AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
uniquelegend
Legend Enthusiast

uniquelegend is on a distinguished road
Default re: everyone

wow, impressive and to think I needed to change clutches every 1-2 years on daily driving and I dont even redline it or race it often considering I live in a boring town. You guys make me feel like a poor driver.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

18 years, 266,228 miles.

Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
AcuRas

AcuRas is on a distinguished road

babump. My clutch unit is slipping terribly after only 45,000 miles.

I replaced the clutch back in '06 when I bought the car (I bet the reason it was being sold) with a JDM kit, I know the quality was high.

I'm pretty sure it was a combination of factors that burnt it out. The first 6 months or longer I was obsessed with peeling out from stop lights. Just couldn't help myself. In that first winter I also would also tear around an open parking lot at my school, trying to drift.

I think the pedal adjustment screwed me also. I wanted it very close, just a tap to disengage. I fiddled with it on a number of occasions and although I imagined I was within limits today I'm not sure.

My Dad had to use the car many times throughout the years. I told him it was a hydraulic clutch, not to press the damn thing to the floor to shift. That probably doesn't hurt much but I would shudder when he took of over revving the motor before shifting. Who knows how bad he rode my clutch.

What finally did me in was towing a friends Saturn 10 miles hitting a bunch of stop lights. Lord that was so frigging stupid. hgeez:

Well good news is I already purchased a kit (85$) and have done the job before. Just gotta get pumped up, ouch this repair is a lot of work!
AcuRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
89Legendary

89Legendary is on a distinguished road

In order for a clutch to last as long as everyone claimed, it must be very well maintain such as optimum shifting point where engine have the least load, smooth clutch engagement, no high reving, no double clutching, burnouts or any sorts of abuses, no hauling, no downshift power brake or uphill climb. Beside all above average everday normal driving range between 4 to 6 years or 75k -100k. My used Exedy kit last 4 years 75k with all abuse above and track run too. I have not experience OEM clutch.

Last edited by 89Legendary; 06-03-2014 at 10:20 AM.
89Legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

OEM clutch lasted 10 years, replaced on 4/18/1997 at 221,486 miles.

Replacement clutch is still in there 17 years later with ~215k miles on it.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

I always rev when I'm about to downshift. I don't like the feeling the car does after the clutch picks up without revving lol.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Legendary View Post
In order for a clutch to last as long as everyone claimed, it must be very well maintain such as optimum shifting point where engine have the least load, smooth clutch engagement, no high reving, no double clutching, burnouts or any sorts of abuses, no hauling, no downshift power brake or uphill climb. Beside all above average everday normal driving range between 4 to 6 years or 75k -100k. My used Exedy kit last 4 years 75k with all abuse above and track run too. I have not experience OEM clutch.
Actually, double clutching should increase the life of the clutch, though it might wear out the master and slave cylinders quicker.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
Acidic
Peace Sells

Acidic is on a distinguished road

Wow, after looking in this thread I made a dying clutch last til today when it burned out on me leaving work, luckily I didn't even roll out of the parking lot. Went from my parking spot to the one in front of me.

I was even going to bleed the clutch today cause there was no pedal to it on the way to work this AM.

Good thing I have use for the clutch on the shelf now.

Last edited by Acidic; 06-18-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Acidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

I am not nice to my clutch, but I'm also not a beast to it.

I engine brake
I jack-rabbit start
I use it to stay still waiting for lights on a hill

I get 100K or better out of them whether it's a civic, prelude, F150 or legend. I think my G1 (replaced clutch @ purchase) gave me about 100K before I sold the car and the buyer didn't have a problem in the 3 years he owned it.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote