AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
antik
I blame the M3.

antik will become famous soon enoughantik will become famous soon enough

Honestly, it looks par for a heavy shipment that seems to have made several "final destinations" en route - at least one before your place (photoshop out your address Lou).

Boxes aren't usually made for multiple hops.

I'm obviously not seeing the parts in person but from this side of the internet, I'd say it looks fine. Not perfect, but acceptable. I'd be pissed if they were cosmetic pieces but it's a clutch kit; you're never gonna see the thing once you're done assembling it.

Still, your beef with the delays in getting it to you are fair.

'95 Auto L Sedan [SOLD]
ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | HAWK | ATE

antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Looks par for the course in getting heavy parts shipped.

Half the time my heavy parts are breaking through the box. I think one of my struts stabbed the UPS guy.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dv8 View Post
No Lou, donít misinform people. In it standard setup it handles more TQ than the ACT and engages like like a regular performance clutch with stock like foot pressure. For god's sake, its a twin disc. Havnet you driven a car with one yet? Get on NSXprime or any other NSX forum and ask around.

~Dv8
dv8 I did research but for sitting in bumper to bumper traffic that clutch looks like it will kill your legend. I sit in traffic a minimum of an hour a day with a beefy clutch it would be hell. I know its a superior clutch its just not for me. I have rps twin disc carbon clutch in both my stealth and 3000gt they are a joy to drive, but I'd hate to put them under serious loads in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antik View Post
Honestly, it looks par for a heavy shipment that seems to have made several "final destinations" en route - at least one before your place (photoshop out your address Lou).

Boxes aren't usually made for multiple hops.

I'm obviously not seeing the parts in person but from this side of the internet, I'd say it looks fine. Not perfect, but acceptable. I'd be pissed if they were cosmetic pieces but it's a clutch kit; you're never gonna see the thing once you're done assembling it.

Still, your beef with the delays in getting it to you are fair.
So Ben, if you see something that looks banged up from shipping and its pretty expensive to replace if needed, would you install it still "just cause?" The clutch looks like it was dropped before it was packaged, so seeing it as such worries me that maybe I'll install the pieces and the clutch spring(s) might come free and grenade in side my tranny. Does that seem like I should just be "fine" with what I have? Or waste even more time and tell them I want something to be proud of not a product that looks like its 98% complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post
Looks par for the course in getting heavy parts shipped.

Half the time my heavy parts are breaking through the box. I think one of my struts stabbed the UPS guy.

rich
IMO I paid 50 for shipping (Actual cost was 40.xx) and 19.20 for insurance for the amount of 1200 (later I was told and the box says its only for 750 why did I pay for the insurance amount of 1200 when it clearly is said its only for 750? ) Theres ZERO reasons the items should have came in the condition they arrived in.

My question is HOW did everything look so rough in the packaging? The pressure plate as you can see isn't even packaged its practically thrown in the box with the other pieces. The flywheel is opened and rust was forming on the mating surface. Finally the clutch has marks on the springs and paint chipped off the springs.

From the looks of it ACT did a HORRIBLE job with this product and packaging. Blackend being a company should have complained to ACT, saying these items looked "not as pictured". I mean its clear brian had these parts before I received them and he repackaged them in the box ACT shipped them in (which would have been fine if they were still all packaged and sealed, the seals are what prevents the rust from forming on the metals).

So I guess I'm going to end up saying don't even bother with dealing with ACT for this product. I dont even trust to put it in my car after this point it looks like a bunch of crap thrown together, just to hear someone stop bitching about awaiting parts. If I knew it would have arrived in such a way that it would take my own personal time to clean the parts and make them ready for install the price should have been less than it was. Just saying for anyone whose looking into these units be cautious.

I'm not saying I've never received heavy packages that didn't break through boxes, but come on how are the items that are "sealed" in a double box going to unseal? Shipping doesn't do that.

