AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
GreenHornet Legend

GreenHornet Legend is on a distinguished road
Default 3in exhaust on a mostly stock engine

I was looking for an answer but I think I already now it. I was wondering if I can put a 3in exhaust pipe from where the pipes join together all the way back to the muffler? I was wondering because I plan on turbo charging the car later but I don't really know the science behind the exhaust. Is it ok to do this or will I lose power doing this to a stockish engine. I would then modify the pipe later to accommodate the turbo.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Gascan
Less doom less gloom

Gascan is a jewel in the roughGascan is a jewel in the roughGascan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet Legend View Post
I was looking for an answer but I think I already now it. I was wondering if I can put a 3in exhaust pipe from where the pipes join together all the way back to the muffler? I was wondering because I plan on turbo charging the car later but I don't really know the science behind the exhaust. Is it ok to do this or will I lose power doing this to a stockish engine. I would then modify the pipe later to accommodate the turbo.
Seems to me that you're working on this backwards. Start with turbo then modify the exhaust to accommodate the turbo.

Yes, you'll loose major power with a stockish engine.
Gascan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Geneva_Jee
Gold Member

Geneva_Jee will become famous soon enough

N/A engines need back pressure...a 3in exhaust on a stock motor will make it lose power

FOR SALE - Geneva KA7 Sedan In Memory of
Geneva_Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
hustlav6
Banned

hustlav6 is on a distinguished road

pipes length and diameter are calculated to help empty the cylinders at exhaust stroke, if you alter any of exhaust dimensions without checking (by calculations) what effect you achieve - sonic or dynamic, you will be surprised that your engine seem to give you less power than it should, probably you will gain some hp in certain (probably high)rpm range, but it will be useless in daily driving, generally in n/a engines the bigger exhaust piping is, the higher engine revs would be needed to use gained power
hustlav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
T-Clyde
Canter-Buried Alive

T-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the rough

Where's grumpysteelman when you need him? Smh

Hustla is on the right track, but grumpy is soo good at explaining the back pressure myth.
OEM Parts for Sale
RIP
Maintenance > Modification
T-Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
legend93g2
Improving WHP

legend93g2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to legend93g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva_Jee View Post
N/A engines need back pressure...a 3in exhaust on a stock motor will make it lose power
This +1
legend93g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
GreenHornet Legend

GreenHornet Legend is on a distinguished road

So the same reasoning applies to headers?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

Cars with small displacement lose bottom end torque because they have to overcome the pressure of slower moving exhaust gasses in large diameter piping.

Larger displacement engines capitalize on a larger exhaust setup because as someone said previously their engines can use this increase in potential airspace, with more displacement, you have more exhaust gasses which increases the use of the gained potential air space.

Realistically, and engine under 3 litres N/A would not benefit from an increase in exhaust or header piping over stock, however its the gain in increased flow potential due to more efficient pipe flow design.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
T-Clyde
Canter-Buried Alive

T-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the roughT-Clyde is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfBusiness View Post
Cars with small displacement lose bottom end torque because they have to overcome the pressure of slower moving exhaust gasses in large diameter piping.

Larger displacement engines capitalize on a larger exhaust setup because as someone said previously their engines can use this increase in potential airspace, with more displacement, you have more exhaust gasses which increases the use of the gained potential air space.

Realistically, and engine under 3 litres N/A would not benefit from an increase in exhaust or header piping over stock, however its the gain in increased flow potential due to more efficient pipe flow design.
I have to disagree, and this is directly related to accords of my generation. They all share the same 2.2 l block, but the dx and lx have smaller exhaust and a cast manifold, where as the ex has a tubular manifold and 1/4 larger piping all the way back, stock for stock the ex has 10 more hp and the only differences are the larger exhaust and slightly larger intake mani.

You don't lose torque, you simply move the peak torque higher in the powe band.
OEM Parts for Sale
RIP
Maintenance > Modification
T-Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

Great... thanks for the input... please note I said bottom end torque. and whether you realize it or not, you're agreeing with me.

Last edited by ManOfBusiness; 09-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.
ManOfBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote