AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Site Feedback and Requests > Feedback and Requests

Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #41
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Simply put, too much black and white, and not enough grey area of discretion ad the ability for the mods and forum members to be involved with open discussiosn regarding rule changes and implmentation. At least that is what I am gathering from this whole discussion.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #42
Vic Cardenas

Vic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the rough

Ability to close own FS thread to make things easier?

I think we should have the ability to have multiple threads, WITHIN REASON. There is no good reason to have 23 different threads. But to have more than 1 is necessary for some of us. If Alex is selling fog lights and parting a car, he should be able to have 2 threads for that. If Brian is selling 3 sets of wheels and 2 strut bars and 9 parts of misc. stereo equipment, he should be able to have 3 different threads, IMO. (1 for wheels, 1 for strut bars and 1 for stereo equipment) etc...

I know it was frustrating when I tried to part my car with the 1 thread. Some parts I had, I wanted to showcase to get them sold faster or they were more commonly sold parts that seemed to get lost in the clutter. I know I am also one who is guilty of completely ignoring other people's parts threads that are 30 pages long.

Last edited by Vic Cardenas; 07-23-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Vic Cardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Simply put, too much black and white, and not enough grey area of discretion ad the ability for the mods and forum members to be involved with open discussiosn regarding rule changes and implmentation. At least that is what I am gathering from this whole discussion.
Grey areas start riots.

Rule enforcement starts riots.

Being lazy moderators starts riots.

God help me I don't *ever* want to be a moderator.

-Matt
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #44
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Q, The point made tho is that it shouldnt have just been a mod discussion, it should have been an open discussion among the members.
There was no discussion previously because those rules were in place before this forum had a single member registered. It is now being discussed because someone decided to speak up about it. That's fine, and encouraged. We (I at least) want to hear everybody's feedback on every aspect of this forum.

Quote:
additional changes should have been implemented, such as infinite editing for the OP to maintain his/her threads
I will say it once more, since it may have been lost in the previous long post.

As of late February 2013, every Marketplace thread can be edited indefinitely. This was one of the first change I suggested and saw implemented as a mod.

Quote:
cluttered with old obsolete posts
This is another change I implemented at the same time to solve that. Marketplace threads older than 90 days with no activity are automatically locked. This virtually eliminates old posts being bumped for items that aren't available anymore.

It is certainly possible that you didn't see these changes when they were made, it may have occurred during your last break from the forum...
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Dramatic much? I dont see a riot anywhere.... I see an open discussion that was going fine. You need to chill out on the personal attack shit, you know my number, you can PM me any time. If there is a problem or something you dont understand why I said or what I meant, simply ask. Enough derailing, lets keep it moving forward. Now I said I was done earlier, but now, Im really done.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #46
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
There was no discussion previously because those rules were in place before this forum had a single member registered. It is now being discussed because someone decided to speak up about it. That's fine, and encouraged. We (I at least) want to hear everybody's feedback on every aspect of this forum.

I will say it once more, since it may have been lost in the previous long post.

As of late February 2013, every Marketplace thread can be edited indefinitely. This was one of the first change I suggested and saw implemented as a mod.

This is another change I implemented at the same time to solve that. Marketplace threads older than 90 days with no activity are automatically locked. This virtually eliminates old posts being bumped for items that aren't available anymore.

It is certainly possible that you didn't see these changes when they were made, it may have occurred during your last break from the forum...
I was completely unaware of this change. And as far as I can tell from the 2 different convos pertaining to this, many others were also left in the dark on this matter too. so atleast we got that portion cleared. Ok, seriously tho, Im done.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #47
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

I'm not exactly sure of the breaking point between forum spam and healthy chatter, but I personally like a forum that is mostly solutions and a healthy stream of projects.

The FS threads are a gamble in so many ways just by the nature of a peer vetted channel like we have... but there's nothing worse than being inundated with multiple FS threads by the same person. Even worse IMO is the "bump" just to keep them on top of latest posts.

I fully understand, though, that my opinion is no better than the next person's nor do I have a clue over what's best... but I believe the forum mods have the best intentions at maintaining a good resource that is enjoyable for members. As far as I can tell the rules are really there to provide a good overall experience.