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
dv8 I did research but for sitting in bumper to bumper traffic that clutch looks like it will kill your legend. I sit in traffic a minimum of an hour a day with a beefy clutch it would be hell. I know its a superior clutch its just not for me. I have rps twin disc carbon clutch in both my stealth and 3000gt they are a joy to drive, but I'd hate to put them under serious loads in bumper to bumper traffic.

So what your saying is that you do better research than me? I highly doubt it based on our track records. The Spec stage 3 is a pain in the ass in stop & go traffic, you think that the ACT which is rated to handle more TQ is going to be any different when they are both sprung?

My best friend owns a 11.3 1/4mile street 300z TT. He had a spec twin and it was rated at 800tq, two solid hubs and it was a bit easier to drive than my sprung spec stage 3. He now has an OSGieken twin sprung and its virtually like stock or a stage 1. The standard setup clutchmaster 850 twin is twin sprung hubs too rated at 650-700tq.

Sell the ACT or get a refund, or use it. In the end your just going to want an auto. Quit your bitching.

~Dv8
16 yrs and counting. To many Experts, not enough Results. Where are yours? Retired Legend 616WHP@18PSI 10/11 12.1@124MPH 02/12 N/A 234whp 229lb-ft 13.7@99mph 95 deg. 06/07 Lexus IS-F Nitrous 11.3@123MPH 392WHP 372WTQ I/H/E N/A-Ladies car now.
Go-Kart 35whp 29wlbft http://www.2slik4u.com/
My Garage

"People can always copy what I did first" -Jesse James

RIP Dannie FUT James
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Lou, alot of the things you are seeing with your clutch and flywheel are very normal. About the only thing not normal about that is the rust on the flywheel. That said, your flywheel will rust overtime no matter what. as the clutch material wears into the flywheel, it will scuff the metal surface, when moisture comes into contact with it, it will rust, especially if it sits for a prolonged period of time, kind of like brake rotors.

As far as the springs chipping, that's gonna happen naturally as well. First time you engage that clutch and those springs go to work, guess what, the coating on them will start to crack.

As far as the shipping is concerned, that could have been done better. the insurance part would have pissed me off too.

About the engagement, DV8 is 100% correct. I will go on record right now as saying you are going to hate how that clutch feels in traffic. It's nearly unstreetable with that clutch. If it were me, Id sell it and get a different clutch. I didnt realize you went with a 6 puck vs a continuous one piece disc. That clutch is made for high rpm dropping, not driving in traffic or daily use. The twin sprung hub units are by far much smoother for street use and cant handle just as much power if not more power than the clutch you have.

Lastly, as far as the wait you had to endure for this product. I would have said fuck it and demanded a refund after waiting 2 months. There is absolutely NO reason to wait more than 8-10 weeks for a clutch and flywheel, and IMO even that is being generous. I understand this is a "new" product, but somewhere along the way, the ball got dropped. I personally would have gone another route.

Either way, whatever you decide to do with your clutch, good luck and I hope things work out.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #16
antik
I blame the M3.

antik will become famous soon enoughantik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPower View Post
So Ben, if you see something that looks banged up from shipping and its pretty expensive to replace if needed, would you install it still "just cause?" The clutch looks like it was dropped before it was packaged, so seeing it as such worries me that maybe I'll install the pieces and the clutch spring(s) might come free and grenade in side my tranny. Does that seem like I should just be "fine" with what I have? Or waste even more time and tell them I want something to be proud of not a product that looks like its 98% complete.
Nothing about that clutch or grander packaging looks dropped to me. The disk is sealed against the cardboard and I see no creasing or crumbling of the cardboard. Sure there are some pressure marks and a small puncture, but I'dve taken that as a result of three big heavy pieces being stacked in a box and transported.

Looks to me like the clutch was sitting face down on a table and someone in manufacturing slid it out of the way or across the table. The wear looks like the springs protrude furthest from the face of the disc so it was sliding along on them. I see the little chip you're talking about but I don't see why it would cause issue: the spring looks intact, well encased into the disc, and otherwise in fair shape.

