AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
JosephGiancarlo

JosephGiancarlo is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Stereo Installation Issue

okay so ive kept my mouth shut and searched the forums over a month now and tried just about everything in the book. here's the issue:

got an aftermarket head unit im trying to install and when i plug in the adapters and what not there is nothing. no power. so i got the wiring diagram and removed the wires and manually taped the wires up and still nothing.

what kinda sucks is that i keep reading something about an amp bypass, but would that really control the power to the head unit itself?

lol ive had a hole in where my bose system used to be for about a month now, as much fun as i have humming to myself and hearing the engine growl i think its high time i nip this in the bud before i hum myself crazy.

any suggestions? if you help solve the issue and ever come out to the hampton roads area, i owe ya a beer
JosephGiancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

Test for 12v on the wire you taped up that's supposed to give it power. If there's no power on the wire coming from the car's harness, then check fuses.

If there is power, you might have a faulty head unit. You can hook up the head unit directly to your battery by using some spare wiring. Wire the red and yellow wires of the HU directly to the + post of the car battery, and wire the black wire from the HU to the - post of the car battery.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Ya make sure the fuse hasn't popped, both on the fuse box and behind the HU (if it has one).

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
OrangeGen1
Under construction

OrangeGen1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephGiancarlo View Post
okay so ive kept my mouth shut and searched the forums over a month now and tried just about everything in the book. here's the issue:

got an aftermarket head unit im trying to install and when i plug in the adapters and what not there is nothing. no power. so i got the wiring diagram and removed the wires and manually taped the wires up and still nothing.

what kinda sucks is that i keep reading something about an amp bypass, but would that really control the power to the head unit itself?

lol ive had a hole in where my bose system used to be for about a month now, as much fun as i have humming to myself and hearing the engine growl i think its high time i nip this in the bud before i hum myself crazy.

any suggestions? if you help solve the issue and ever come out to the hampton roads area, i owe ya a beer
make sure the cars wireing harness is putting out power and make sure its grounded right or try a ground somewhere else on the car like the frame or body of it
OrangeGen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
JosephGiancarlo

JosephGiancarlo is on a distinguished road

cool thanks all i shall try it out and will update
JosephGiancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
cakes
The Dream

cakes will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cakes

You have the Bose system, so the harness is just putting out enough power to drive the HU, not amplify the speakers. I believe it has a 3A fuse. There are 4 amplifiers, one attached to each of the speakers. You're going to have to bypass each one of them individually. Additionally, the Bose speakers are 2 ohm, and most likely the aftermarket HU is designed for 4 ohm speakers, which means the speakers will pull twice as much current, and burn out the amplifier unless it can run 2 ohm speakers. I haven't had experience installing an aftermarket system, so those are the the main issues that I think you'll encounter.

IMO, you're better off just refurbishing the amplifiers from carstereohelp.com. I'd rather pay $400 to restore the OEM sound, as I did, than spend $600+ on a HU, amplifier, speakers, and then have to rewire the car just to make it sound OEM. The factory speakers are very powerful, if I can easily turn up the volume and get the back seat to vibrate and annoy the back seat passengers. The only thing is that I wish the car has 2 additional midrange drivers in the back doors.

Now if it's the Base/L model with the Pioneer HU, it's basically plug and play since the HU has an onboard 4x20W amplifier designed for 4 ohm speakers.

Do you have a coupe or sedan? If you have a sedan and want to get rid of some of the Bose components, let me know.
[The Legend] stops like a fat kid for twinkie... Hondas have REAL brakes, not like Toyota, who can't make proper brakes and a good turning radius if their lives depended on it
WTB: G1 LS Sedan Fuel Sending Unit, Heater, & Tan Drivers side knee panel- PM me
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote