AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oil Cooler Figure 8 Gasket/Cooler Hose

Originally posted by Pacallen

Hey all... Recently did this really annoying and painful job and decided we might as well get a DIY out of it :P

If you have oil seepage or leaking near your passenger side wheel area, the oil cooler gasket could be the culprit. It's relatively simple in terms of parts, but getting to it and replacing the oil cooler hoses can be a real pain.

Tools:
Socket wrench - 10, 12 mm sockets, extensions
Phillips screwdrivers
Pliers, vice grips, anything small that clamps!

Parts:
19422-PH7-010 HOSE, IN. OIL COOLER
19423-PH7-010 HOSE, OIL COOLER OUTLET
91318-PY3-000 GASKET, OIL PUMP

Here are the replacement parts (not the tidiest of work areas!)

1. To begin, drain the oil and coolant from the radiator and remove the oil filter.

2. Remove the bumper and under engine splashguard (or at least enough to get clear access to the oil cooler.

Here's my dirty, beat to hell Legend after a 650 mile trip from Chicago to Kansas City with everything removed and ready for the oil cooler job.

First light on the oil cooler since 1989

3. Remove the plug cover circled in red. Mine was completely fossilized and half broke off when i took it off. When I put it back together I just used high temp silicon gasket maker to mate the pieces back together. Next, remove the single wire attached to the oil pressure sensor with a small Phillips screwdriver.

4. Remove the three long screws (10mm or 12mm) holding the cooler on to the engine. Be prepared for some oil to spill out as you pull the cooler from the engine.

5. Using vice grips or pliers, push back the clips and remove the two oil cooler hoses on top of the oil cooler (you may need to cut them off if you have corrosion). Also, you may have noticed that you only drained about a gallon or so of the coolant from the radiator... The other gallon or so will come out when you disconnect the coolant hoses. The manual said be prepared for coolant but I didn't really heed that advice and ended up with a nice green river flowing out the garage! Finally you can remove the oil cooler itself and the figure-8 gasket.

Here it is after the oil cooler was removed:

6. Disconnect inlet/oulet hoses. This is the painful bit... again it may be a lot easier to just cut off the hoses.

Below the circled wire plugs is where the outlet hose connects to the outlet pipe. Vise grips saved me on this part!

7. Installation is the reverse! I had some corrosion and did my best to smooth things out and remove it w/ a little steel wool and sand paper. You may find a tiny bit of lithium grease goes a long way to helping the new hoses slip on.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Tippey
Pony

Tippey will become famous soon enough
Default Oil cooler gasket

I didn't see a DIY on here for this so i decided to make one

Tools required

Jack
lug wrench
12mm socket and extension
10mm socket
torque wrench ( highly recommended but not required )
Flat head screw driver
Drain pan
jack stand

Parts required

x1 oil cooler gasket, only avaliable through acura

part number : 91318-py3-000

Step 1: jack up the car and remove the wheel. Don't forget to use a jack stand.

Step 2: remove the splash shield enough to get it out of your way

Step 3: remove these 3 bolts ( be aware that the lower bolt is longer than the 2 upper bolts )

Step 4: pull back the assembly and you will see the gasket in question, use your flat head screw driver to pull it off.

step 5: look at how some hopeless soul decided to put RTV on it and cry inside a little bit

Step 6: As you cringe at the thought that you just spent $16 on this little gasket pull it out of the package

Step 7: put it into place

Step 8: re install the assembly and torque the nuts to 16 foot pounds

Step 9: Start up the car and check for leaks.

Step 10: re install the splash shield, wheel and lower the car back down.'

Pretty simple.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
dmjole

dmjole is on a distinguished road

Will it still work if I don't cry as you specify in step 5?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
PSA

PSA is on a distinguished road

Before step 4 be sure that the coolant hoses haven't been on there since George crossed the Delaware. If they are hard as a rock they may crack when moving the flange.
PSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

^Good point, might as well replace them since you're in the area. Although if you have a long slow leak as I did on the 90L, the oil will keep the hoses nice and soft, though it's best to just replace them.

Nicely done. How much oil was it leaking?

You posted elsewhere that the info center had trouble reading the oil level sensor. Has it never worked or was it intermittent? Is it pictured above?
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

This kit is about $10 from Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=477165

The hoses to the oil cooler should be replaced. Connect the hoses to the oil cooler before installing it, then work the straight one onto the fitting on the block. The curved hose is fairly easy to connect to the coolant tube,

It's also a good idea to clean out the oil cooler and replace the o-rings inside it.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Tippey
Pony

Tippey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes View Post
^Good point, might as well replace them since you're in the area. Although if you have a long slow leak as I did on the 90L, the oil will keep the hoses nice and soft, though it's best to just replace them.

Nicely done. How much oil was it leaking?

You posted elsewhere that the info center had trouble reading the oil level sensor. Has it never worked or was it intermittent? Is it pictured above?
Oil was dripping out at visibly while the car was running from multiple spots. It was pretty bad

And yes the info center never could read the oil right. We cleaned out the sensor when we did the oil pan and now it seems to be working correctly.

No it is no pictured above.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

The old DIY is under "G1 DIY" under the "G1 FAQ..." sticky:

http://forums.acuralegend.org/oil-co...-t63.html?t=63

But it never hurts to have a second perspective.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
billthomas

billthomas is on a distinguished road

They all lead after some time. I've done this three times.
billthomas is offline   Reply With Quote