AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 06-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lifter Ticking - Let's do some thinking and try to understand

Originally Posted by GreyLegend

Hey, lifter tickin thing is driving everybody crazy.

Remember there's two possible reasons for the lifters not to work properly ( They're also called HYDRAULIC TAPPETS).

A. Not enough oil flow and pressure getting there. Auto-RX will help there, and

B. the other reason could be maybe they're not sealing properly and won't hold pressure. Auto-RX can't heal a worn out lifter.

Check here: for a better concept.
Page 5-25 or 7 of the PDF document
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendC...sg000/5-20.pdf

NOTE::::: the first step is to check for damage "for wear or damage or for a clogged oil hole."

When we Auto-RX we're hoping for a clogged oil hole that sludge might have blocked and Auto-RX to help dissolve and clear it.
IF there is wear and no clogging, then Auto-RX may or may not help the situation with respect to noise.

How can we help the situation if there is wear. 1. Use a thicker oil/ heavier oil. This will help allow the lifter/hydraulic tappet to develop more pressure by having less leakage.

Now if you think about this carefully, you'll understand why some people report that using 20w-50 helped their situation and some people report that 5w-30 helped theirs. Total confusion.

Now if you have ticking, understand this. If the ticking is due to a clogged oil hole and you use a thicker oil. You could end up doing more damage. Why? oil is not getting where it needs to get to and you'll eventually end up with situation B. - worn out lifters and further clogging.

So if you have ticking, here's what I recommend. Try the Auto-RX routine or some other safe sludge cleansing routine that gets deep inside and hope it goes away. If it does, you had a clogged oil hole and you've cleared it. If after two tries with Auto-RX and it does not go away, I say try a heavier oil.

Now Steveman recommends that Friction free stuff. That stuff is supposed to have small metal particles that "coat" walls. I can see it possibly working in situation B. Where the lifter are worn and can't hold pressure it may help develop a better seal However, I can also see if it was a situation A where there was clogging, then possibly it may do more harm. - It does not clear clogged holes.

I think no matter what if you have ticking I would tend to recommend a treatment of some type that cleans and clears out sludge first as that will cause no damage buy rather help overall operation of the engine. If the noise does not go away try a heavier oil or Steveman's recommended product.

The only surefire, but expensive way is to replace all the lifters - 24 of them by taking the head apart. So take your pick and remember once you get rid of the noise, always keep your oil in good shape as that was the cause of the noise in the first place.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

Personal experience:

Bought the G1 coupe with 140k miles and ticking tappets.

I replaced a quart of engine oil @ every oil change with Lucas Oil Stabilizer, using a medium grade, fully natural, 5W-30 oil. (And Honda filters)

Before the car could get to 150k miles, the ticking had completely ceased. I also noticed the inside of the valve covers were much cleaner looking than before.

Toned it down to replacing HALF a quart of the oil with Lucas @ every oil change. It kept getting cleaner, and quieter.

This motor kept running quiet until it reached 350k miles, at which point it had started knocking from worn piston skirts. I took it apart and inspected the tappets (among other things) and they were surprisingly still very springy, and returned to their expanded position very quickly. They were very healthy looking for 350,000 miles, and had very little deposit around the "holes".

I trust Lucas. It's a good product in my book. If you're going to take apart your engine to try and clean your lifters, trust me, you're better off going and getting a new set. They won't clean up outside of the engine. I think the heat and constant working of the lifter, WITH GOOD CLEAN OIL and some Lucas, does the best job of cleaning. YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM CLEAN, WITH OR WITHOUT LUCAS, IF YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR OIL ON TIME. Screw 3000 miles, get it every 2,500.

Obviously, if the holes have completely clogged up, then the Lucas may not help, but neither will anything else, so you'll have to get new(ish) ones.

Personally, I've never bought new lifters. Junkyard. There is a test you can perform in the service manual, but if they are very springy (not too loose, tho. Needs to still be kind of stiff) then they are fine.
"Chopped" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Nine Four One
Not on much....

Nine Four One has a spectacular aura aboutNine Four One has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nine Four One

agree to a certain point, honda passports have the same issue with them and can be helped out as long as the springs are not worn out in that case no oil or cleaner will help but one thing that i tried since we do it for customers at work and i wasnt payin labor i thought id try. and that was to do an oil change with 0w20 and let the car run at idle for a while i let mine run for the better part of 35-45 minutes ust cause i had other work to do on the car then drain oil and change filter and just use what ever oil you normally use. and tha helped alot with my lifter tick compared to how it was wheni first got it. and having the thinner oil gets up into the passages and "cleans" them out slightly and lets your normal oil get to where it needs to be. and as i said i know from first hand that it helped, no hearsay or anything. but thats just my 2 cents on it.
Nine Four One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
kitchwatembo
shot caller

kitchwatembo is on a distinguished road

This is from a mustang site:

Quote:
here is a trick i have used for years and it has worked every time....

get about 1/2 quart of desil fuel and pour it into your oil,drive around for a few ours or a day or two right befor an oil change, make sure u drive in a gear lower then u uausaly do(if its a 5 speed) to keep the rpm's up to keep your oil pressure up.the heat of your engine plus the desil fuel breaks all the sludge that are blocking and clogging all your oil ports and the desil is oil based so its safe on bearings and internal parts it wont dry it out. then change your oil and all that nasty stuff will come out with it. i also reccommend changind your oil filter about half way through your next oil change to catch any debris that is still in there.

there is a product at your autoparts store for like 6 dollars but IMO the desil works better and it only cost about .50 cents...

it was funny i did it in my VW and i drove up to the pump poped my hood and put the desil nozzle right in the oil fill hole everyone at the gas station was like ate you crazy lol..
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...fter-tick.html

Has anyone tried this?
Seems simple and cheap enough, but I wouldn't want to do it if it were Mustang specific.

-jason

-jason
kitchwatembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
filmshoot
Kierkegaard binge

filmshoot is on a distinguished road

will that harm your seals?
filmshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
kitchwatembo
shot caller

kitchwatembo is on a distinguished road

yea i'm not sure if that will damage anything. I was hoping some g1 guru's could weigh in on the matter

-jason
kitchwatembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Yup, that'll work. BDAZZG1 (Tony) has done this, but I don't know the results.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Pnoye02 tried before smogging his car...there werent sny immediate results...but dont know if he has any updates...

EDIT:

Just noticed they originally said diesel....I believe BDAZZG1 stated ATF....and don't drive...just let it idle for 30 minutes or so
RIP fut

Last edited by sam o nela; 10-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
scythe

scythe is on a distinguished road

They suggest putting 3/4 of a quart (750ml or 3 cups) of diesel in the oil...
Wouldn't that be a little risky.
While diesel is oil based it is not a lubricant
Granted diesel is a good solvent and cleaner, alot of the time that's what a high percentage of commercial parts cleaning solutions contain.

I can understand letting the car idle for a good 30mins or so but to actually drive around on it sounds risky, ignition point for diesel is about 150*c.
But having said that we use "Certrex70" (a diesel and kerosene mix) to clean glue, oil and grease off parts at work (heated to about 70*c).

But again it raises the concern or breaking loose larger deposits.
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
89HondaLegend
Old School

Hmm I wouldn't worry about dislodged particles... the oil filter will take care of those.

I do rather like the idea of mixing diesel in, I reckon it would help a LOT however I just won't want to be the guinea pig.
Anyone else want to put some diesel in their crankcase?

RIP Fut
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote