AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

View Poll Results: What sort of forced induction?
C20AT Transplant 1 5.26%
Wing turbo on a C27A1 9 47.37%
Single aftermarket turbo 7 36.84%
Twin turbo 0 0%
Supercharger 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
89HondaLegend
Old School
Default What to do? Advice from the best...

I am by no means in a rush or intending to start this project anytime soon, however because I like to do things on the cheap I would like to know what route might be best so I can start looking for parts and work out how I am going to do the project.
Basically I had convinced myself to throw in a JDM C20AT, maybe put in a 5 speed and call it a day. The main reason for this being my main preference, is the authenticity of the design. That is to say an official Honda Legend Factory Turbo Coupe.
The more I think about it though the more I realise that it just won't have enough power... after all if I want to drive a factory turbo I have both an auto and a manual sedan to choose from.
So what to do? Should I just put in the factory turbo engine and be happy I have a rare Coupe or should I put the factory wing turbo on a C27? This would still be authentic in my book and should generate enough power to meet my needs althought I suspect it might still be insufficient.

Well how much power is sufficient Steve? To be honest [Insert Name] I would love to make about 300 HP and whatever in the torque department.

Ofcourse, as the options suggest in the pole I could completely abandone the idea of factory and go for an aftermarket single turbo, twin turbo or supercharger set up. I do like the supercharger idea and they sounds awesome but I don't know about the drag and power assocaited to actually run the blower vs. the power gain.
Twin turbo seems like a lot of work but is something I would like to do if I went aftermarket. If anyone likes the TT idea and wants to comment on parallel or sequential turbo and why they think either is better please feel free.

All comments, thoughts, ideas, suggestions, criticisms are all welcome. As I said, I won't be starting the project soon but when I know what I want to do I can start the lookout for parts and getting them cheap.

The Coupe in question:

RIP Fut

Last edited by 89HondaLegend; 09-26-2009 at 04:42 AM.
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
awelliott
Senior Junior Member

awelliott will become famous soon enough

I vote for the wing turbo on the C27. First, I'm not aware of anyone having done it, so it will be interesting to see the results, plus it retains a from-the-factory flavor. Secondly, painstaking 100% authenticity isn't such a big consideration to me. After all, our cars are never going to achieve 57 Chevy Bel Air status, so it's not like you're going to be compromising something that's going to be extremely valuable down the road. Good luck with whatever you decide....
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

I voted a turbo but i would use a honda Turbo and intercooler. So you know its honda. I think that would be nice but the hard work to convert is going to be a pain.
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Wing turbo on a C27A1!!!!!!

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Homeboyx
Pimp Hand Strong

Homeboyx has a spectacular aura aboutHomeboyx has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Homeboyx Send a message via Yahoo to Homeboyx

got damn you have alot of legends
i gotta go with ^ on this one

RIP Fut
"A Legend Never Dies..." -Yours Truly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
sap
ignore the smoke

sap will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sap

I dunno if I'd do the wing turbo on the C27A, that's a big displacement jump and it might not be good for much boost. Anyone got the compressor chart for this thing?

Sig by Cole Austin
RIP Fut RIP l4zy
Stop by the unofficial Acura Legend IRC channel: Rizon #acuralegend.org
Check out the Acura Legend Wiki!
sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
NuclearSymphony
130R

NuclearSymphony will become famous soon enough

Hey Steve,

I can't look up the thread right now, but in one of your (or maybe Alex's) threads we went through the C20AT specs and how it compared to the C27 (as tested by Evan/"Chopped"), and it wouldn't flow nearly enough to go from the stock 190hp to 300hp. You're most certainly looking at an aftermarket turbocharger and some upgraded airflow/injectors/intercooler items, plus a standalone . . . but something tells me you already know all this.

I would dare say even a supercharger wouldn't get you much past 250, so it would seem a turbo would be your best bet for the 300 mark. Sounds like fun!

Erik

EDIT: What Stephen said just above me is accurate - it seems the turbo and the C27 block didn't work well together as is, although the C27 block is a lot stronger than the C20 block.

Last edited by NuclearSymphony; 09-26-2009 at 02:54 PM.
NuclearSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Just throw in a hair blower and call it a day lol. Naw but it seems like what Erik said is true. Doing an aftermarket turbo is the best way to go. If your going to do that, I suggest moving the battery in the trunk so you can get more space for the turbo to sit in.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
samo8ty5

samo8ty5 is on a distinguished road

Well since you’re in Australia I’m sure getting a c20AT won’t cost you as much as it would cost the rest of use in the U.S. you could drop that in, but i vote a super charger! Better low end gains and maybe easier to install over a after market turbo (or twin turbo) since you don’t have to change up to exhaust and it sounds better, but i guess that’s the muscle car guy in me. Cant wait to finish my 67 mustang..
samo8ty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
NuclearSymphony
130R

NuclearSymphony will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo8ty5 View Post
Well since youíre in Australia Iím sure getting a c20AT wonít cost you as much as it would cost the rest of use in the U.S. you could drop that in, but i vote a super charger! Better low end gains and maybe easier to install over a after market turbo (or twin turbo) since you donít have to change up to exhaust and it sounds better, but i guess thatís the muscle car guy in me. Cant wait to finish my 67 mustang..
I can see why you might think that, especially coming from the world of domestic muscle (I've had a few myself). However, in the instance of the first-generation Legend, the option of having a factory turbo manifold already available is a great advantage over the supercharger -- especially since fabricating an all-new intake manifold and crank pulley would be quite costly.

Having all the turbo plumbing already developed from the factory is too great an advantage to ignore, and makes it a much more cost-effective route. Not to mention the fact that a supercharger is stuck with a set boost pressure, whereas with a turbo setup you can control the boost manually if need be.