AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Bart

Bart is on a distinguished road
Default thread in the block broken - swap crank + bearings to other block.

This will make the 5th legend that I have worked on.

I have replaced headgaskets in 2, replaced transmission in one, and replaced entire engine in another (was knocking)

So this was supposed to a be a straight forward headgasket replacement.

To my surprise, the previous owner just did a headgasket replacement, when I took it apart the heads were totally clean! Also they used ebay headgaskets, but thats not the worst part, atleast 3 head bolts must have been overtorqued by the previous owner because as I went to do my first torque pass on the first head I pulled a helicoil right out of the block with only 35 ft. lbs.

looking down in the holes I can see heli-coils in 3+ holes. sooooo

I still have the engine that had a knock, I am wondering if I could get away with taking the crank + bearings out of the engine im working on now with the striped out head bolt holes, and put that crank + bearings into the engine I have in my shop that had the knock?

That's my plan at the moment anyway. I dont think heli-coils for head bolts is a very good idea and I dont really want to even think about trying to put more heli coils in.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Mike Diaz
Super Duper Member

Mike Diaz will become famous soon enoughMike Diaz will become famous soon enough

I would advise against using a block that had any knocking noise, unless you drove it and shut the car off at the first sign of it knocking. Either do the 3.5 swap or find yourself a good block. There's too many engines sitting in junkyards doing nothing. Dont be afraid to make lowball offers either. Most yards don't want to sit on inventory.

3.5 swaps, head gasket replacements, and 5/6 speed swaps done in less than a week. PM for a quote.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegaisser View Post
I don't think heli-coils for head bolts is a very good idea and I don't really want to even think about trying to put more heli coils in.
I know the use of heli coils is a bad idea for one mysteriously got in the number two hole on the passenger side block and failed after 17,000 miles after a head gasket job on my car.

The result, I now have a 67,000 mile certified JDM Type II engine pushing me around.

My advice like Mike's, get the old and worn out stuff out of your engine bay and put something in there that doesn't have heli coils in the block.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Bart

Default yeah, I have to pull the block either way. so may as well do a 3.5 swap

yeah, I have to pull the block either way. so may as well do a 3.5 swap.

my car is a 92 Acura Legend 3.2 V6 with an automatic. From what I have read so far I just need to buy a complete C35A engine and then there is only 1 mount that will not work and will need to be fabricated.

but I will keep reading up to make sure there's nothing else I'm missing.

spent the last few hours getting it out.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

Good to see toasted engine out of car. What is the other engine on the floor for?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Bart

The other engine on the floor is from a previous legend that I worked on that had an engine knock. So the top end should be good on that one. as well as some other parts. Just the bottom end is no good.

After reading over http://forums.acuralegend.org/3-5-sw...8.html?t=11288 and http://forums.acuralegend.org/3-5l-s...ion-t7602.html

It looks to me that I need to buy a complete 3.5 C35A engine. Then I need to get ahold of a fabricated passenger side front engine mount. which I now see Matt has long as I have the two mounts: http://forums.acuralegend.org/custom...wap-t5408.html

Then the only decision I have is which Intake manifold to use. I am not really sure which is better. I would assume its easier to just use the Legend Intake but use the Lower section of the RL intake for the egr baffle, to help keep it clean in there. but maybe its just as easy to use the RL intake, I really got no idea.

I am also wondering what would be the best way or place to source the c35a engine, I have seen some on ebay, but if I could get one locally and possibly for less I think I would be better off. I will just have to call around and see what I can find.

Last edited by Bart; 04-07-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Also see the wiki for a more updated version of sr5guys thread: LegendWiki - G2: DIY: Engine Swaps: C35 Swap *NEW VERSION*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegaisser View Post
Then the only decision I have is which Intake manifold to use. I am not really sure which is better. I would assume its easier to just use the Legend Intake but use the Lower section of the RL intake for the egr baffle, to help keep it clean in there. but maybe its just as easy to use the RL intake, I really got no idea.
Most will suggest that you use the TII intake with the RL lower section. The TII intake will give you more peak HP, and it shifts the torque up into higher RPM ranges but some people prefer more torque in the lower ranges with the RL manifold.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
Alperovich
The Stig

Alperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the rough

^ if not the typeII, i would stick with a legend manifold (+RL lower sections) becuase it makes the swap easier and retains more of a stock appearance. Don't forget to get the ECU tuned to whatever you end up putting in there, with out tuning the ECU you'll end up with issues in the long run.

that said, if you can source a good 3.2 block locally, that's gonna be the cheapest route, also quickest route.

heli coils are never a good idea, they fail, especially when you remove bolts with heli coils in em, always gonna be a failsos.

94 KA8 DMM LS 6spd "MISTY" 2017-present
94 KA8 Milano LS 6spd "Milano" 2012-2017 RIP stupid camry
94 KA8 SGM LS 6spd "Annie" 2008-???*top secret*
94 KA7 DMM GS auto "Misty" 2008 RIP
93 KA8 GBP LS 6spd 2005-2008 RIP

FOR SALE:dotORG + I<3myLegend(KA/KB) stickers! +more
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Bart

oh right the ecu... it wont run ok on the 3.2 ecu? does this ecu have an eprom, so that it can be desoldered and just put a socket in so I can get a programmed chip?

I'll have to do some reading on that. The threads I have read didnt seem to mention the ecu so I figured I could just use the ecu thats in the legend now.

the only thing I remember seeing was in Mike Diaz post:

Quote:
You do not need:
RL ECU & ignitor. (Anything that isn't connected to the engine)

Last edited by Bart; 04-07-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Alperovich
The Stig

Alperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the roughAlperovich is a jewel in the rough

yup, you'll need to socket the ecu and then get a proper chip from sr5guy or telion

94 KA8 DMM LS 6spd "MISTY" 2017-present
94 KA8 Milano LS 6spd "Milano" 2012-2017 RIP stupid camry
94 KA8 SGM LS 6spd "Annie" 2008-???*top secret*
94 KA7 DMM GS auto "Misty" 2008 RIP
93 KA8 GBP LS 6spd 2005-2008 RIP

FOR SALE:dotORG + I<3myLegend(KA/KB) stickers! +more
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote