AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 11-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
samo8ty5

samo8ty5 is on a distinguished road

First great post i just installed this on my 89L, works great but i still need to install the washer/coolent sensor. my 89L has the connections for both of them all ready just cant find where they are in the car (so i guess ill run the line like you did). one thing, couldnt you tap into the oil pressure/low oil warning light, so the info center can have the oil level displayed? also you could put this system on any car really, you just need to know the wiring diagram and match the wires. the display comes off the map pocket and it could be mounted in under the dash or in some other place.
samo8ty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
awelliott
Senior Junior Member

awelliott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo8ty5 View Post
First great post i just installed this on my 89L, works great but i still need to install the washer/coolent sensor. my 89L has the connections for both of them all ready just cant find where they are in the car (so i guess ill run the line like you did). one thing, couldnt you tap into the oil pressure/low oil warning light, so the info center can have the oil level displayed? also you could put this system on any car really, you just need to know the wiring diagram and match the wires. the display comes off the map pocket and it could be mounted in under the dash or in some other place.
That wouldn't work. The info center only reads the oil level when you turn on the ignition just before you start the car. It's connected to a sensor/float inside the oil pan that determines the oil level. A completely different system monitors the low oil pressure, and it does it while the engine is running, whereas the info center oil level is a momentary reading when the key is first turned on and the engine is not running i.e., it's essentially like checking the dipstick....
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
samo8ty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott View Post
That wouldn't work. The info center only reads the oil level when you turn on the ignition just before you start the car. It's connected to a sensor/float inside the oil pan that determines the oil level. A completely different system monitors the low oil pressure, and it does it while the engine is running, whereas the info center oil level is a momentary reading when the key is first turned on and the engine is not running i.e., it's essentially like checking the dipstick....
oh i see. thanks. also i let my car get low on gas and the info-center now says fuel empty. my manual says it should reset itself when you fill up, but mine still displays fuel empty, and when i filled up i put in about 16.5 gallons meaning i had about 1.5 gallons remaining. so anyone know how to reset this????
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

You have to ground out the fuel door wire (I believe its brown). On my car, here is the procedure:

Before shutting off the car to fill up:

1) Go to the Distance to Empty Screen
2) Open the Latch on the right hand side of the Info center and hold SERVICE RESET (or whatever the hell the top button is) for 2 seconds
3) Turn of the car completely
4) Fill up
5) Return to car and turn back on.

The DTE counter should reset.

NOTES: This calculation uses your Tripometer reading from your previous tank and your Average MPG to estimate how long this new tank should last you. For that reason, do NOT reset the tripometer or the Average MPG until AFTER you have successfully reset the DTE.

I have actually seen at least two different procedures for the DTE reset and it could have been changed mid run...

But this is for sure the procedure that works for me...
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
samo8ty5

thanks, so i just ground it out like you ground out the oil wire (means its grounded all the time). see you got here on this, and i got you on the rotors! lol
Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Yup just ground her out like the oil wire...

Or you could find the actual fuel filler door latch from an LS car and swap that (assuming it matches your interior). That actually has a wire attached to it that grounds when you pull the latch...up to you!
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

I got the latch with the ground wire attached to it. Shit it thought the switch was hidden somewhere in the fuel door lid, but once I lifted the latch up, I saw a switch in there and I knew it was for resetting the gas fill up.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
kraigdankk

kraigdankk is on a distinguished road

This is old and not sure if any one looks here but do you guys know if the L could have all the stock info dash for it? its to late to just go look, or would i have to do some work ( witch doesnt bother me to have this in m car make a 89 feel like a 2000 haha
kraigdankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

It's a 50/50 chance in seeing one on a L model. Sometimes the L models already have the plug to install one.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
kraigdankk

kraigdankk is on a distinguished road

Yeah so i went to the junk yard for new headlights found nice clear ones and saw they had a 89 ls with all of the stuff in it but i for got the brain :/ haha so going back there tomorrow and picking it up, but yeah my L had the plugs on it for the washer/reservoir for it just no brain witch for some reason after reading this all last night forgot it and thought it might have it so i got the dash info thing took it off cause the one it was on was a red interior and i have black witch was easy and hooked up everything just now the wire work. So since i hade the connections already is it plug and go from there or will i have to still tap wires, and i tried for the fuel door but it was all gone, i hope this works put a nice touch to the car.
kraigdankk is offline   Reply With Quote