AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > Second Generation Legend (1991 - 1995)

Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #111
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

If there is any rubber left, it will eventually separate, some quicker than others. Sometimes its not visible until you remove the mount and inspect it. For me, the vibrations were caused because the solid poly was vibrating between the rubber it had separated from. It poses no risk of excessive movement since the poly is solid, the hard poly portion will float between the softer rubber portion. Its really just more of a nuisance as the vibrations will start to resonate through the cabin as the separation gets worse.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #112
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Guess we'll see over time
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #113
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Even if the poly does separate from the old rubber, it really doesn't even matter. It's not going to fall apart or anything like that. Some people have claimed it caused increased vibrations, I don't see that happening. The fresh poly is not going to magically shrink (which could cause an occasional clunking), it's always going to be pretty tightly packed into the body of the stopper.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #114
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

This thread has the opportunity of being a total fail. We are referring to mounts without qualifying which one we are talking about.

Front Engine mount (in the middle) : failure = engine vibration and hop.
Front Engine dampers (right/left side) : failure would be NO rubber in them, poly falling out of one with rubber left in it would probably not be very noticeable.
Trans mount (tail of transmission) : The rubber OR poly missing and allowing too much movement is going to sound and feel terrible. (if you have an MT you will feel the shifter move a little in corners/downshifts)

I have to make a lot of assumptions on which of the mounts we're talking about and I imagine future "new" readers will struggle too. Let's make sure we're clear on each post which mount(s) apply to our logic.

I'm not calling anyone out... just reminding people to be specific since this thread really can involve 4 different components.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!

Last edited by rwheadon; 02-16-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added "engine" to the front mount labels
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #115
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

^ Rich - yeah sorry I assumed we were mainly talking about manual rear trans mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
Even if the poly does separate from the old rubber, it really doesn't even matter. It's not going to fall apart or anything like that. Some people have claimed it caused increased vibrations, I don't see that happening. The fresh poly is not going to magically shrink (which could cause an occasional clunking), it's always going to be pretty tightly packed into the body of the stopper.
That's what I'm thinking...
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #116
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
It can, will, and does vibrate. When I pulled my last set of stopper mounts I made with some of the old rubber still in them, by hand I could shift the poly around, back and forth and up and down. When new they were 100% solid without air bubbles or pockets after they were newly filled. It wasnt a ton of movement but enough where it would rattle around between the rubber. The center bolt section as well as the whole outer section had separated from the rubber. Since the poly doesnt harden or bond to the rubber and since the poly is much stiffer than the rubber, it actually chewed away some of the remaining rubber causing the movement and vibrations. To be very clear, those mounts did not begin vibrating until they were used for several thousand miles.

Im not trying to be argumentative here, this isnt speculation, this is based on real experience with several different Legends outside of my own and several more who noticed the same exact things with their stopper mounts. Remember the stopper mounts are meant to move and have some type of flex, anytime you fill those mounts and reduce their movement, you reduce their ability to dampen properly, THAT is why they vibrate, regardless of center bolt location and even after properly setting the tension on the rear trans stopper mount bracket. Since the poly doesnt bond with the rubber, the areas between the poly and rubber are the weak link, THAT is what causes the separation. What might start out as little to no vibration when they are new, will eventually lead to excessive cabin vibration because the hard poly section will be able to move between the rubber sections. AT equipped cars notice it more while stopped in gear there is more pre load on the stopper mounts vs a MT where the car is stopped there is no load on the drivetrain to pre load the stopper mounts.

I forget the users name, but a member in Maryland had AWFUL vibrations start after a few launches at the track with his nitrous equipped Legend sedan. When they were new, they were great, after the separation, vibrations. This has been many peoples experience with the poly filled mounts, those of us who are harder on our cars notice it quickly, while others who arent as hard on their cars, the process seems to happen slower.

The only thing Ive found to stiffen the stopper mounts without excessive vibration and separation of the filling has thus far been the PL poly caulk which is similar to 3M window weld, but slightly softer.

And to avoid any confusion, the stopper mounts being referred to for filling are the 93-95 front stopper engine mounts and the 91-95 rear transmission stopper mount.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 02-17-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #117
BigCope923

BigCope923 is on a distinguished road

I have a 3.5 swap and have poly filled mounts. I wonder if they cause the vibration I feel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BigCope923 is offline   Reply With Quote