AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
devolution
crazy diamond

devolution will become famous soon enough
Default why I'm glad my car is old

http://phys.org/news/2013-07-car-hac...-industry.html

I know, not likely to happen, but this article was referenced in another one talking about how much more likely car hacking will become in the future due to the large number of electronic control units in newer cars and the inevitable networking that's coming soon. Apparently no one has bothered to engineer any security or firewalls into the current ECU firmwares.

http://www.networkworld.com/communit..._am_2014-01-10
devolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
FF Drifter
VBIQVE

FF Drifter is on a distinguished road

A malicious actor need not hack the car to cause problems. Poor firmware is riddled with problems of its own without any outside influence: http://www.edn.com/design/automotive...s-consequences

Key points:
Quote:
Barr's ultimate conclusions were that:
Toyota’s electronic throttle control system (ETCS) source code is of unreasonable quality.
Toyota’s source code is defective and contains bugs, including bugs that can cause unintended acceleration (UA).
Code-quality metrics predict presence of additional bugs.
Toyota’s fail safes are defective and inadequate (referring to them as a “house of cards” safety architecture).
Misbehaviors of Toyota’s ETCS are a cause of UA.
Quote:
Toyota's ETCS used a version of OSEK, which is an automotive standard RTOS API. For some reason, though, the CPU vendor-supplied version was not certified compliant.

Unintentional RTOS task shutdown was heavily investigated as a potential source of the UA. As single bits in memory control each task, corruption due to HW or SW faults will suspend needed tasks or start unwanted ones. Vehicle tests confirmed that one particular dead task would result in loss of throttle control...
Important to note that there is a growing realization within the cybersecurity industry that "compliant" does not necessarily mean safe. There has been too much effort given towards meeting a minimum requirement without looking at whether or not a practice is actually safe/reasonable/diligent, given the realities of today's environment and market.

Nah man, it's stock.
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

I've seen a video of a couple of people holding a device. All they do is walk next to it and it unlocks the doors.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

I hate the feel of electronic throttles. I much prefer the mechanical connection in the Legend, especially when disengaging the cruise control.

My Tundra has an electronic throttle, and what baffles me is why Toyota programmed the tip-in to be so abrupt, especially in 4-low. You'd think they would have taken advantage of having a programmable throttle and used it to vary the tip-in based on drive mode.

Didn't the engineers understand that when someone is using 4-wheel drive, particularly 4-low, there is a high likely-hood that the truck will be traversing rough terrain, and therefore it will be harder for the driver to keep his right foot steady?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote