AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Painting Brake Calipers w/o Removal

Hey guys here it is!! This is the DIY for painting your brake calipers without removal.

Removal is always best, but this works too!

This is an easy one guys…
Here are the materials needed:
~Large can of Brake Cleaner
~Engine 500 paint (500 degree engine paint will definitely survive the high temperatures created by the calipers)
~Wire brush
~Oil/catch pan
~Masking Tape
~Newspapers

STEP 1

Of course you need to raise the car up on to jack stands (don’t ever work on or get under a car supported by only a jack!!). Since you will be taking off the wheels, if you happen to have 4 jack stands, use this time to rotate your tires if you need to….

STEP 2

Place the catch pan under the brake assembly to collect the brake cleaner as it drips down. Spray the calipers liberally and use the wire brush to remove any caked on or hard to remove brake dust, oil, dirt, etc. Most brake cleaners are fast drying, so continue spray/brush them clean until they look fairly clean. While the caliper is drying, you can begin the next step.

STEP 3

Use the newspapers to mask off any areas that you do not want to be painted…the wheel wells, brake hose(s), rotor backing plate…in my case, I did not mask off the rotor because I was going to change it out anyhow, so you may want to. If a little paint gets onto the face of the rotor, it’s not a big deal because it will come right off in normal driving BUT…DO NOT get any paint into the front rotors’ vents as this may lead to decreased cooling/heat dissipation capabilities of the rotor assembly.

Also remember to mask off the bleed nipple so that no paint can get in and possibly clog it up.

STEP 4

After everything is prepped, and the brake cleaner is completely 100% dry, you can now start painting. The trick is to do several thin coats as opposed to 1 or 2 thick coats. The reason for the thinner coats is to significantly reduce the required drying time, and prevent running/dipping. I ended up doing 5 coats with 15-30 minutes between each coat. How many you do is completely up to you. Also, spraying on a clear coat is also an option that I have heard looks very nice.

Here’s the finished product

Here’s the FINSHED-finished product:
BEFORE

AFTER

Remember you can do any color you'd like and this is a VERY easy DIY that you can definitley do on your own on a Saturday morning (assuming you have two funtioning wrists ). ENJOY!!

Last edited by sam o nela; 07-13-2017 at 01:10 AM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Qs91Coupe

Qs91Coupe is on a distinguished road

Glad I found this one again. Great DIY!!

Check out my 4 sale thread:Click here!!
Qs91Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
White Rider 92

White Rider 92 is on a distinguished road

its a cool DIY but if you removing the rotor anyways why just not remove the caliper? Atleast you can hang it with a hanger so you wont unplug it. It came out nice though
White Rider 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Qs91Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rider 92 View Post
its a cool DIY but if you removing the rotor anyways why just not remove the caliper? Atleast you can hang it with a hanger so you wont unplug it. It came out nice though
I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to keep my rotors so going to remove the caliper and wrap everything in newspaper and spray spray spray.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

I should point out that when this DIY was made back in 2004 or 05, I was recovering from a broken wrist. So I only had full use of one hand. My wrist that had been broken couldn't even support the weight of the caliper without being in excruciating pain

My uncle actually had to come over and help me with lifting stuff for the job lol.
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Qs91Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
I should point out that when this DIY was made back in 2004 or 05, I was recovering from a broken wrist. So I only had full use of one hand. My wrist that had been broken couldn't even support the weight of the caliper without being in excruciating pain

My uncle actually had to come over and help me with lifting stuff for the job lol.
That's dedication to the forum.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Alperovich
The Stig

Alperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the rough

few things real quick, if u don't wanna get paint all over the rotor, i just cover the rotor area with either a rag or news paper but a rag works really well, that's how i do mine, just cover everything but the caliper and bracket with the rag (old tshirt) and paint, very quick and simple process. end result...

94 KA8 DMM LS 6spd "MISTY" 2017-present
94 KA8 Milano LS 6spd "Milano" 2012-2017 RIP stupid camry
94 KA8 SGM LS 6spd "Annie" 2008-???*top secret*
94 KA7 DMM GS auto "Misty" 2008 RIP
93 KA8 GBP LS 6spd 2005-2008 RIP

FOR SALE:dotORG + I<3myLegend(KA/KB) stickers! +more
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
LowPSI

LowPSI will become famous soon enough

Hopefully soon, I'll be DIYing my calipers. Great DIY.

PS, I bought the (white) ACURA lettering for the calipers on eBay - $6 for a set

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tgmbio
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
BEFORE

AFTER
I love the way the "before" pic has rusty old rotors and the "after" pic has the shiny drilled and slotted rotors. Reminds me of those wrinkle cream or
hair replacement ads.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Krizno
Small fry

Krizno is on a distinguished road

Looks like the box of rotors I have in my bedroom lol