AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe
Default Choosing the right lug nuts for your wheels

A friend of mine recently crashed his g35 because his wheel fell off for not using the proper lug nuts. I came across this link and I think it would be helpful since a majority of us have aftermarket rims. I think this should be a sticky in this section since it is a topic and safety issue that is over looked.

How do I choose the right lug nuts or wheel locks for my car ?
To ensure a proper and safe fit, you will need to identify specific characteristics of your vehicle lug nuts or wheel locks.
We have developed this tech tips page to help you do just that.

There are three main components to any lug nut fitment:
1) Thread Size:
2) Thread Pitch:
3) Seat Type:

The wheel studs are the threaded bolts (or studs) that protrude through the holes in your wheels onto which you would thread your lug nuts. Most vehicles have either 4 or 5 wheel studs per wheel, however, some trucks, vans or SUV's can have up to 8 per wheel.

#
Step #1 Identify my Thread Size:
You can easily identify your thread size and pitch with a simple thread pitch gauge available at any hardware store, or you can simply take one of your lug nuts to your local hardware store and spin it onto the bolts they have on hand. The thread size or thread diameter is the measurement taken across the outside diameter of your wheel stud threads measured in either standard (7/16", 1/2", etc.) or metric (12mm, 14mm, etc.) dimensions. The most common thread sizes are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8". You can find most factory stud sizes in your vehicle owner's manual or you can use our online guide.
thread pitch

#
Step #2 Identify my Thread Pitch:
The thread pitch is the measurement of either threads per inch for non-metric studs or the distance in millimeters between the threads for metric applications.

#
Step #3 Identify my Seat Type:
The seat type refers to the area where the lug nut actaully makes contact with the wheel surface. The most common types are either an acorn/tapered seat, a mag seat (which features a flat seating surface with a separate seating washer) or a ball seat which is common for Honda and Acura models.

Once you have identified these three components it is just a matter of choosing your preferred style of nut or lock. You can easily find just the right lug nuts or wheel locks for your vehicle below, we'll walk you right through it;

7/16" x 20 Threads
1/2" x 20 Threads
9/16" x 18 Threads
12mm x 1.50 Threads
12mm x 1.75 Threads
14mm x 1.50 Threads
14mm x 2.0 Threads

See All Lug Nuts
See All Wheel Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
BklynSoulja

BklynSoulja is on a distinguished road

damn dream
<a href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/sigqzb.jpg/ target=_blank><a href=http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5751/sigqzb.jpg target=_blank>http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5751/sigqzb.jpg</a></a>
BklynSoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Wayne-A-Ferd
The Slow Cruiser

Wayne-A-Ferd is on a distinguished road

Ahh the g35 is such a sexy car... the really sucks.. thanks for post I was kind wondering this cause ima buy some new lugs for my blanks cause the truck lugs just looks stupied lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

That was a lot of work to write this up Dreams!

Or you can go to the trusted and tried wheelshop in town like I do and have them "hook you up" before you ever even put the new rims on the car. That's what I've done now for about 15 years and hopefully soon for a 5th time!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

Incase anyone was wondering our cars use m12 x 1.5 wheel studs.

Quote:
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
M-Tuning
First EDM 3.5 Coupe

M-Tuning is on a distinguished road

And our cars use Ball seat studs with OEM wheels.

3.5 swap Finished!
M-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Coltron2010

Coltron2010 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if 12x 1.25 lug nuts will fit a 1995 coupe
Coltron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltron2010 View Post
Read above.....
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltron2010 View Post
There's your answer. Reading is fundamental.

Damnit Chrispy! You got me, you got me.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Only by a few seconds
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote