AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dv8 View Post
Excellent write up. This obviously took a long time. Stickied.

Two things caught my eye, that I need help understanding.

The Legends stock injectors are peak/hold. The RL are saturated.
*Use Legend injectors for swap*

Oil filter. What shaft are you refering to?

~Dv8
Thanks man! This is a document I was working on for the last year or so, a little here and a little there. I busted my hand open sunday night and needed 7 stitches so I've been out of commision, but obviously I can still type. I decided to finish it up.

EDIT: DV8 You're right.

On the oil filter shaft I meant the threaded shaft the oil filter screws on to... I don't know what its proper name is :dunno:.

-Matt

P.S.
PLEASE PLEASE if you spot anything that needs to be edited or additions that need to be made, please post them up. Also for Quaraxkad, please add this to the wiki... I would have like to format it a bit better with tables and what not and add a summary so my customer's can have a reference.

Last edited by sr5guy; 04-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy View Post
Thanks man! This is a document I was working on for the last year or so, a little here and a little there. I busted my hand open sunday night and needed 7 stitches so I've been out of commision, but obviously I can still type. I decided to finish it up.

No, I had it right.... Legend injectors ohm out at 12-14ohms, which is saturated, while the RL's ohm out at 1-2ohms which is peak/hold.

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...jectors-30347/

On the oil filter shaft I meant the threaded shaft the oil filter screws on to... I don't know what its proper name is :dunno:.

-Matt

P.S.
PLEASE PLEASE if you spot anything that needs to be edited or additions that need to be made, please post them up. Also for Quaraxkad, please add this to the wiki... I would have like to format it a bit better with tables and what not and add a summary so my customer's can have a reference.
I dont mean to argue. Legend injectors system is setup for peak and hold, there's a resistor box. They operate at 2ohms. When choosing larger injectors a peak and hold is what you look for. For saturated you need to eliminate the resistor box and probably switch to an EMS.
I emplore you to grab both Legend and RL injectors and check their resistance, you'll see the Legends are 2.0 and the RLs are around 11+

As far as I can tell, there is no resistor box for he RL, so they must be saturated injectors-hi impedence.

"
These Honda fuel injectors are solenoid-actuated constant-stroke pintle type consisting of a solenoid, plunger needle valve and housing. When current is applied to the solenoid coil, the valve lifts up and pressurized fuel is injected. As the needle valve lift and the fuel pressure are constant, the injection quantity is determined by the length of time that the valve is open (ie. the duration the current is applied to the solenoid coil). The injector comes with a filter cap, 7.3x2.2mm o-ring, cushion and seal rings at the top and bottom respectively. These seal rings also serve to reduce operating noise.

When self-diagnosis check engine light indicates code 16, there is a problem in the fuel injector circuit. The fuel injector must be replaced when the resistance is less than 1.5 Ohms or more than 2.5 Ohms between the 2 terminals of the injector. It must also be replaced if there are any internal leakages within the housing."

http://rceng.com/faq.aspx#Do_I_need_...my_application

As for the oil filter shaft; is its apperance different? Legend filters fit mine normally. So I dont understand whats different.

~Dv8
16 yrs and counting. To many Experts, not enough Results. Where are yours? Retired Legend 616WHP@18PSI 10/11 12.1@124MPH 02/12 N/A 234whp 229lb-ft 13.7@99mph 95 deg. 06/07 Lexus IS-F Nitrous 11.3@123MPH 392WHP 372WTQ I/H/E N/A-Ladies car now.
Go-Kart 35whp 29wlbft http://www.2slik4u.com/
My Garage

"People can always copy what I did first" -Jesse James

RIP Dannie FUT James

Last edited by Dv8; 04-29-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dv8 View Post
I dont mean to argue. Legend injectors system is setup for peak and hold, there's a resistor box. They operate at 2ohms. When choosing larger injectors a peak and hold is what you look for. For saturated you need to eliminate the resistor box and probably switch to an EMS.
I emplore you to grab both Legend and RL injectors and check their resistance, you'll see the Legends are 2.0 and the RLs are around 11+

As far as I can tell, there is no resistor box for he RL, so they must be saturated injectors-hi impedence.

