AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fuel Pump Replacement....no pics

Originally Posted by pyros88legendcoupe

heres a DIY for a bad fuel pump or anything involveing nothing happening when you turn the key. I thought this might get some more attention then in the DIY section this way you will all know when it happens.

Find the problem, (check all fuses first)
if you turn the key and nothing happens listen for 2 clicks, 1 following the other in about 1 sec. they should come from the panel below your steering wheel. near the back above the brake pedal. thats your Main relay it supplies a direct 12v line to the fuel pump. Also listen for the buzz of the fuel pump, there very quiet in the legend so go into the trunk and put your head right in the middle at the back on the ground. no matter what you will hear something if its working. now you only have to the key 2 turns to start up the fuel pump and it only does it for 2 seconds

- IF NOTHING HAPPENS at all or any dash lights dim or anything electricaly different happens. move the key around and give the steering colum a good whack. if that fix's your problem the ignition switch is going something common on legends. i havent had it happen yet though. for that just take apart the steering colum and give it a cleaning and fix whatever broke. or replace contacts, solder in some metal.

- NO CLICKS, check for a 12v signal on the yellow wire, it might have a black stripe or any color stripe depending on where your from. jsut check them all for a 12v signal for 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the second pos. only one has a 12v for 2 secs. the white wire is the switch from the key ignition. so if its not working then its the ign switchs (where the key goes in) . the Light green wire is the power supply so it should have 12 v all time. so if you have 12v somewhere and no clicks when you turn on the car replace the main relay. its located right above the brake petal. just take out the 2 screw for the dash panel (bottom one) then reach around and unclip the panel. the Relay is the one with 8 wires its black or white and up top, very easy to see.

- HAVE CLICKS, and a 12v signal leaving on the yellow wire( the one that goes on for 2 secs when you switch the igntion to pos 2) go into the trunk remove everything take off the floor cover and the sq hard piece. you will see the grey fuel pump cover its got 4 10mm bolts on top. in there you have the fuel pump on the left and the gas level sens on the right. pull apart the connecters the right way and check for 12v at the 2 prongs. If you have no power the line is broken somewhere. if you do have power your fuel pump is dying or dead. give the car a good couple hits with a open hand around the fuel pump cover hole. if it starts makeing noise then you have a dead spot in the motor. you burnt it out from running to low on gas too often.

- REPLACING IT make sure you relieve the fuel pressure with a rag over the 12mm banjo bolt.either the one in the trunk or on the fuel filter. the fuel pump banjo bolt is a 14mm. ( a banjo is the one with the bolt on top and fuel line coming out of the side ). remove all the bolts, pull off the other hose line. Lift it out, might need some wiggiling. go get a new one or aftermarket. i reccomend honda for anything you change on a car if not get a japanese company like denso or ngk. they will work the best. use the kit and cut the wires from the leads on the pump to the terminals on the housing. Cut somewhere in the middel, splice in the new wires with the provided crimps.

DON't forget the fuel pump only makes noises when you turn the key to pos 2, and it only does it for 2 seconds,

No power to the main relay check the fuse box. Im sure this will help sometime.

Last edited by sam o nela; 06-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
MD_LegendLS_90
G1 Fan

MD_LegendLS_90 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to chime in here: You will be doing some fancy gymnastics in the trunk if you're replacing the pump unit, so if you have a bad back, bring something for cushioning. It helps the job greatly if you remove EVERYTHING from the trunk, including the spare tire. Have Ibuprofen on hand for the sore back that will haunt you for a while afterward, as well :P
MD_LegendLS_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Or you can just remove the rear seats and its right there .

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
18 characters long
SquareBobPantsSponge

18 characters long will become famous soon enough18 characters long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 18 characters long Send a message via MSN to 18 characters long Send a message via Yahoo to 18 characters long Send a message via Skype™ to 18 characters long

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy415 View Post
Or you can just remove the rear seats and its right there .
This. I've been in my tank several times with the fuel sender issues, this is just 3025734X easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Because I'm Fut and you're not...
One...
Fut
18 characters long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
MD_LegendLS_90
G1 Fan

MD_LegendLS_90 is on a distinguished road

Speaking of fuel sender issues, mine keeps saying I'm slightly below full, but I know I've driven more than that. Is the unit sticking, or should I start shopping for a new one?
MD_LegendLS_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
MsM8

MsM8 is on a distinguished road
Default Hear the pump - still not starting

All the whistle and bells, she wants to start, just not starting. Right before I parked and tried to start her again to leave, I noticed the fuel pump sounding louder than normal - then parked, turned her off, and she hasn't started since...fuel filter? Clogged somewhere in the fuel line?

Thank you in advance for reading and/or replying.

MsM8
MsM8 is offline   Reply With Quote