AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
gold89legend

gold89legend is on a distinguished road
Default need advice for my 89 legend

I need a new transmission or need to sell the car. Any advice?
gold89legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Whats wrong with the current transmission?

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

Automatic or manual transmission?

Mileage on the vehicle?

Overall vehicle condition?
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
awelliott
Senior Junior Member

awelliott will become famous soon enough

I assume you have an automatic. The obvious first step is to ensure the transmission is indeed shot and that you're not dealing with a problem of lesser severity, such as clogged shift solenoids.

Assuming the transmission is shot, you have two choices: 1.) go for a junkyard replacement or 2.) have the current transmission rebuilt.

Option 1 is much less expensive, but very problematic. First, these cars are nearly 25 years old, so the chances of finding a good used one are pretty slim. Even if the yard offers a warranty, you're going to be out quite a bit for having to have the unit removed/installed twice. I would avoid this option unless you can do the work yourself or unless you're fortunate enough to find a transmission that you know for a fact is good.

Option 2 is more expensive, but you'll have a transmission that should give you reliable service for years, assuming you deal with a competent, reputable builder.

There are obviously other factors that come into play, such as the current condition on the car, how much you can afford, etc. From a purely economic perspective, unless the car is in very good overall condition and you plan to keep driving it, now may be the time to bail.

There is the road less travelled if you really enjoy the car and would like to keep it, and that is to convert it to a 5-speed. I've got about 300k of seat time in G1 5-speeds and they've been bulletproof for me. It's labor intensive, requires patience to run down the parts, and can be very expensive if you have to hire out the job. However, it's worth considering if the car is in good shape and you hope to keep it. Good luck....
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
gold89legend

thank you for the reply. I had cars4causes pick up the car two days ago. It was sad to see it go but I figured if no one here wanted it then I would let it go. I didn't want to spend from up to $1200 to $2000 for a new transmission and that is the only information I could get. I will now leave this group since I no longer own the car. Thank you for being so kind. I am kind of sad. It would not go in reverse or 2nd gear and my husband wanted it out of the driveway. bye.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
gold89legend

thanks for the reply it was an automatic with 120 k miles with engine okay but smoke would come out of the tailpipe. It would not go into reverse or 2nd. It had a crack on the windshield and was dirty inside but otherwise, beautiful. Sorry no one wanted it here. It went to auction at cars4 causes in Ventura if anyone wants it. I miss it already but hubby demanded some action be taken to move it from the driveway.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
gold89legend

I would have loved to have kept it but I am not mechanically inclined. I posted it here because I was hoping an enthusiast would want it. I would have given it to anyone who would have cared enough to fix it. I gave it to an auction house for charities in Ventura if you want it you could contact them Cars4causes. It had sentimental value for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
gold89legend

Thank you for the reply. the transmission would not go into reverse or second. Since no one wanted the car on this forum, I gave it away to another place. It might go to a school where students can work on it.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Ventura huh? That's like 10 minutes away....sorry to hear you had to let her go...
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Ophidian

Ophidian is on a distinguished road

Sad, sorry you had to let her go!

Tint, Eclipse AVN 6600, Clifford alarm, Stromung muffler, HO alternator, SRI, Fut front strut bar, aluminum crank pulley, custom floor mats, new shift boot, new paint, JDM headlights, JDM clear corners, JDM rear mudflaps, new valves (no ticks), new leather.
Ophidian is offline   Reply With Quote