I just wish something could be done to correct the faulty autocorrect in mobile user's posts. (i kid, i kid)

But I'd like to take a little stab at what really is going on the threads and comments that lead up to this one we are gathering in right now. As far as I can tell this very thread has a few forces working in collusion. One group doesn't like the way things are being run and some even feel like they should be calling the punches as mods. Another group just wants to be able to do what they want without anyone questioning the how or why. Yet another group is just stirring the pot... because that's the really fun part of a forum of opinionated people like us. There's more but that's good enough for illustrative purposes.

None of the groups above seem interested in understanding the efforts of those who have been charged with keeping some semblance of order in an inherently chaotic communication model.

If allowing multiple threads really is the way to go then I just figure they would need to age very quickly to roll out of visual focus on the fast moving filters AND a ban be instituted for abusive spamming. Again, there's nothing worse to me than a "Today's Posts" filter that gets totally clogged with special offers and FS items. (And I buy my fair share of stuff out here)

Regardless, I've gotten a lot of help out here and hopefully given a little back along the way. I don't think this place is as bad as some of us are painting it to be. Can we all just have a group hug and start getting along together?

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Dramatic much? I dont see a riot anywhere.... I see an open discussion that was going fine. You need to chill out on the personal attack shit, you know my number, you can PM me any time. If there is a problem or something you dont understand why I said or what I meant, simply ask. Enough derailing, lets keep it moving forward. Now I said I was done earlier, but now, Im really done.
Personal attacks, really? Grow a sac please I'm keeping it civil. Agreed lets stop.

Now please stand on the soap box and tell these nice folks how you'd like the for sale section modified to suit your preferences - at least for the duration that you're here - until you decide to leave again.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #49
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
I was completely unaware of this change. And as far as I can tell from the 2 different convos pertaining to this, many others were also left in the dark on this matter too. so atleast we got that portion cleared. Ok, seriously tho, Im done.
For reference, here is the original announcement:

Quote:
We've made a couple of little changes to the Marketplace section of the forum. As before, each member can only have one active thread per Marketplace section. These two changes should make it easier for everyone to maintain and update that thread, and also make it easier for potential buyers to immediately see what you have available. First, you will now be able to edit your Marketplace posts indefinitely. Previously, you could only edit a post for 180 days (and that restriction remains in place for all non-Marketplace subforums). Second, any Marketplace thread with no activity for 90 days is automatically locked.

When you sell an item, be sure to update your original post to mark the item as sold. Don't delete the item from the original post, or on the same token, do not delete an entire post when the item is sold. It's nice to have a history of what parts sold and for what price for future reference to other buyers and sellers. Also the iTrader system requires a link to the sale thread when leaving feedback.

When you have a new item for sale, add a new post to the end of the thread and add it to the first post. Doing this is not a requirement, but it's the best way for you as the seller to maximize exposure. This ensures that both members who are already following your thread and members who are seeing your thread for the first time and only skim the first post will be able to see everything you have for sale. Note that you still can not edit the main title of an existing thread, so if you have multiple items for sale and expect to add more in the future, use a thread title that reflects that. If a thread title must be changed, you can use the Report Post button and a mod can change it for you.

The first batch of old threads has already been locked. If yours was locked and you are still selling those items, use the Report Post button on the thread to request that it be re-opened. To ensure it doesn't get locked again, you can bump it as needed. The same rules apply to bumping threads, a maximum of once per day is allowable. But don't go crazy with it and bump your thread every day for no reason. If it's still on the first page, there's no need to continuously bump it.

If you post a new thread in a section where you already have an existing open one, the new thread will be merged with the old one. If you continuously post new threads, they will just be deleted without warning.

Side Note: Please do not post "PM sent". These posts are pointless and only add needless clutter to a sales thread. The member you sent the PM to already knows you sent them a PM, and everybody else doesn't need to know. That's why it's called a private message.
In fairness, this may not have been seen by people who use only the (ridiculously terrible) Tapatalk app or exclusively use the Today's Posts link to catch up on the forum.

Last edited by Quaraxkad; 07-23-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
For reference, here is a link to the original announcement: http://forums.acuralegend.org/announcement.php?a=6

In fairness, this may not have been seen by people who use only the (ridiculously terrible) Tapatalk app or exclusively use the New Posts link to catch up on the forum.
Bad link...

"sr5guy, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

-Matt