"
These Honda fuel injectors are solenoid-actuated constant-stroke pintle type consisting of a solenoid, plunger needle valve and housing. When current is applied to the solenoid coil, the valve lifts up and pressurized fuel is injected. As the needle valve lift and the fuel pressure are constant, the injection quantity is determined by the length of time that the valve is open (ie. the duration the current is applied to the solenoid coil). The injector comes with a filter cap, 7.3x2.2mm o-ring, cushion and seal rings at the top and bottom respectively. These seal rings also serve to reduce operating noise.

When self-diagnosis check engine light indicates code 16, there is a problem in the fuel injector circuit. The fuel injector must be replaced when the resistance is less than 1.5 Ohms or more than 2.5 Ohms between the 2 terminals of the injector. It must also be replaced if there are any internal leakages within the housing."

http://rceng.com/faq.aspx#Do_I_need_...my_application

As for the oil filter shaft; is its apperance different? Legend filters fit mine normally. So I dont understand whats different.

~Dv8
hgeez:

My bad... Let me go back and edit.

Did you use the Legend oil pan by chance? The RL uses a different oil filter and when you try to put a Legend one on an RL it just slides up and wont catch any threads because the hole is larger in the filter.

-Matt
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Reboticon
Lord Of The Clunker

From my build thread long ago, helps explain using RL injectors. For people like me who do better with pictures than words.
I want to use the RL injectors (High Impedence) instead of the LEGEND injectors (Low Impedence) so this is what I had to do. First thing is getting the RL injectors to fit in the stock legend wiring harness. Here are two pics of what is required.

here are the sides of the RL injectors. The one on the left i have already modified to fit the legend harness by shaving the side tabs.

Here is the front of the RL injector. Again, one on the left is one that has already been shaved to fit legend harness.

The wiring changes are super easy, so long as you understand how the injector ciruit works. This pic shows how the circuit works. The BLUE lines in the pic show wires that are to be CUT and spliced/soldered together.
Reboticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Quote:
hgeez:

My bad... Let me go back and edit.

Did you use the Legend oil pan by chance? The RL uses a different oil filter and when you try to put a Legend one on an RL it just slides up and wont catch any threads because the hole is larger in the filter.

-Matt
Being totally honest, i don't remember, but I obviously must have changed because of that issue or related to something else. I still buy 8212 filters. What do you normally do after a 3.5 swap, just use the 3593 filter?

Taking nothing away, I guess swapping the pans is doable eh?

~Dv8
16 yrs and counting. To many Experts, not enough Results. Where are yours? Retired Legend 616WHP@18PSI 10/11 12.1@124MPH 02/12 N/A 234whp 229lb-ft 13.7@99mph 95 deg. 06/07 Lexus IS-F Nitrous 11.3@123MPH 392WHP 372WTQ I/H/E N/A-Ladies car now.
My Garage

RIP Dannie FUT James
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
Alperovich
The Stig

Alperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the rough

^ back when u did it, i would have done it as well, ah the good old days of having the NSX filter readily available.

94 KA8 DMM LS 6spd "MISTY" 2017-present
94 KA8 Milano LS 6spd "Milano" 2012-2017 RIP stupid camry
94 KA8 SGM LS 6spd "Annie" 2008-???*top secret*
94 KA7 DMM GS auto "Misty" 2008 RIP
93 KA8 GBP LS 6spd 2005-2008 RIP

FOR SALE:dotORG + I<3myLegend(KA/KB) stickers! +more
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Also for Quaraxkad, please add this to the wiki... I would have like to format it a bit better with tables and what not and add a summary so my customer's can have a reference.
Here's a preliminary wiki version. I'm not thrilled about the layout at the moment, it's a bit jumbled.

LegendWiki - G2: DIY: Engine Swaps: C35 Swap *NEW VERSION*
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent info!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Main relay for RL same as Legend?

~Dv8
My Garage

RIP Dannie FUT James
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
buzzard

buzzard is on a distinguished road

Genearlly when you see injectors with resistors it means they are not peak and hold. For the C32A injector, using an Autronic ecu , the ecu drives the injector without a resistor in low current mode. This indicates a saturated style injector. The Autronic ecu has internal current limiting, the factory ecu uses the external resistors for current limiting.

Chris
#1 in Honda C32A engines worldwide.

The innovators, not the imitators.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote