AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default 9004 to 9007 Bulb Conversion

Well guys, this one turned out to be a pretty easy one...but please keep in mind that if you are switching to a higher output bulb, it is in your best intersest to also upgrade your harness...you'll get even BETTER lighting and peace of mind know that your harness will not melt like butter in a microwave! Me or the forum can't be held responsible for when things go bad!

Step One:
Remove your headlight bulb by turning the lock counter-clockwise.

Step Two:
Typically, you should be able to press down on the release tab and this will enable you to remove the 9004 bulb. However, mine was on quite well, and the release tab would not move enough to release the bulb socket. I used a micro screwdriver to pry it up and the light came right out...you may or may not run into this.

Step Three:
Discard the old bulb however you please (swapmeet, give away to family member's car, whatever) because you will not be using it again...

Step Four:
Switch the Ground (on my 87L the Ground was Red with a White Stripe, but in my manual it said it'd be black...maybe it is black on newer Legends 88-90) wire in the center with the Low Beam wire on the left (on driver's side it is Red with a Yellow stripe, on Passenger side it is Red with a Green stripe). Use the Micro screwdriver to press back the retaining tabs inside the harness plug and simply pull the wire out, and plug it back into opposite socket.

Step Five:
Now this will probably be the most labor intensive part. The bulb housing contains three "nubs" to guide a 9004 bulb. This will not work for the 9007 as 2 of the 3 do not line up. You will need to file down the two lower nubs leaving the top one alone because it WILL guide the 9007. Remove the battery if need be from the Driver's side but the passenger's side will be a tighter fit. Just remember that good things come to those who are patient. DO NOT go crazy with the file as it may deform the bulb housing...like i said...PATIENCE...also...you can stick a paper towel or rag into the housing so that shavings won't get inside, or I just put the Shop Vac right there so that they'd immediately be sucked away...

Step Six:
Once you think that the nubs are pretty much gone, put the bulb and the lock into the bulb housing to see if they fit snugly and will lock easily...if it gives you a lot of trouble, the nubs may still need a bit more fileing (sp?)...

Step Seven:
Once the bulbs will fit snugly and lock without too much resistance, plug them into the harness and lock them into the headlight...After you do anything to your headlights they may need to be realigned...make sure that you do that if you need to, but if everything went according to plan, that should not be too much of a problem...

Due to the recent storms here in Southern Cali, I couldn't get any decent pics last night. But if tonight is dry, I will take some pics alongside my GF's I30t with Silverstar 9004's for a comparisson. But lets just say that the improvement is DEFINITELY worth the 15-30 minutes this job will cost you! Here's a teaser. Enjoy! (Im on the right in case you couldnt tell)
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Ken
ridin' high

Ken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ken

glad to see that this made it over here. I did this mod, but instead, I dremeled the bulbs, and it is MUCH brighter than stock. It really improved driving at night.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
neogeek

neogeek is on a distinguished road

How should I go about upgrading my harness?
neogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
neogeek

neogeek is on a distinguished road

Thought I would revisit this. Any chance you could tell me how I would go about upgrading the wiring harness?

Thanks
neogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest, I would either stay within the wattage rating or just upgrade to HIDs....

When I made this back in like 03 (lol at how I called it my "GF's" I30t..we've been married almost 5 years now haha) HID upgrade kits weren't as cheap (cost wise) as they are these days...
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
AcuraLegend55k1990
{Legend}{Supporter}

AcuraLegend55k1990 is on a distinguished road

Thanks congrats to you and your wife me and my girl just worked settings out and now I'm reading your post thanks man!!
AcuraLegend55k1990 is offline   Reply With Quote