AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Stu
hello ladies !

Stu will become famous soon enough
Default Cold Air Intake - glad I never bothered lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

it's on YouTube - and its a Skyline- so it must be true !!
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Haha...

May I introduce this post from this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Yeah, I posted this MCM vid and its sister video on this forum too. This has been debated beyond recognition on this and many other car forums.

Here's the theory (watch it and pay attention):

Of course those are under ideal conditions. What we are also looking at here is efficiency in air and fuel delivery. The above video shows that colder air can create more power through providing more (denser) oxygen. But what about the cars these days that come with stock intake plumbing that brings in cold air from in front of the radiator? Both my I35 and my ix35 had this design. However, they also had rubber plumbing and a maze of resonators to reduce the intake sound from the engine. So "cooler" air may be coming in, but the engine has to work for it to get there. Imagine sucking air through a typical straw. Pretty easy to do. Now imagine attaching ten straws together with 5 bends and an open box the air has to pass through half way down the line before it gets to your mouth. You'll still get air, but not as efficiently.

As for the temperature differences Tommy, I think cold air does in fact make a difference once it hits the TB and manifold:

Here's an old thing I did way back when:

http://forums.acuralegend.org/cai-vs...am-t197p2.html

Let's say that the engine bay is sitting at 110 degrees at idle and the manifold is about 120 degrees. Introducing 75 degree air from a CAI is going to bring the manifold temp down as the cooler air passes through. It may not end up being 75 degrees when it hits the combustion chamber, but it will definitely be less than it would be if you introduced the 110 degree engine bay air. Looking at the above thread, even at cruising speeds when the engine bay temps come down, it's stil going to be higher temp air than what is coming from the fender well. The longer the ride, the more leveled off the temp of the manifold will get. Even more so if we had manifold spacers to separate the manifold from the heads. The G1 actually has a stock throttle body spacer instead of a paper gasket which I guess is kind of cool. Bypassing the TB and manifold coolant lines on the G1 can also help with lowering the manifolds typical temperature. Thus when even cooler air is introduced via a CAI, the manifold will be even cooler than when leaving those systems connected. Again it's about efficiency and every little bit helps.

Of course, you also want properly sized piping as well...too big or too small can lead back to inefficiency in air charge. Regardless, an ECU tune for your setup (intake, exhaust, and other mods) is the best thing to do to be sure that fuel delivery is on point with the air you have going in and out of your engine.
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Stu
hello ladies !

Stu will become famous soon enough

Thanks Gabe.

The theoretical proof in your video means nothing to me because I don't know enough about the physics to judge. I am not a mechanic either.

I posted my link because it showed dyno results which to me are better than any theory. Someone mentioned the guys in the link I posted are idiots, and they very well could be ... I have no way of knowing.

Someone on the Lexus board posted it and I thought maybe it was new ... guess I was wrong, lol
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

No prob lol...its always a great topic of discussion.

I don't think the MCM guys are idiots...they do some pretty cool stuff. Just for the more science-based stuff, I take it with a grain of salt. They are strictly measuring power to the wheels (which makes perfect sense) when maybe they should also be looking at air density and power efficiency. Sure maybe minimal amounts of additional power is made, but how much easier was it for the engine to make that power? What else can be done to further increase and take advantage of that power? The CAI would be but one component of an overarching effort.
RIP fut
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Why are people so caught up in peak power numbers? Thats the stupid part. Intakes arent meant to raise peak hp values, but instead SHIFT the power band and raise numbers in different areas of the power band. Plus, I personally SAW Matt sr5guy go from a K&N intake with the stock assembly, to my WR intake and GAIN 1.5hp, and there was a shift in the power band as well. I bet if you did ACTUAL analysis you would see that certain areas of the power band have raised power values, its not about how much power you make, but WHERE its made. Tests like these kinda crack me up, but then again it IS TV after all.

Another thing not taken into account is resetting the ECU, the ECU has to relearn values, especially when there is a change in air velocity, volume, and temperature.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Last edited by Chrispy; 04-08-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Why are people so caught up in peak power numbers? Thats the stupid part. Intakes arent meant to raise peak hp values, but instead SHIFT the power band and raise numbers in different areas of the power band. Plus, I personally SAW Matt sr5guy go from a K&N intake with the stock assembly, to my WR intake and GAIN 1.5hp, and there was a shift in the power band as well. I bet if you did ACTUAL analysis you would see that certain areas of the power band have raised power values, its not about how much power you make, but WHERE its made. Tests like these kinda crack me up, but then again it IS TV after all.

Another thing not taken into account is resetting the ECU, the ECU has to relearn values, especially when there is a change in air velocity, volume, and temperature.
Pretty much sums up the linked thread
RIP fut
Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
BayAreasFinest
Type 1 King

BayAreasFinest is on a distinguished road

I ran consistently (.2 -.3 seconds) faster in the 1/4 mile with a CAI compared to stock OEM filter assembly. The CAI was the only mod done to the car, exact same setup.

and when I say consistent I remember running 14.7 on one occasion about 3-4 times in a row
Type 1 stock NA full interior = 14.8 @ 93 MPH
Type 1 CAI NA and DR's full interior = 14.5 @ 94 MPH
My Legend = http://youtu.be/XimYbO6fvRs

Last edited by BayAreasFinest; 04-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.
BayAreasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
devolution
crazy diamond

devolution will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Why are people so caught up in peak power numbers? Thats the stupid part.
cuz MORE = BETTER
devolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
ThirstyTree

ThirstyTree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devolution View Post
cuz MORE = BETTER
The reason why i love the type 1 c32 is for the consistent torque. In a 2 ton car thats what you need. The 1987 VW GTi 16v was rated at 123 hp, 120 lb ft. But that was minimum at (of the top of my head) 2800-5500 rpm. These engines are similar in their linear power delivery, and have a flat, strong torque curve throughout their usable powerband.
A CAI is common sense physics. Instead of sucking hot engine bay air, a cai sucks colder air from outside the car. Colder air is denser. A crappy design that has more bends than a short ram or stock airbox will make less power on a dyno, as the shop air isnt moving into it at 80 mph, and is usually as hot as an engine bay. Ive modified every car ive owned with a homemade ram air(74 ranchero, 83 subaru wagon,92 s10, 87gti had one stock, kinda) and they all got better power and gas mileage. A cold night at 80+ will make you believe.
ThirstyTree is offline   Reply With Quote