AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > The Projects > Legend Builds

Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
NuclearSymphony
130R

NuclearSymphony will become famous soon enough
Default The Shadow Hunter: Summer Run

It has been a long time! A lot has happened, including the dissolution of Project 130R as an entity (long story, but the short version is - I had too little time and had to make the tough choice). It took forever and a day, but I finally carved out time for a little shoot and update with the Shadow Hunter. Since I kind of tend to be a tiny bit detail-oriented, I wanted to be sure a few things happened in a certain order.

Continuing down the road closer to the realm of motorsport, I pursued the theme of taking everything in small steps. Rather than dump the car to the ground and throw on a set of outrageous wheels at the start, my exposure to the world of BMW aftermarket gave me the thought of trying out lowering springs and modest spacers with OEM wheels. This is a popular beginning step with a lot of sports car owners, if they want to reduce that ride height and nudge the wheels out for better stance and handling - without shelling out mad cash for coilovers and a new set of wheels in their preferred offset.

With the next set of wheels already picked out (a few of you have seen them already), on went the ST springs and H&R spacers. The end result was great - a nice, subtle drop that looked OEM, and the wheels sat out near the actual fenders instead of being tucked way in like car manufacturers did with most of their cars for years. For those of you that are not looking to trade in your OEM wheels and simply want a more modern, sleeker look for only a few hundred dollars, this may be the way you want to go. The spacers come with longer wheel studs, which are kind of pain to install - one side of the head needs to be ground off so they will fit around the hub. Considerable hammering and non-family friendly language may ensue.

A few notes: the ST springs are no longer in production, so you may have to look to Europe or Japan for a new set of springs. Also, watch your new ride height on bumps and steep driveways! I’ve only cracked the bottom of my transmission bell housing once so far . . . so there’s that. A new set of shocks next year should provide stiffer compression and rebound to compensate.

With that sorted for now, I had to find an excuse to install that beautiful aluminum crank pulley Telion had made a few years ago. Only ten were ever produced, and it unleashed a few more noticeable horsepower on my old sedan, so when the timing belt and water pump were due to be changed, I seized the opportunity and made the swap. At the same time, I had a few Mugen parts in hand from King Motorsports to try out. Unfortunately, the radiator fan switch did not fit, but the 170-degree racing thermostat from the ’94-01 Integra was a perfect fit! Whether from air bubbles or a stuck thermostat, my water temperature used to like creeping up when it thought I wasn’t watching, but since this little gem was installed, it has not budged from the 4/10ths position. Believe me, I’ve done my best to make it overheat, and it refuses.

Braking was aided by the Hawk pads last year, but I love the StopTech slotted rotors, as I feel they provide fantastic performance for the money, so I put a set on the front and another set of Hawk pads in the rear at the same time. While there are a few other additions coming in the stopping department, this setup reigns in speed like an anchor deploying from the trunk. Repeated high-speed braking yields zero fade, and short of installing a big brake kit, you can’t ask for more than this outside of a competition circuit.

Another influence from my involvement with BMWs is that of black exterior emblems. I had Evan at Accurate Cars (“Chopped”), who did all the paintwork for Project 130R and who is supremely talented with a paint gun, send over a set of gloss black ACURA and V6L emblems, and set of custom L-E-G-E-N-D letters in black and yellow. This stemmed from my original design scheme of dark gray/black with yellow as an accent color. While Evan did an amazing job as always with the letters, seeing that yellow so close to the red/clear taillights dampened my enthusiasm, and while it seemed like a great idea on paper, I will be changing them to a different set shortly. In front a set of HIDs in non-ricer 6000K greatly increases night visibility.

While the ’90 LS burlwood interior trim looked perfectly fine at first, I knew almost immediately that woodgrain and motorsport rarely go together, so I removed it for a set of custom painted pieces (again from Evan) in Ebony Black Metallic to match the exterior paint color. The OEM head unit was sold to a good friend in the Czech Republic, and a G2 unit was installed in its place for the time being, but that also will not last long. While this car is not necessarily headed down the path to JDM that my old sedan was, I did get my hands on a couple of interesting pieces, including a set of aluminum door sills, chrome lighters, seat recliner levers, and some rear radio controls. Small touches, but they make a difference.

Looking forward, there are much bigger things in store, and I can’t wait to get the car in front of a camera once again! Special thanks to:

Scott @ King Motorsports Unlimited
James Goll
David and Ben @ Zimbrick Honda Service Center
Jim @ Zimbrick Acura
Alex @ Jankuyado
Evan @ Accurate Cars
Jose Ruiz
And everyone else who showed support!

Mod List (new mods in bold):
Intake Resonator Delete (- 1.25 lb.)
Telion aluminum crank pulley
Spoon Sports magnetic oil drain plug
Mugen 170-degree thermostat
1991-95 Legend Type II FPR (fuel pressure regulator)
JDM Honda Type-R oil cap
OEM 1988-90 Legend screw-on oil filter housing conversion
StopTech slotted front rotors
Hawk HPS front brake pads
Hawk HPS rear brake pads
Suspension Techniques lowering springs
H&R 10mm spacers front/rear

JDM Honda Timing Belt Service Decal
JDM Honda Gas Tag
JDM Honda Cold Area Tag
Black/custom rear emblems
Radio Antenna/Motor Delete (- 2.0 lb.)
OEM Honda rubber grommet (in antenna hole)
1990 KA3 red/clear taillights
Zentex 6000K HID headlights
Redline Goods leather shift boot
Custom painted shift boot trim
Custom painted center console trim (Ebony Black Metallic)
JDM aluminum door sills
JDM chrome lighters
JDM chrome seat recliner lever
JDM rear seat radio controls
G2 Legend Bose head unit

Last edited by NuclearSymphony; 04-21-2016 at 08:11 AM.
NuclearSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

A fine coupe. I sometimes regret getting rid of my 88, it was a wonderful trouble free car. Decided to hock it for a G2 coupe.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Jdewget

Jdewget is on a distinguished road

What a beauty. Glad to see it all finally come together. Thanks for the honorable mention. Glad to help a true classic Legend come to be. In spring we have to do our long overdue shoot. Just say when. Congrats buddy. You deserve this.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Classic !! Superb attention to detail.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Very nice Erik. Love the way the Coupe sits and the little details you've added to the interior. Well done.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
1988G1

1988G1 is on a distinguished road

nice job.
1988G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Wow that subtle drop and the spacers really do give those OEM wheels a new look! Awesome!
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Vic Cardenas

Vic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the rough

Very Nice!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #9
//KA Racing
Z.I.M

//KA Racing is on a distinguished road

beautiful!

But a Dream In The Making
//KA Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
"Chopped"
Currently Building

"Chopped" is on a distinguished road

I love what you've done with it! Jealous...