AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 06-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Dethred
A-L.com FAIL

Dethred is on a distinguished road
Default Any TV experts?

When the wife and I move into the new house, we're going to be buying a new TV. We're moving up from a 30" CRT piece of shit that barely works, and want to splurge.

I found this on Newegg, and from the specs it looks good. My only question is: Why is it half the price of other 60" Plasmas?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889005095

I want to be sure its a good TV, and I'm going to be running an Home Theater PC through it via HDMI. Only problem I can see off the bat is the one HDMI input, no PC input. Can I run a receiver from the HTPC and up to the TV?

Is it possible with one HDMI on the TV, to have an HTPC and surround sound receiver setup?
-2005 Honda S2000 (15k mi) (Sold, and crashed)
-1992 Acura Legend Sedan (220k+ mile, scraped)
Dethred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
MondiVTEC
light that shit!

MondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMondiVTEC has a spectacular aura about

U sure u want a plasma and not an LCD?
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Dethred
A-L.com FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondiVTEC View Post
U sure u want a plasma and not an LCD?
Yeah, from what I've seen so far, Plasma has better viewing angles, and this particular TV has a great price/size ratio. I just want to know whether or not its crap. Seems like it was just released, as there are no reviews (critics or buyers) so far.

I just read up on it a bit more, it has 3 HDMI inputs. Any other input from TV gurus?

Last edited by Dethred; 06-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred View Post
I want to be sure its a good TV, and I'm going to be running an Home Theater PC through it via HDMI. Only problem I can see off the bat is the one HDMI input, no PC input. Can I run a receiver from the HTPC and up to the TV?

Is it possible with one HDMI on the TV, to have an HTPC and surround sound receiver setup?
You can make pretty much any configuration work when a PC is involved. Any DVI out can go straight into HDMI with a really simple and cheap adapter. The PC can send its audio straight to the receiver in whatever format it accepts, it doesn't need to go through HDMI. Unless you're using the TVs speakers, the TV doesn't need audio at all. If the PC is going to be your only source for video, that's all you need. What other devices do you plan to use?
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Dethred
A-L.com FAIL

Just the TV, HTPC, 5.1 receiver. The HTPC will handle all media (soft or hard).
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
UNCLEgend
Stay Thirsty!!

UNCLEgend is on a distinguished road

To repeat Matt's question ... You sure you want plasma and not LCD?

Let me explain. IMHO Plasma is the best technology from 5 years ago. In terms of lifespan, they are not up to LCD at present. The next wave of technology is exemplified by the Mitsubishi Laservue line. Waaay too pricey to buy now, but will likely run plasma out of the market owing to technology and lifespan.

We just bought another Mitsubishi about 5 months ago. It was this model...

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/LT52149

When we went to HH Gregg to look at a boatload of LCDs side-by-side, this one just leaped from the wall compared to the others. Football, drama, DVDs ... you name it. It gave all of the plasmas a run for the money. I've owned nothing but Mitsubishi's for the past 20 years starting with a 19" model. The two things that distinguish them are (1) the best true reds, and (2) the best fleshtones in the business.

Hey, you like what you like! I'm just sayin' that you owe yourself a look at their current line of LCDs in comparison to anything else. Bang for the buck? No question, Mitsubishi.

<Work><Akebono><Powerslot><Koni><Remus><MLS Copy><Addco><Fut Tie Bars><JDM-HID-PIAA><Red-Black Calipers><Alpine>
UNCLEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Dethred
A-L.com FAIL

I was looking at Mitsu DLP's, but our den is going to be too small to fit a TV that size in the living room (we looked at 65" DLP).

I am not sure between LCD and DLP, but I know a few things I don't want to deal with.

-Viewing angle problems
-Black areas not being dark enough,
-Stuck or dead pixels vs. warranty.

From what I understand, either LCD or Plasma will last over 20 years when running the TV for 6 hours a day. We run ours maybe 2 hours a day at most between the two of us on average. By the time longevity becomes an issue, there will be something much bigger and better out there.

My biggest limiting factor is price. We have set aside the money for this, and I NEED a new receiver and speakers, and I plan on building an HTPC. So, my budget is no more than about 1800-2000 for a TV. This one seems to be packed with features, has a decent price, and the bottom end of what size we're looking for. I have bad vision and would prefer something >55", and this is the only thing in our price range.

As for the specs on it, does it look all right? Is the 600hz spec the actual refresh rate, or is it some gimmick to trick people?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I am not sure between LCD and DLP, but I know a few things I don't want to deal with.
-Viewing angle problems
-Black areas not being dark enough,
-Stuck or dead pixels vs. warranty.
I'm a fan of DLP's, it's what I have. They're becoming less common these days, not because they are inferior (they're not) but only because people are demanding flat-panels. They are cheaper per inch than any other current technology. Plasma and LCD can both suffer from dead pixels and burn-in/ghosting, but they're less common than they used to be. DLP does not have this problem.

Quote:
As for the specs on it, does it look all right? Is the 600hz spec the actual refresh rate, or is it some gimmick to trick people?
That specification isn't the refresh rate. It's just LG's marketing speak. The same goes for that 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a bad TV, just don't beleive the specs on any TV. All manufacturers use different methods for testing their specs and they can't be compared to each other that way.

Last edited by Quaraxkad; 06-14-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Dethred
A-L.com FAIL

Hmmm, how would I go about seeing what the real refresh rate and contrast ratio are?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quote:
Hmmm, how would I go about seeing what the real refresh rate and contrast ratio are?
You can usually find out by reading reviews, but if it's so new that there aren't any yet, I don't know. Maybe someone on www.avsforum.com knows.