AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > First Generation Legend (1986 - 1990)

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cleaning Front Drain Holes

Originally Posted by Ken

How to clean Front Drain holes for G1 (Sunroof/Non-Sunroof)

I’m only 13 so this is my first try. (I think I’m the first young guy to do this.)

Tools: 1 long piece of hard wire that can be bent with a bit of force (about 4 feet long)

1 big pair of tweezers (Mine were 1 foot long)

1 tiny pail that can fit under the car

1 Phillip screw driver

Time: About half an hour, a bit more if you have a sunroof

Procedures:

1)(Skip to step 2 if you don’t have a sunroof) Take the long piece of wire and stick it down the front sunroof drain hole and try to clear as much debris as possible. (pull the wire up and down to get the stuff down in to the drain hole where the splash guard is) Repeat for both sides.

2)Spray some high pressured water down the drain between the windshield and the hood on both sides. If you have a sunroof, spray a little stream down the drain holes to clear the rest of the debris out.

3)Remove the front splash guards or as much of the bottom half as possible. This will loosen the fender well cover a bit on the bottom. Now take your big tweezers and stick it into the gap. Get as much debris out as you can. Don’t forget to use the pail to put the slimy stuff in. Spray more water in to the top drain holes to let the rest of the debris flow out.

4)Test the sunroof drain to see if water flows out. If no water flows out, if not, repeat the wire part. If it work well, reinstall the mudguards and fasten tightly so it doesn’t fall off while you’re driving. I am not responsible for any injuries or if you break anything. Remember our cars are old, so the materials might be worn out and easy to break.

5)Enjoy your clean drain holes!!!!!

Last edited by sam o nela; 11-25-2009 at 10:43 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Gauvain

Gauvain is on a distinguished road
Default So, to make sure I understand...

My GF has a '86 Legend that keeps having problems with the roof filling up with water. There are drain holes that are supposed to prevent that? Where are they exactly? I understand the cleaning instructions, but they seem to assume that you know where the drains are.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Gauvain
Gauvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

If you open the sun roof, look at the corner where the glass sits, and you should see a hole on both side and theres also on the rear. Shouldn't be too hard to find it.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Ken
ridin' high

Ken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauvain View Post
My GF has a '86 Legend that keeps having problems with the roof filling up with water. There are drain holes that are supposed to prevent that? Where are they exactly? I understand the cleaning instructions, but they seem to assume that you know where the drains are.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Gauvain
when you open your sunroof and look at the 4 corners, you will see little holes where water can drain. also another thing you can do is when you remove the fender wells, stick your hand in there and squeeze the nipples at the end of the drain tubes like you're milking a cow. It'll clear them out very well.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
neogeek

neogeek is on a distinguished road

Should the moonroof seal be replaced as well? While I know that the drains are there to serve exactly this purpose, shouldn't the seal have taken care of most of this problem from preventing most of the water from coming in? When mine leaked, I would say a good gallon or two would dump on my head. from a relatively light rain.
neogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Mikeo
1989 Acura Legend

Mikeo is on a distinguished road

nope just get those holes cleaned out.
Mikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
MD_LegendLS_90
G1 Fan

MD_LegendLS_90 is on a distinguished road

Are there drains at the back of the car that keep water away from the trim under the lights? I'm getting ready to repair that piece and I don't want it rusting again.

EDIT: Nm, didn't find any. Have to think of something else for that area...

Last edited by MD_LegendLS_90; 07-13-2010 at 10:45 AM.
MD_LegendLS_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
BABO_C27A1

BABO_C27A1 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, i couldn't acces the rear drain holes for cleaning, although i saw the location of the on the FSM i couldnt find them. Also where is the outlet for these ? Any help would be much appreciated.

P.s pics would be awesome!

MANDO.....
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Under the car behind the rear quarters...look for a rubber black nipple on either side of the car.

And lie to the side...if it's clogged, when you shove something in there to clear it out, a beautiful smelling cesspool will be your reward! Don't want to be directly under when it drains out!
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
BABO_C27A1

BABO_C27A1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Under the car behind the rear quarters...look for a rubber black nipple on either side of the car.

And lie to the side...if it's clogged, when you shove something in there to clear it out, a beautiful smelling cesspool will be your reward! Don't want to be directly under when it drains out!
I'll check that tonight! Thx :thumnsup: