AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fan Control Unit Repair

Originally Posted by Jay P

Hi all, thought I’d add a post for those who are suffering with whacky radiator fan & A/C behavior.

Here’s the symptoms I had:

A/C clutch would engage at every start (A/C switch in the off position ! ) for ~ 5 to 10 minutes.
If it was hot and the car restarted after an hour or less, the A/C would not work, no clutch engagement.
The car came to me with a worn out A/C condenser fan.
The rad fans would run at high speed at every start for a few minutes. At times the fans would turn on and off and vary their speed.

So A/C on cool mornings, and no A/C on hot afternoons getting into a parked car… grrrr

The cure, you guessed it, resolder some of the joints on the fan controller board.
I had eyeballed the board previously and it seemed ok, during inspection #2 I got out the magnifier and found about 10 bad solder joints. What I saw were circular cracks in the solder joints on the back of the board. The solder joints are about 1/16” in diameter, the cracks ran around the wire of the attached component and formed circles about 1/3 of the diameter of the solder joint. This left the wire attached to a little cone of solder that had separated form the main part of each affected joint. Presumably these cracks were caused by thermal cycling, perhaps the amount of solder applied was inadequate. In any event I resoldered using a small soldering iron (not a soldering gun) and some fine electronic solder. It seems to work just fine now.

Cheers, Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchwatembo View Post
well if anyone else needed to know what the RFC looked like i got some pics

also i have a picture of the contacts, and i needed to know, which of the contacts must be re soldered? is it just all of them or only a certain few?

thanks for any help

Last edited by sam o nela; 01-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
mrpuffin708

mrpuffin708 is on a distinguished road

can anybody tell me or show me where the fan controller board is on a 90 sedan. my fans are not working all of a sudden and the motors are good... i just cant figure out where the problem is. any help would be greatly apprecitated.
thanks

btw. i love this forum. i havent had my legend too long and this forum has become my best friend.
mrpuffin708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
mrpuffin708

thank you for fixing the pics. can you tell me where the controller is located?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
telafonic

telafonic will become famous soon enough

It's a pain to get to. It's up inside the driver's side dash. You have to lay upside-down and look up to see it.
Remember we have an online manual. Here is a pic.

Yours might not have a penny on it though.

Last edited by telafonic; 01-28-2010 at 12:54 AM.
telafonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
mrpuffin708

can anyone show me where the ecu is in a sedan. its not under the passenger carpet... i have no idea
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

The ECU for the Sedan is under the passenger seat.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Wayne-A-Ferd
The Slow Cruiser

Wayne-A-Ferd is on a distinguished road

thanks bro