AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fuel Injector Seal (O-Ring) Replacement

Originally Posted by Pacallen

Finally got a break in the weather to replace my seeping fuel injector seals and o-rings. I've noticed others on here w/ similar issues (fuel smell in the cabin after warm starts, noticeable leaks/seepage around the injectors, etc), so here's a DIY. This basically follows page 185 in the service manual except for the fuel pressure regulator as detailed below.

Ease: 4/10
Time: Approximately 2 hours

Needed: 10mm, 12mm, 17mm, 18mm sockets/wrenches, pointed tool, misc pliers, screwdrivers, and lots of shop towels.

Parts:
There are three seals to replace per injector plus six crush washers and the o-ring for the fuel pressure regulator.

O-rings: 91301-PM7-003 (Discontinued: 16074-ZY3-000 is the same part used on newer Hondas)
Seal Ring: 16472-PH7-003
Cushion Ring: 16473-P10-A01
Pressure Regulator O-Ring: 16741-PG7-005
Seal Washer (crush washers): 90428-PD6-003

DIY
1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

2. (Not pictured) Relieve fuel pressure by holding the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter with an 18mm wrench and loosening the top bolt (service bolt) one turn with a 12mm wrench. Fuel will seep out and just place rags around the areas to keep fuel from going everywhere.

3. Remove the fuel injector electrical connections. You'll see a square metal clip around the bottom of the connector that holds each connector in place. I used a pointed needle tool to lightly pull the metal clip out and moved it up onto the connector itself. Do this for both sides of the connector and it will pull right off w/ very little force.

4. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding fuel pressure regulator on. The manual suggests removing the fuel return hose and vacuum connection but that's just a major PITA. Plus, you can replace an extra o-ring .

5. Remove the fuel lines from the fuel rail using a 17mm socket. Fuel will come out from every bolt so just have lots of towels ready. Remove the 10mm bolts holding the fuel lines in place so you have room to move them around and work.

6. Remove the two 10mm nuts on each fuel rail and remove the fuel rails themselves (pull straight up)

7. The injectors should now be exposed and they can be pulled out by hand. The seal ring (top) and insulator (bottom) will probably remain in the hole so pull em out w/ your finger or a pair of pliers or whatever.

8. Clean and dry each injector and port to remove all the crap that's built up over the years. I used brake cleaner and it seemed to do the trick. On the left is w/ the seals/rings and filter removed/cleaned and the right is the injector right out of the car. The little orange bit at the top of the injector is a little filter that can be removed (or it may be loose already) with your finger nail.

9. Replace the o-ring and cushion ring (both on the top side of the injector) and coat the outside with a little motor oil to help them slide into the fuel rail easier.

10. Coat the seal ring with oil and place on top of the injector insulator (not pictured) inside the fuel injector port. Push the injectors into the fuel rail and align the tabs on the injectors w/ those on the rail.

11. Slide the fuel rail/injectors back into place and push down lightly. Replace all the bolts/fuel lines, replace the fuel pressure regulator o-ring and reattach the regulator to the rail, reconnect the injector connectors (put the metal clip back in its original place and just slide the connector on), tighten the fuel service bolt, reconnect the battery, and you're done!

If you can stand being without a car for a little while, many on here would strongly recommend sending the injectors off to be cleaned. This is my daily driver so that's not an option for me, but even with my cleaning efforts and copious amounts of brake cleaner, there is a noticeable improvement of the minute vibrations during idle.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Rafto

Rafto is on a distinguished road

First, I want to thank pacallen and sam o nela for posting this, it was of great help. I've had a leaky injector for a while, and it finally got to the point where the car was hard to start. I followed the procedure here, except I'm a lazy guy, and I couldn't get all the seals listed.

Yesterday I went to the local dealer to get the seals. Well, the only ones they stock are the O-rings (the most important part!). The parts guy, who I've known for a while, said no one buys the other parts and he sent them back to Honda - the techs at the dealer only replace the O-rings, the others rarely fail. So I did a less extensive repair last night - just the O-rings.

The O-rings on my injectors practically fell apart while I was removing them, I was surprised they weren't ALL leaking. But the new O-rings are doing their job, so no more gasoline smell in my car.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Rafto; 01-19-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: fix typo
Rafto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
dariush

dariush is on a distinguished road

Hey Can you tell me how to replace this part?

thanks
dariush is offline   Reply With Quote