AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
LegenDinTheMaKing

LegenDinTheMaKing is on a distinguished road
Default Could use some help with my new 1991 "GS".

I hope you all got the joke in my title. So I went ahead and dropped in a tranny and type 2 engine from a 93 LS coupe into my 91 sedan. I am still using the ECU from my 91 sedan. Because of the fact that the engine that I was dropping in had it's harness cut, my mechanic said he had to do some re-wiring from my original harness. The car starts up fine. But the check engine light stays on. Also when I drive the car and press the gas to excelerate it takes way longer than before to get to 3rd. It stays in 2nd and slowly crawls up to 3rd even when I am flooring it. Before with my type one whenever I hit the gas I would be in 3rd within a blink of an eye. Would any of you awesome people happen to know what could possibly be the cause?? Your replies would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by LegenDinTheMaKing; 04-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.
LegenDinTheMaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

I'd say move #1 would be for you to get us a code reading. It's all guesswork without that.

I have little alarms going off when I hear "cut harness" and "re-wiring". Perhaps you know or can find out specifically what was involved for us.

Also I don't think a T2 engine is going to run very well on the T1 maps in your ECU. Those cams have a lot more dwell and there is probably some other stuff too.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

type 1 and type 2 tranny's have differences. you may need a type 2 ECU or have your type 1 chipped by Telion or sr5guy.

But I agree with Rich, read the code from the ECU first before you dive into things further.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Team LR
UndaUGal

Team LR is on a distinguished road

u need the type 2 ecu to control the engine an tranny properly n that re wire sound like a load of bs cuz type 1 n 2 use the same harness beside have a tcs wire for the type 2 which u dnt have in a 91
Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team LR View Post
u need the type 2 ecu to control the engine an tranny properly n that re wire sound like a load of bs cuz type 1 n 2 use the same harness beside have a tcs wire for the type 2 which u dnt have in a 91
Actually there's more than TCS different in the two harnesses... but let's see what he can find out for us.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
LegenDinTheMaKing

Thanks again guys. So he said that the cam sensors were rewired. Apparently there is supposed to be a male and a female plug but mine had two male plugs so he took a female one off of the harness that was cut and wired it onto my 91 harness. And if i wind up having to get a new ecu does it matter if it comes from a 1994-95 GS Sedan or 1993-95 LS coupe? Does it matter? If any of you happen to know that exact part number that would great to. I could be wrong but I think it's 37820-PX9-A68 for the GS.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegenDinTheMaKing View Post
Thanks again guys. So he said that the cam sensors were rewired. Apparently there is supposed to be a male and a female plug but mine had two male plugs so he took a female one off of the harness that was cut and wired it onto my 91 harness. And if i wind up having to get a new ecu does it matter if it comes from a 1994-95 GS Sedan or 1993-95 LS coupe? Does it matter? If any of you happen to know that exact part number that would great to. I could be wrong but I think it's 37820-PX9-A68 for the GS.
He was too lazy to change the cam position sensor from your old motor, so instead he doubled his work and hacked up your harness. hgeez:

Unless you have the code from the CEL, we can't really help you - its kind of like calling the parts store and not knowing what kind of car you need parts for.

Find out whats going on with the CEL first, you can use any automatic type II ECU.

-Matt
Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Jonslegend
Ive Got 2nd Gear!!!!

Jonslegend will become famous soon enough

I have one

It's not Gold, It's Cashmere
Jonslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
LegenDinTheMaKing

Sorry but what's the CEL?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

Check Engine Light

Per Q - you will need this likely:
LegendWiki - G2: DIY: Diagnosis: Pulling Codes

rich

Last edited by rwheadon; 04-05-2011 at 03:16 PM.