AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

eggotrip is on a distinguished road
Default 89 coupe manual shift issues

The shifter its self has an incredible amount of play and for some reason when I try to go into fifth gear or reverse (anything right of 3rd/4th) the stick becomes hard to move and I hear a clicking sound that sounds like metal on metal. I have been searching for causes/fixes for quite some time but haven't found anyone talking about such a problem. If you guys want I could record a video with my phone and post it here but I am not sure of the quality. Thanks for your time
eggotrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

The clicking sound you hear when you go into reverse, thats normal. Its locking into place so it doesn't pop out of gear.

For the loose shifter, it could a couple of things. The bushings for the shift rod probably broke and is giving you that loose shifter. So you'll need to go under the car and have someone play with the shifter side to side to see it loose.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

Thank for your reply but I have a few concerns, the noise is heard when the shift lever goes anywhere right of its rest position. it is also quite difficult to move right of its rest position. (all of this is being done with the battery disconnected) I also found one of my linkages is really loose so once I figure out how to get to the bolt to tighten it I think that will resolve the loose feel of the lever but i'm not entirely sure. I also think the trans fluid is from the factory , could that have anything to do with it? (transmission works just fine as in all gears work once you are in them)
Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

I will try to video this as my explanation is quite sub par, will post when I figure it out Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaI0DiMiII

Last edited by eggotrip; 09-20-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

On a trans that is starved of oil or burning you would loose 5th and reverse 1st I believe.

So you have 2 things:
1. loose/sloppy linkage
2. 5th/Reverse resistance.

Before worrying about the sloppy linkage you might want to try a trans fluid change. The Honda brand MT fluid doesn't work miracles, but it has been mighty good at making my whining MT quieter... maybe it will make your synchros cooperate. Oh... how's your clutch? The G1 gets low and will roadside you with very little warning. A clunky shift is one subtle warning.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

the clutch is badly out of adjustment but I bled it and it works fine. My fifth gear works as well as reverse everything is just sloppy. The previous owners beat the hell out of the car... The front mount was held on with just a tow strap when I got it haha. And every fluid was wrong and they sharpied the back seats black... It needs a lot of love but I see potential. Thanks for all of your help guys
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

I am planning a transmission flush in the very near future but I need to wait on my paycheck to do so

Will post results when I flush the transmission assuming I don't fix the issue before hand
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggotrip View Post
I am planning a transmission flush in the very near future but I need to wait on my paycheck to do so

Will post results when I flush the transmission assuming I don't fix the issue before hand
You don't really need to "flush" a MT. I'd get 3 or 4 quarts of the Honda M/T fluid (Check your OM for the amount... I think it's 2.8 on fluid change, but may be wrong)

Pray it isn't gear oil that comes out.

There's no maintenance adjustment on the Legend's hydraulic clutch. The M/C adjustment is just a one time thing done when the M/C is installed. if you can feel that the pedal has travel/is low then get a clutch. Actually doing it early might save you from totaling the car because you can't find a flywheel.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Ok, I went to my car and with the shifter in neutral, going from left to middle has no resistance. But when going to the right (5th, reverse), there is resistance. I believe thats normal.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
eggotrip
1989 acura legend

That's weird but a relief to hear, thanks James.