AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
dominicjansson

dominicjansson is on a distinguished road
Default Took my car to a mechanic. Need help!

Hes telling me he wants to rebuild or redo my rack and pinion because there is sway in the tie rods? It's a pretty hefty price and I'm not really interested in it.... Pro's and cons of doing / not doing it? There is no leak at all. He's telling me there is play in them ( I thought there is always play in tie rods?) and he wants to rebuild it. What do you guys think? Important? I just don't want something to get worse down the road. I could always DIY it. Thanks!
dominicjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

You can get new inner Beck/Arnley tie rods from rockauto for about $23/ea https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...312&cc=1000753 so the hefty price may be a bit high! A rebuilt rack costs around $150-180 including inner tie rods, so use that as a comparison.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

The rack doesn't need to be rebuilt or replaced. Tie rods shouldn't have any play in them, but they are easily replaced and cheap, as shown in the link ari posted above.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
antik
I blame the M3.

antik will become famous soon enoughantik will become famous soon enough

Get a new mechanic.

'95 Auto L Sedan [SOLD]
ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | HAWK | ATE

antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Trs031
Ct Legends

Trs031 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Trs031 Send a message via Yahoo to Trs031

true story^^^^^^Ive had to find new ones a couple times....
Trs031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

Basically he wants to charge you the price of doing a rack job without changing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
arth

arth is on a distinguished road

Interesting my rack seems bad also but not sure my guy said it could need replaced but strait up told me its pricey, ~5 hr job 200 bucks labor and about 175-200 for the rack and a reseal kit would take longer

Is there a way to test the rack and pinion/power steering pump to see if maybe its just the pump or something else ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
arth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

arth, you need to at least give us what your symptoms are and why your guy is saying the rack may need replacing. As for 5 hr job, I'd like to know where he is getting that time estimate from.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Mike Diaz
Super Duper Member

Mike Diaz will become famous soon enoughMike Diaz will become famous soon enough

I've seen 2 loose steering racks, so yes it's possible. The gearing inside can be worn from high mileage or possibly from incorrect fluid. Have him show you the inner and outer tie rods are tight and the only thing left is the rack.

3.5 swaps, head gasket replacements, and 5/6 speed swaps done in less than a week. PM for a quote.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
Mike Diaz
Super Duper Member

Mike Diaz will become famous soon enoughMike Diaz will become famous soon enough

I can swap a rack in about an hour, maybe a little bit more. 5 hours is just stupid

3.5 swaps, head gasket replacements, and 5/6 speed swaps done in less than a week. PM for a quote.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote