AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
EKLegend

EKLegend is on a distinguished road
Default HG preventing blowout

I have a 95 Coupe L (neglected 135K but runs) and a 95 Coupe LS (102K prestine) . Is there proof that having the EGR cleaned will prevent HG problem?
And do dealers perform this type of Service? Its going to be cold here in chicago soon so i am not sure if I want to take on that task.

What has been your experience?
EKLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the roughCaptain Slow is a jewel in the rough

It's a whole process. The valve seals wear out over time and cause the motor to burn oil. All legends burn oil, don't worry about that. This oil eventually collects in the EGR pipe/valve and hardens, but it also collects in the intake manifold. You can still get a BHG with a clean EGR pipe. You need to remove the intake manifold and clean it. The carbon build up is usually as hard as a rock.

Legends blow head gaskets because the ECU can't detect that there's no flow through the EGR. Expecting an amount of unburnt fuel through the EGR, the engine is providing too much timing and too little fuel. This raises cylinder temperatures and the weakest link breaks: the HG. Many people are sold on the legend during the test drive because they can't believe how much power the car has. Well, advancing the timing up to 10 degrees will do that.

When your EGR and intake manifold are clear, it's as difficult to contract a BHG as it is on any other car (very). That doesn't mean you don't have one already, though. My head gaskets were replaced in '04 without cleaning anything. In 2011 when the root cause became common knowledge in the community, I had my IM cleaned. I discovered my HGs were seeping three years later. Outside of members in this community, nobody knows to clear out the intake manifold. Most people don't even bother cleaning the EGR even though it's a 60k mile maintenance item. If your HGs have been replaced before, it's very possible the root cause was never addressed.

There's a lot more information in the link below. I think you can swap in the lower intake from a C35 to permanently correct the problem. I had a 3.5L hybrid motor installed when my HGs went. When you replace your HGs a second time, you need to re-tap the threads for the head bolts. That's a perfectly valid thing to do, but the kits cost enough money to make an engine swap attractive.

http://forums.acuralegend.org/why-le...ts-t18630.html