AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Center Console Removal

Originally Posted by 89HondaLegend

Can't say I have seen any pictures for this so I thought I would post it up. I remember taking my centre console out and it was pretty scary, but it isn't really that hard once you know how to do it.

The only tool you will need is a phillips head screw driver a flat head may come in handy and if things get bad a hammer is optional.

Insert jey into door lock and rotate in an anti-clockwise fashion. Place hand under door handle and lift gently. Open door and step inside.
For those who are lost already here is a picture

Remove all screws around the console (pictures from front to back):

Two here don't forget:

Open the lid for the centre compartment where your left arm (Right if you live in America ) usually sits and remove these two screws:

Take the coinholder out and remove these two screws:

Now you have all teh screws out you need to remove the wood around the shifter. it is only held in with metal spring clips so it just needs to be pulled back a smidge and lifted up. I always find that the one right at the back (closest to the back seat) is tough to get on mine so I usually put my hand through the compartment under the lid (after removing the little panel in there with the help of a flat head screw driver) and squeezing the metal spring. This picture might help you get an idea of what this spring or clip is I am referring to. I hope it doesn't confuse too much

Now you have the wood out you will see these two screws which also need to be removed:

Here are two more which need to be removed once the wood is out:

There is a screw above the heater/climate controls which believe it or not has to also be removed.

Left side above heater controls:

Right side above heater controls:

Please note my screws are not in those last two photo's. *For those who didn't pick that up *

Continued in next post...
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Now you have all those screws out you need to somehow manoeuvre the whole console down at the front so that it can come down from the lip above the heater vontrols and up at the back to allow the front to come down. Jiggle it around (Use hammer in this step if necessary) you wil figure it out.

So then you take that out of the car somehow. I somehow got it in an awkward position and tried to take it out the sunroof which didn't seem to work

So...now you have the centre piece out.

The radio and surround is removed with 4 screws, two on each side as you can see in this picture. There will be the radio connector and the aerial connector which need to be removed in order to take the assemble out.

Then you can remove the other four screws, once again two on either side of the heater controls. There is another phillips head screw located on top of the heater control unit which has to be undone and the connector plug removed from the back of the unit.

Process complete

Hopefully you aren't sitting there going :headscrat

Please take note with the screws as there are three different types.

As always let me know if there is something unclear, something that I missed or something which needs to be changed.
BTW my car is right hand drive, just though I would mention it lol.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
sam o nela
Banned

Now you have all those screws out you need to somehow manoeuvre the whole console down at the front so that it can come down from the lip above the heater vontrols and up at the back to allow the front to come down. Jiggle it around (Use hammer in this step if necessary) you wil figure it out.

So then you take that out of the car somehow. I somehow got it in an awkward position and tried to take it out the sunroof which didn't seem to work

So...now you have the centre piece out.

The radio and surround is removed with 4 screws, two on each side as you can see in this picture. There will be the radio connector and the aerial connector which need to be removed in order to take the assemble out.

Then you can remove the other four screws, once again two on either side of the heater controls. There is another phillips head screw located on top of the heater control unit which has to be undone and the connector plug removed from the back of the unit.

Process complete

Hopefully you aren't sitting there going :headscrat

Please take note with the screws as there are three different types.

As always let me know if there is something unclear, something that I missed or something which needs to be changed.
BTW my car is right hand drive, just though I would mention it lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
AcuraLegend55k1990
{Legend}{Supporter}

AcuraLegend55k1990 is on a distinguished road

Thank you acura legend guru!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
AcuraLegend55k1990
{Legend}{Supporter}

AcuraLegend55k1990 is on a distinguished road

Sam I have yet to put a new radio in man ��