It's far from the best packing job I've seen. In fact, I'll agree that the packaging would be disappointing upon arrival. Still, from what I see in the pictures, I wouldn't be too afraid to use the parts.

Like I said, it looks like heavy parts moved across the country.

Now, the larger experience of having waited for a damn long time for them and having them arrive in only satisfactory (as opposed to impressive) packing and condition is a different issue. I'm not saying that you're in the wrong for being disappointed: I probably would be too. I probably would've cancelled my order long before giving them the opportunity to get to this point.

'95 Auto L Sedan [SOLD]
ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | HAWK | ATE

Last edited by antik; 01-21-2011 at 04:00 AM.
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

interesting... just installed the clutch.

flywheel is steel just lightened (could have sworn it was supposed to be aluminum)

pressure plate looks good just the dials dont like to fit in the holes (yellow coating prevents this)

works fine with OEM pilot bearing and OEM throwout bearing. I'll update more later

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
whats77inaname
Not forgotten.

whats77inaname has a spectacular aura aboutwhats77inaname has a spectacular aura about

We're going to wait until VOLOS gets his stuff, and then we'll comment. I feel your pain in having to wait for the parts, but there are a lot of things in your posts that I, nor Brian, necessarily care for, but for the time being, until all products are delivered, I think everyone is practicing discretion in what is being said. In the interim, 1 point:

Since I unveiled this setup a few months ago, I don't understand why this thread it called the "OFFICIAL ACT CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL Unveiling thread". In the interim, I've fixed this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekpower
So here's the official pics of the 2nd ever ACT clutch/flywheel made specifically for Legends
because, as we all know, this is the official first set is pictured below

I f

Last edited by whats77inaname; 02-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.
whats77inaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
GreekPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
We're going to wait until VOLOS gets his stuff, and then we'll comment. I feel your pain in having to wait for the parts, but there are a lot of things in your posts that I, nor Brian, necessarily care for, but for the time being, until all products are delivered, I think everyone is practicing discretion in what is being said. In the interim, 1 point:

Since I unveiled this setup a few months ago, I don't understand why this thread it called the "OFFICIAL ACT CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL Unveiling thread". In the interim, I've fixed this

because, as we all know, this is the official first set is pictured below

I f
well urs was a prototype I thought? I thought I was the official first one after the prototype?

I mean i talked to brian alot (not you cause I thought brian was heading the whole process so sorry if you were involved I wasn't told that) but I've expressed concerns to brian time and time again in various texts. I understand how you guys couldnt do much because your worried about getting that last piece. I'm just the type of person if theres stuff going on, i like to be informed on what it is cause it greatly would affect my actions/words on the subject at hand. I know Brian told me alot of things that I didn't post here cause it wasn't his fault it was ACT's.

Overall the only issue with install was the flywheel wanted to hit my differential slightly (could have been one millimeter at most but its fixed now). the flywheel cleaned up, the spots actually weren't rust or dirt, they were i have no idea what but they looked better when I went to install the flywheel (took pics of the whole process).

clutch was in great shape (under side)

the pressure plate minus those damn plastic ring things installed into it, went in well and had no issues. only issue we ran into was the flywheel dowels not going thru the holes on the pressure plate, mainly the yellow paint ACT put on the pressure plate caused it to not go on.

but the setup is installed...awaiting testing. (as far as I know mike hasn't tested his, if he has its been in secret)...mike if you did test it please send me a pm on how it feels. I dont wanna say I'm the first tester if I'm not

Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

Looking at the pics at the beginning of the thread, I just don't see anything bad. I've seen clutches come in a lot rougher shape than that, and they work fine. Packaging gets broken on heavy shipments, and the surface rust on the pressure plate would happen no matter what, it's unprotected carbon steel, and like brake rotors, it will rust on the slightest exposure to humidity. The temperature changes the package goes through during shipping will create condensation inside the plastic wrap....no matter how well it was wrapped! The only alternative is to coat the whole thing in grease or oil, and you don't want THAT near the friction material...bad news...You should've seen how my turbocharger arrived from Garrett! You would die!