AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > The Projects > Legend Builds

Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough
Default My only finished project is AGAIN a project in process!

On December 11th my wife and daughter got hit by a State Farm insured driver.

BTW, that's frost on the car and not clear fail.

The last little piece we are trying to come into agreement on is whether the title will be a salvage title or a clean title. Based on what I can tell from conversations there were two safety items keeping it from being a clean title buyback instead of a salvage title buyback. The trunk needs to latch and the tail light needs to be in place and functional. I made a YouTube video showing both concerns are resolved so hopefully soon I'll have a report back that the buyback will be on a clean title and I can get this thing into a body shop for repair!

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!

Last edited by rwheadon; 01-13-2015 at 05:09 PM.
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Vic Cardenas

Vic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the rough

Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to see this. Hope you can resolve this without too much stress.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

^ yeah that does suck. Hope everyone is ok and you make out ok with the insurance
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #14
ThirstyTree

ThirstyTree is on a distinguished road

Nope its great! He can buy the car back, and he has a clean title. Congrats Rich, just a small setback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
while pooping
Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #15
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

I never thought you would get the deck lid to close much less a functional tail light in that car after I saw it several weeks ago. Further proof Weedy can work Legend miracles.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Cardenas View Post
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to see this. Hope you can resolve this without too much stress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
^ yeah that does suck. Hope everyone is ok and you make out ok with the insurance
As mentioned before the really great thing is that my girls came through it safe and only a few days of soreness from getting thrown about a little when hit. I was pretty stressed for the past month dealing with the insurance company. It seemed like a constant fight to me but I get it, they want to pay as little as possible. After long conversations around comparables (acutally the lack of GS legend comparables) and terms like "fair", "ethical" , "moral" and "responsible" we came to a workable settlement.

I was beginning to sense that I would be gutting the car, which doesn't hurt me like if it were my coupe... but still a lot of work and I would have needed to move the parts really quick. I'm glad to have dodged that bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyTree View Post
Nope its great! He can buy the car back, and he has a clean title. Congrats Rich, just a small setback.
The clean title is achieved... so I have gotten the proverbial "check is in the mail" email and the Title Retention paperwork is submitted for a clean title, there will be no salvage status for this car. It will (of course) show up in carfax as a total loss, but not salvage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HondaOwner View Post
I never thought you would get the deck lid to close much less a functional tail light in that car after I saw it several weeks ago. Further proof Weedy can work Legend miracles.
Not a miracle, just took 30 minutes with a hammer and a long bar to prove the damage is not bad enough to render the vehicle useless and unsafe. Well, until the household teenage driver gets behind the wheel.

I wonder if I can put bumper car pads around this thing for her.

Hopefully next week I can have the money in hand to move forward with a fix on the car.

As a side note, when I talked to the supervisor it didn't take long for him to qualify that the car is rare (no comparables in his search) and my investment needed to be fairly covered. I also acknowledged that if the car was going to be salvaged there were several items I could remove and put into immediate use therefore whittling down my recent expenses in the car to something more manageable for an insurance settlement. (basically I was willing to work with him if he would work with me.) At worst case scenario if I could just cover my costs then I was fine and that is where we drew a "fair" line in the sand and it was just math from that point on. I suspect the things that saved me was that the car had < 4K on it since my purchase in August 2013 and I had all of the work/receipts documented to show a real number that basically indicated the car has only been in service for like 3 or 4 months after my first pass on the restore.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!

Last edited by rwheadon; 01-13-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Yeah 'm glad your "discussions" with the supervisor were not in vain!

Now waiting on the "rebuild" or "Part II" section of this thread!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #18
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

I decided to go with a body shop that doesn't want to cut the quarter panel off. The sheetmetal guy looked at my car and said "I can fix that, I'd rather fix it than cut the quarter panel" , that was enough for me.

I harvested some parts from a 94 Sedan at PAP to give them and noticed it's a 94L with 202K on the odo. The car has a 3.5 in it.

I gave them everything from my cut line back except for the left tail. I probably gave them a lot more than they wanted... but better safe than sorry.

Mundy's is the collision center that's doing my repair and the Black GS should be done next week.

rich

Last edited by rwheadon; 01-21-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #19
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

Default She's home, She's HOME!

I just picked up the 95GS and Mundy's Collision did a great job repairing the car.

They didn't cut out the rear quarter and when I saw it a week ago there was very little filler being used, Matt did a great job fixing the damage!

My bad in not communicating to blend the paint but the match is close enough that I'm fine with the job they did with it. I also didn't communicate that even though I pulled the spoiler off I wanted it painted too, so I'll get that back from them next week and install it.

So this weekend I just need to put the repaired door molding on, install the rear glass molding and wait for my spoiler!!

A nice rescued car IMHO.

Reps to Mundy's Auto collision. (They are also on FB for those in ATL who care)

Now I gotta figure out which wall is going to be adorned with this rear clip until I can acquire tails, bumper and partial trunk lid to make a fun man cave ornament.

rich

Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
ThirstyTree

ThirstyTree is on a distinguished road

You could reassemble it so it looks like its sticking into the wall of your garage. Put a DARE sticker on the bumper....😋
Looks great im glad she will live on😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
while pooping