AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
92drls
Factory Freak 2

92drls is on a distinguished road
Default Stocks, whos investing?

I've been throwing around the idea of starting to invest. I'm not sure where or how much to begin with but I need some help getting started. It doesn't have to be big but I wanna start somewhere, even penny stocks and maybe learn as I go. If you have any investing tips or tricks or just opinions please let me know. If its something you don't want everyone to know feel free to PM me. ANYTHING is helpful, I've been reading magazines and picked up a few books but not sure where to go from here. Thanks
92drls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Car2n
R.I.P. FUT

Car2n is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about it but there's a thread on the NSXPrime where they have discussions about this subject, I think the name is "how about the stock market" or something like that.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
filmshoot
Kierkegaard binge

filmshoot is on a distinguished road

www.sharebuilder.com search google for "coupon codes" and get free $50.00 to invest with.

I've made about 80% return on my portfolio year to date. All because I invested when nobody else was.

Think Green. That's all I gotta say.
filmshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Homeboyx
Pimp Hand Strong

Homeboyx has a spectacular aura aboutHomeboyx has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Homeboyx Send a message via Yahoo to Homeboyx

ive been trying to get into all this investing type of thing for quiet a while now but i have no clue how to start off..
or what to do for that matter

RIP Fut
"A Legend Never Dies..." -Yours Truly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Goatman
Head Ninja

Goatman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Goatman Send a message via MSN to Goatman

I have money in the stock market. Recently, when the market tanked, my stocks were reduced to less than half of what I put into them. But within the last few weeks, I've actually been showing some gains.

The key is not to freak out from occasional peaks and valleys, but to keep an eye on overall gain (and pray you don't invest in a company that's falsifying records, but is secretly going bankrupt).

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
-C. S. Lewis
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Homeboyx
Pimp Hand Strong

Homeboyx has a spectacular aura aboutHomeboyx has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Homeboyx Send a message via Yahoo to Homeboyx

what kind of companies can i buy stocks from?

RIP Fut
"A Legend Never Dies..." -Yours Truly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
mellofelow

mellofelow is on a distinguished road

This is something I actively do, my part time job in fact. If you're asking this question in general, I'd seriously suggest you leave this to a professional. Not just any pro, but someone who has proven track records to outperform S&P consistently, both in bull market and profit in worse of bear conditions as well.

OK, so the market has risen 60% since March. Filmshoot's rate of return at 80% is beating the market by a margin but if that's true, I'd like to know the rate of return the year prior when the market lost 60%. And that is pretty much inline with Goatman's post.

No one here has a crystal ball to tell you where and how to invest. Even if you have a sure thing, it's illegal. Everyone has their own strategy, goals and risk management. It'd be best to leave it to someone who understands that and do the work for you. Meanwhile, keep monitor the progress and learn as you go. Eventually you'll make sound decisions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Billio...&asset=&ccode=

Last edited by mellofelow; 10-16-2009 at 07:05 PM.
mellofelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
92drls
Factory Freak 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post
www.sharebuilder.com search google for "coupon codes" and get free $50.00 to invest with.

I've made about 80% return on my portfolio year to date. All because I invested when nobody else was.

Think Green. That's all I gotta say.
That's what I've been thinking lately. Kinda sucks tho, alot of my family has oil lol

Thanks guys.. I'll prolly get with a family friend with experience and maybe my econ teacher to help. If I find some magic somewhere maybe I'll share.. But all in all, nows the time to get in and get in deep with the right people. Ive got a few ideas.

Last edited by 92drls; 10-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
filmshoot
Kierkegaard binge

filmshoot is on a distinguished road

even when my portfolio began to tank (go red) in Oct. 08 I began pumping more money in at that time. That was my strategy, and it kept me in the green. I held to that strategy and pumped more money into my portfolio in March.. My horizon is longterm... I'm in it for the long-run, I'm not into "day-trading" or any of that, I've seen it devastate a lot people's Peace of mind... The market swings basically go inline with their emotions, and they are a mess. I'm cool with that, I'de rather jump in and jump out as few of times as possible, and have nice steady growth.

But for a macro approach: Think about your money as if you were voting. What are you voting for when you invest your money? If you invest in say, Monsanto, you are basically like "F**" everyone, I hope they all die, and i'm gonna try and make every last dollar off of em....

but if you think about what the company is going to do with the money you loan them, and if you agree that it will be beneficial to the world as a whole, then give them your money. You wil likely see a nice return. This is Green investing. Or socially responsible Investing. Or Progressive Asset Management. Whatever you want to call it, you are looking at more than just Profit, as the bottom line. You are instead looking at a triple bottom line: People, Planet, Profit.

but the main thing is.. no matter how much money you have right now... open an acct. and start investing. I opened my acct. with like $100.00 a few years ago. I was a broke college student. It's not so much what you start with... it's that you start. Once your in, your all good. it becomes easier to add to your portfolio in small increments over time. just being in the market is a good thing, if you look at what the market has done over the past 60 years, imagine if you woulda bought a small bit back then? i'm not saying the future will mimic the past, but it's really all we have to go off of.

Last edited by filmshoot; 10-17-2009 at 12:19 AM.
filmshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
92drls
Factory Freak 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post
even when my portfolio began to tank (go red) in Oct. 08 I began pumping more money in at that time. That was my strategy, and it kept me in the green. I held to that strategy and pumped more money into my portfolio in March.. My horizon is longterm... I'm in it for the long-run, I'm not into "day-trading" or any of that, I've seen it devastate a lot people's Peace of mind... The market swings basically go inline with their emotions, and they are a mess. I'm cool with that, I'de rather jump in and jump out as few of times as possible, and have nice steady growth.

But for a macro approach: Think about your money as if you were voting. What are you voting for when you invest your money? If you invest in say, Monsanto, you are basically like "F**" everyone, I hope they all die, and i'm gonna try and make every last dollar off of em....

but if you think about what the company is going to do with the money you loan them, and if you agree that it will be beneficial to the world as a whole, then give them your money. You wil likely see a nice return. This is Green investing. Or socially responsible Investing. Or Progressive Asset Management. Whatever you want to call it, you are looking at more than just Profit, as the bottom line. You are instead looking at a triple bottom line: People, Planet, Profit.

but the main thing is.. no matter how much money you have right now... open an acct. and start investing. I opened my acct. with like $100.00 a few years ago. I was a broke college student. It's not so much what you start with... it's that you start. Once your in, your all good. it becomes easier to add to your portfolio in small increments over time. just being in the market is a good thing, if you look at what the market has done over the past 60 years, imagine if you woulda bought a small bit back then? i'm not saying the future will mimic the past, but it's really all we have to go off of.
Wow thanks. Good insight. Pretty much believe in what your investing in and just do it, start somewhere.. Thanks