AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
95pearlwhiteGS
1995 GS, Pearl White

95pearlwhiteGS is on a distinguished road
Default Man!!! I can't catch a break...

So I buy a new radiator around October 2011 after doing HG. I bought a Pro radiator 8011278. I put a .9 cap on it because it's the only one I found in Autozone that fit. It was all good. But then I decided that the .9 cap wasn't good for my system. I needed to get the 1.1. I went to the store where I bought the radiator from and was given a stant 1.1 that I thought was the right one. Well, it wasn't. I noticed that the needle went up just a hair line. Oh oh. The upper hose callapsed. I put the .9 cap back on and changed the upper hose again. Bled the sytem. Today I checked it again and the radiator is leaking at the seam on the upper passenger side WTF!!!!!hgeez: Now I need to get a new radiator.... SH______T!!!!!!!! tomorrow will be snowing and my mechanic does not know if he is going to the shop. I lost the f---ing receipt to the radiator so I am forced to buy a new one. No receipt no exchange. I am going to get a Koyo maybe it's a blessing in disguise...

If I can't do it tomorrow can I do it next Saturday? That way I can order a Koyo on the internet. It wil be cheaper. Where can I order it from?
95pearlwhiteGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be more concerned that you blew the HG's again. with a .9 bar radiator cap, the pressure of the cooling system isnt high enough to effectively cool the tops of the cylinders nearest the heads, that could be why you radiator has a leaking seam, air pressure getting into the cooling system is usually what causes seam leaks. The other possible place for a seam leak is covered in a TSB. Where the throttle linkage connects to the upper part of the radiator. If that bracket is over tightened, the seam will crack.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
95pearlwhiteGS
1995 GS, Pearl White

Nah, the .9 cap was fine. The problem was that he 1.1 stant that I got did not allow the system to vent to the overflow at some point to relieve excess pressure thus it undid the seem on the radiator. The spring in the middle was too long. I think that it built enough pressure to cause the seem at the upper corner passenger side to leak.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95pearlwhiteGS View Post
Nah, the .9 cap was fine. The problem was that he 1.1 stant that I got did not allow the system to vent to the overflow at some point to relieve excess pressure thus it undid the seem on the radiator. The spring in the middle was too long. I think that it built enough pressure to cause the seem at the upper corner passenger side to leak.
Ah I follow now. You have a CSF style neck on the radiator so the 1.1 bar cap didnt work. Note to self, next time, order a 1.1 bar from an early 90's Accord, that's the correct size and pressure for a CSF style radiator neck. Be careful, some of the Koyo's have that same style neck.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
95pearlwhiteGS
1995 GS, Pearl White

Well I bought the correct cap ....lol but too late...do you think I can go till next Saturday if I can't do it tomorow?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

If you bought at Autozone, the Rad should come with a warranty of at least a year. Even if you don't have the receipt, Autozone keeps all of their stuff electronically. So when you bought the Rad they should have asked for your phone number. That is the record of your warranty.

EDIT: Read wrong...looks like you only got the cap at autozone?
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
95pearlwhiteGS
1995 GS, Pearl White

yeah, I f'd up big time. I went to a local shop...Oh well live and learn. Can anyone give me an opinion if I can make it till next Saturday if I can't get it done tomorrow?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Dreams94coupe

Dreams94coupe has a spectacular aura aboutDreams94coupe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coupe

Depends on how bad the leak is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams94coupe View Post
I've invested way too much time, money, blood sweat and tears for me to see someone else enjoy it. Only way I'm giving up my Vanessa is till death do us apart.
Dreams94coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
95pearlwhiteGS
1995 GS, Pearl White

yeah I guess you're right...I'll have to keep my eye on it if I can't get it done tomorrow....mistakes are so costly.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
kongbuiltt
Dissizit!

kongbuiltt is on a distinguished road

Don't drive on it for long. Not worth the risk by any means...

From what I read constant stress isn't with the leak detrimental, but if that needle goes up and fluctuates back down then I would recommend flush/bleed and new thermostat to play it safe.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be OK.

Simple enough.
kongbuiltt is offline   Reply With Quote