AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
ahwatukeedj

ahwatukeedj is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Legend Sedan Rough Idle/Sway at about 30 mph

I just replaced several items on my 95 Sedan SE including: front rotors and pads, tires, half shafts, struts, tie rods, lower front ball joints, upper rear ball joints, radiator, PS pump, front 3 motor mounts, and transmission mount (started out small....kind of snowballed on me). Anyway, it runs great with the exception of a rough idle (not a miss, just feeling it thru the chasis - worse in Park and Drive than in Neutral), and is seems to sway to the left and right at about 30 mph during acceleration only (was really bad before I replace the tranny mount - the steering wheel does NOT move with the motion). I've searched the web a lot and only found one post implying that one of the half shafts may be inserted to far (i.e. past the snap ring) or just bad out of the box (rebuilts not new). The passenger side was nearly impossible to remove and just as hard to install, so I had to push pretty hard. The drivers side went in and out smoothly (I didn't replace the snap ring on that side - it's in the transaxle housing not on the shaft). I don't have a check engine light on. I have not tried to flash the codes to see if it is something unrelated to the things I replaced. So, anyone heard of such a thing?
ahwatukeedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
ahwatukeedj

One other note. It did this before I got the new tires, so I don't think it's them. And I only did the outer tie rods, not the inners. Thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Inner tie rods can definitely cause this. Which motor mounts did you change? The mid mounts can cause a shake. Also, have you inspected the chassis under the fenders for any frame damage? IE was the car in an accident before? Your steering rack, is it leaking any fluid? Did you inspect the inner tie rod boots for fluid leaks? How you looked at the front lower control arm bushings? Also, Check the rear suspension out, rear ball joints upper and lower and the bushings associated with them too.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
ahwatukeedj

Thanks for the reply Chrispy. I replaced the center front engine mount, the rear transmission mount, and the two front side stopper mounts. I didn't replace the two aft engine mounts. Do you know if you have to do anything special when installing the tranny mount (i.e. I did not have the tranny jacked up, I tightened everything except the 3 bolts in the mount bracket slotted holes, then I tightened those - that way the mount doesn't have any load on it just sitting there). I guessed on this since I couldn't find any info on the install procedure anywhere. The swaying is much better now that those mounts have been replaced. The car wasn't doing the harsh idle or swaying before I did all of the other work so I wouldn't think the aft engine mounts have anything to do with it. The car has not been in an accident and the power steering rack isn't leaking. I haven't looked at the inner tie rods. I assume you have to remove the guard/skid plate to see those, right? I did replace the rear upper ball joints (completed sheared rubber at the chasis mount), but it didn't seem to do anything. I was going to jack the front wheels up and move them side to side/up and down, etc.. to see if it could be a tie rod/ball joint or wheel bearing. No noise coming from the wheels though. Any idea if the comment on the half shaft install is real? Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwatukeedj View Post
Thanks for the reply Chrispy. I replaced the center front engine mount, the rear transmission mount, and the two front side stopper mounts. I didn't replace the two aft engine mounts. Do you know if you have to do anything special when installing the tranny mount (i.e. I did not have the tranny jacked up, I tightened everything except the 3 bolts in the mount bracket slotted holes, then I tightened those - that way the mount doesn't have any load on it just sitting there). I guessed on this since I couldn't find any info on the install procedure anywhere. The swaying is much better now that those mounts have been replaced. The car wasn't doing the harsh idle or swaying before I did all of the other work so I wouldn't think the aft engine mounts have anything to do with it. The car has not been in an accident and the power steering rack isn't leaking. I haven't looked at the inner tie rods. I assume you have to remove the guard/skid plate to see those, right? I did replace the rear upper ball joints (completed sheared rubber at the chasis mount), but it didn't seem to do anything. I was going to jack the front wheels up and move them side to side/up and down, etc.. to see if it could be a tie rod/ball joint or wheel bearing. No noise coming from the wheels though. Any idea if the comment on the half shaft install is real? Thanks again for the help.
Another thing I forgot to mention were the front sway bar end links as well as the upper strut mounts.

To check the tie rod boots, you dont need to remove the rack shield cover. the boots are exposed, and if you turn the rack to one end while checking, it can make it easier to inspect.

Also, did you inspect the hub bearings for runout and wear?

As far as the trans mount, it sounds like you installed it correctly. You dont want to add pre load to the mount otherwise you can stress the mount and get unwanted vibrations and premature failure if you have to much pre load on the mount.

Check out the lower rear arms too. The rubber can get eaten away and cause a slight sway if those go bad, same with the front lower control arm bushings.

The harsh idle, can you explain a little more what you mean by harsh idle?
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
ahwatukeedj

Hello Chrispy,
I did not look at the sway bar mounts yet. Hopefully this weekend. I did inspect all of the strut mounts and they looked fine, so unless on broke during install I don't think it is those. I'll check though. Glad to hear I installed the tranny mount correctly. I figured you didn't want any preload. As for the harsh idle, it's not a miss, like a vacuum leak rough idle. You can just feel it in the chassis and seats. The whole car seems to vibrate with the engine idle....which sounds like engine mounts. Are the two aft mounts really just large compression type rubber mounts? If so, I wouldn't think they would cause it. As I mentioned, I was driving the car before I did all of this work and it didn't do that before, so I was figuring it had to be something I work on.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
ahwatukeedj

I jacked up the front end and pushed on the wheels. Nothing top to bottom. Side to side I feel some slop. Not a lot, but some. I assume the inner tie rods are going, so I'll probably replace them. I did notice that when I turn sharp left then immediately a sharp right, I get a bit of a clunk. I inspected the upper strut mounts when I replaced the struts, so I know it's not that. Bushings on the sway bars look fine. Could the inner tie rods cause the clunk?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
ahwatukeedj

Thumbs down

So I have been driving this for a few days after doing a few inspections of the lug nuts, half shaft nut, and struts. I have tried to pin down the symptoms better and then searched around. I seems to shimmy the most from 25 to 35 mph, only when accelerating. There is some vibration in the steering wheel but it is not a lot. My wife used to drive this car and had an outer CV go out on the freeway. You couldn't keep the wheel straight. I have read around that this is a symptom of either an inner CV joint or a motor mount. These were Autozone half shafts I put on. I'm inclined to replace the unit I had difficulty putting in and see if it helps. Anyone out have this type of issue?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

A lot of people have had experience with bad axles from various places. Most recommend getting rebuilt from dealer or raxles but they are much more expensive. Probably a good idea to swap out the one you had a difficult time getting in. Of course the worst case scenario could be that there was some damage to the differential from the freeway incident

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
ahwatukeedj

Thanks Ari_one,
I'll try to do a quick check on the mid-mounts before pulling the passenger sidd half shaft. Need to get it done before the heat hits! BTW, all of the parts you sold me worked out great. Thanks again.