AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Main Relay Repair

Originally Posted by Pacallen

The main relay is a common weak point for all late 80s/early 90s Honda vehicles, and the Legend is no exception. The symptoms are presented on http://techauto.tripod.com/ and the solutions are http://techauto.te.funpic.org/solutions.php. This is a DIY tailored specifically to Legend G1s.

When the main relay was originally assembled, too little solder was used on the circuit board, and after years of hot and cold cycles, the solder developed tiny cracks, resulting in a no-start situation because the fuel pump does not receive a signal turn on. The problem typically presents itself on very hot days, especially after the car has been recently run. This DIY shows how to repair the main relay in as little as 30 minutes. Even if your car has yet to show the symptoms, it is so easy to do, I would recommend it as a preventative measure.

Tools:
Phillips Screwdriver
Soldering Iron
Solder

1. First, remove the two lower panel screws and disconnect all four electrical connectors.

2. Remove the two vent screws. The main relay can now be seen by looking straight up around the location of the clutch pedal (this is even easier if you have an auto).

3. This is the main relay. Remove the electrical connector. Next is the hardest part because of the location of the relay but is so much easier thanks to KAHRuzer's suggestion to remove the innards instead of the entire main relay itself. The innards are held in to the outer black case by two tabs. Press back the unseen tab and pull down on the brown part of the main relay. Now do the same with the other tab and pull the brown innards out of the case. This takes a little patience but is so much easier than finding a way to get to the screw that's on top of the main relay's black case.

4. These are the "innards" of the relay and the solder tools you'll need. If you look very closely, you'll see some minuscule cracks in the solder, especially around the connections that have very little solder to begin with (http://techauto.te.funpic.org/images...ydryjoint.jpg). I have very little soldering experience (I just bought my first solder iron for this task... $13.99 at Home Depot) but this board was very easy to solder with a little patience. Simply add solder to all the connections that appear to need it (I added to 10-15 of the connections)

5. Here is the repaired relay. Installation is very simple and is the reverse of removal.

Let me know if you have any questions!
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
MD_LegendLS_90
G1 Fan

MD_LegendLS_90 is on a distinguished road

hgeez: Wish I'd found this before I replaced the unit >_<
MD_LegendLS_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
dariush

dariush is on a distinguished road

can you explain more, i dont see any difference in the two pictures.
Like are you removing the solders, because they are touching each other, or you are actually putting them together?

Or you are adding the solders
dariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Basically adding more.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
NuclearSymphony
130R

NuclearSymphony will become famous soon enough

Yup, just piling more on top of the existing contact point. Worked like a charm on mine, thanks again Gabe!
NuclearSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
JASTORGA

JASTORGA is on a distinguished road

THIS WORKED OUT GREAT MY CAR WAS BROKE DOWN FOR A LONG TIME AND THIS JUST HAPPENED TO DO THE TRICK!
JASTORGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Road Runner.

Road Runner. is on a distinguished road
Default Better late than never.

Wow, I had this problem for ages. My car would'nt start at various times when hot. At first I thought is was weak battery power, then I thought it was dirty fuel and then some sort of electrical problem. What made things more confusing was that it used to always start when cold. I took it to a couple of mechanics and they did'nt know either. I finally got lucky and found this great website and once I read about the Main Relay I knew it was the problem. I re-soldered all the joints and my Legend starts everytime. Thanks so much. It made my day.
Road Runner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Nitteberg
Nitteberg.com

Nitteberg is on a distinguished road

Did this today, so far better than before
Nitteberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
T-Clyde
Canter-Buried Alive

T-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the rough

Just throwing this out there, I've fixed multiple honda door lock modules the same way.
OEM Parts for Sale
RIP
Maintenance > Modification
T-Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote