AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
007Legend
S.L.A.B.

007Legend is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Brake pedal goes to floor after 3 master cylinder replacements

My mechanic and I have been dealing with an issue with my brakes on my 91 Sedan. The brake pedals go directly to the floor. No mushiness, no slow fall to the floor, just straight to the floor. Making the car unsafe to drive at all.

He says there are no leaks, he bled the brakes 3 times and has replaced the master cylinder 3 times as well. Is there anything else to check for besides the MC and air in the lines?

Someone at the shop also asked if we thought it was the ABS Module, but I did not know how to diagnose issues with the ABS and I figured the ABS light would be on or flashing, which it is not.
007Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

Did your mechanic bench bleed the master before installing? You should also check all the lines going into and out of the ABS to make sure you don't have a leak there. I'm assuming your mechanic already checked the brake booster too?

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
007Legend
S.L.A.B.

007Legend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
I'm assuming your mechanic already checked the brake booster too?
No he hasn't, but what are the symptoms of a brake booster failure? He thinks it is the ABS system under the hood that needs replacing.
007Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Guario

Guario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Legend View Post
He thinks it is the ABS system under the hood that needs replacing.
In such case you would have some back flow from the MC reservoir to the ABS reservoir, or a brake fluid leak under the ABS assembly area. The ABS assembly serves as partitioning valve for our cars. Try bleeding the ABS unit, there is a DIY from other Acura model that works well for Legends, and without the special tool. Else, a failed caliper or broken brake line.
Guario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

A failed brake booster will cause the pedal to hard. The brake system is loosing pressure somewhere so there is definitely a leak in the system. You don't have to loose a lot of fluid for the system to loose pressure either. Next time try having someone pump the pedal while you inspect the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you are bench bleeding the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes in the correct order. Are you 100% positive there isnt a leak in one of the hard lines or rubber lines, possibly even a cracked caliper where the piston seal is leaking or something of that sort?

Btw the correct procedure is LR/RF/RR/LF
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Andyrst
Refinement Engineer

Andyrst is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Andyrst Send a message via Yahoo to Andyrst

your fluid is possibly going into the booster, it is only when the booster completely fails that the pedal goes HARD...from the booster it is being sucked into the manifold [via the vacuum line] and you are expelling it out your exhaust....pull the vacuum line from your booster and chk for residue.....I just went through this with my daughters GS
Andyrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Very important that the bleeding be done in the correct sequence as well!
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Beyond~Measure
OOOOoooowwwwWWWW

Beyond~Measure is on a distinguished road

Get a new mechanic.... I once had a "Acura/Honda" Mechanic tell me he couldn't figure out why my legend's fans were working erratically after having my car for 3 days.... Smfh...