AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Hey guess, I got another DIY on how to remove the mirror glass. If a mod would be kind to move this to the DIY section, that'll be cool.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT hold responsible if you damage your item or if you hurt yourself. Be really careful when handling the Heat Gun.

The mirror I have is a heated mirror. The things that you will need to remove the mirror glass are:

Heat Gun, Phillip Screwdriver, Flathead Screwdriver, a Tiny Flathead Screwdriver, and Scissor/Blade.

1) (No Pics) The first thing you want to do is remove the door panel, and disconnect the plugs that goes to the mirrors. Once the wires are free, remove the little cover to get some screws and a bolt. Remove the 3 screws with a Phillip Screwdriver that is holding the mirror. Be careful when removing the mirror as you don't want to drop it. Then carefully pull the wires out from the door.

2) Next, go find a table or some place where you are comfortable working. Once you find a spot, your gonna need to remove the pins from the plug. So the first thing to do is remove the foam and tape on the plug until it looks like this:

3) Once you got the tape removed, write down how the pins are placed. Then grab the tiny Flathead Screwdriver and lift up the tab to remove the pins:

4) Once you got the plugs out of the way, remove the tape that is holding the wires together. Either use a Scissor or a Blade if you can't remove the tape by hand. Also try not to cut a wire:

5) Once the tape is gone, carefully remove the gasket and try not to rip off the pins:

6) Behind the gasket, there is a white tab that you need to remove with a Phillip Screwdriver:

7) Under the mirror, there are 2 screws that you need to remove:

Then carefully remove the mirror holder:

8) Next step, bring out the Heat Gun. Either go clockwise or counter-clockwise on the rim where the glass sits for at least 40 secs to 1 min. depends on how hot your Heat Gun gets:

9) Once its nice and hot, grab a Flathead Screwdriver and carefully pry the glass out of the rim on the outside part of the mirror and carefully go around:

There is going to be some adhesive behind the glass, so carefully pull the glass up, but do not remove the mirrors yet cause there are wires behind it:

10) Behind the glass, there is only one screw that you need to take off. Be careful when unscrewing it cause its holding down a short spring, so don't let it fly out and hit you:

11) Once you got the screw and spring out of the way, pull up the tray that holds the mirror until it is free:

12) Your almost there from removing the mirror. Next step is to remove the 6 screws holding down the front cover of the mirror:

13) Next, remove the visible 5 screws:

Then pull back the motor and there should be 1 hidden screw:

14) Now remove everything in there and pull out the wires that goes to the mirror:

There you go, you successfully removed the heated mirror. To put everything back together, do the steps backwards. To put the glass back in the rim, push the glass back in carefully with a little bit of heat to soften it with the Heat Gun. Hope this helps out if your mirror ends up giving up on you. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by sam o nela; 06-27-2009 at 12:36 PM.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
MD_LegendLS_90
G1 Fan

MD_LegendLS_90 is on a distinguished road

What would cause the mirror to wobble, even if the motor works fine? My driver-side glass looks like it's caught in an earthquake!
MD_LegendLS_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about

Seems like the screw with the spring that is behind the glass needs to be tighten.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
samo8ty5

samo8ty5 is on a distinguished road

hey do u know if u can peel up the heating part of the mirror. i want to put in those LED arrows like new cars have.
samo8ty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

Hmm, not sure. I got a spare heading mirrors. I'll try it out when I get off and let you know if it's possible.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
samo8ty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy415 View Post
Hmm, not sure. I got a spare heading mirrors. I'll try it out when I get off and let you know if it's possible.
thanks bro i really wanna do this mod with the LED arrows. i have a extra or had 1 too but it seem like its gone. i just dont wanna mess up the heating pad on the mirrors since it comes in handy
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

K, it looks like you can peel back the heating pad on the mirror, but be really careful when doing that.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
Old 07-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
samo8ty5

cool, thanks. just to be on the safe side ill goto the yard and get me a set mirrors (just the glass). ill use those to do this mod with. and save my good mirror glass just in case.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
samo8ty5

ok i just tested my now found spair mirror and yeah everything looks good to do my led arrow mod. so stay tuned!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
korrupt1

korrupt1 is on a distinguished road

I need to take apart my drivers since the thing dont move correctly...assuming there is something wrong under there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboyx View Post
Crap I forgot this was the G1 section.
hgeez:

RIP One...
korrupt1 is offline   Reply With Quote