AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > AcuraLegend.Org > New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Marcia

Marcia is on a distinguished road
Unhappy My Legend LS 1993 was totaled

Hi, I was a member here years ago and must have lost my sign in info so registered again.

My 1993 Legend was totaled at the fault of someone else. I'm only offered $1987 for it, never planned to sell it and was in wonderful shape. I want to get more, of course. Anyone else experience this? Thank you!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

I've seen quite a bit of this lately with totaled vehicles as there is a new "player" doing vehicle valuations. Would you be comfortable telling me which company has made you this offer? You can send the message via PM if you wish.

My suggestion to you as I have been doing with a number of clients and friends is that you go online (whatever sources you can ie Carsforsale.com, Autotrader, Craigslist etc.) and get as many comparisons (similar age condition and mileage) of your car that are currently listed for sale. Of course the higher the prices the more $$ negotiation you have. Then go back to the company hoping $1987 will appease you and counter offer them based on the prices you have found.

Keep us informed!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Marcia

Thank you. I have collected photos, etc. as you suggested. The company is Electric. The accident was not my fault yet it is my ins company that is who I seem to be dealing with. Shouldn't my company have my back? I've never sent a claim in 18 years. I've had my car much longer than that.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough
Default 1991 for $3000

Here's a 1991 being offered for $3000 in Chattanooga, TN:

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/c...693890424.html
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Hmm I see my message from hours ago apparently did NOT post.

You should be dealing with the other insurance company if you were not the at fault party. If it were me I would be investigating why not. Unless you are in a no fault state in my experience the reasons why you aren't dealing with the other insurance are because either the other company disputes being liability responsible OR the other party has no valid insurance in force. So time to do some investigating.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Marcia

Thank you. The ins person for totaled cars finally returned my phone calls and he just won't budge: people don't want 26 yr old cars, there aren't any out there to buy, etc. He did say to send him my list of other '93 cars on the market so I will do that. He didn't like my KKB and NADA prices either and said the ins co would probably offer me 1/2 his estimate. Maybe I should put my husband on the phone.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

Stick to your guns. Let them know they are neglecting to honor putting you at pre-loss condition which is basically the prime law of insurance. The reason they don't like using KBB and NADA anymore is because these other "valuation companies" are intentionally undercutting the tried, true and established companies that have been the industry standards for DECADES. I not only would include my spouse in the discussion but may be inclined to state you are likely to contact legal representation. They don't like hearing you mention that but they'll know you are serious. I would be VERY inclined to bring this to the attention of the other insurance company if their client was at fault. Had your car been some other type classic car that are sought after collectibles they probably wouldn't be as prone to try and get away with offering you pennies. Please tell me you are NOT dealing with Allstate. They are pretty much the worst company to have dealings. Another factor to know is that this claims representative earns bonuses for saving his company money. So it is in his personal interest to try and get you to accept the minimum amount from the people with whom he works. I don't understand the statement you said that he claimed the insurance company would only offer you HALF of his estimate. Doesn't he WORK for the insurance company? The estimate he is giving you is not coming from his own personal pocket. Had he said that to me I would have IMMEDIATELY asked for his supervisor. That may be the next person you should speak with if he continues to not be reasonable. Yes our cars don't have a ton of value or lots of available ones to buy but you still had an operating vehicle and transportation before the loss and now you don't. That is the condition you are trying to get back to afterward.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
Marcia

Thank you so much. My husband does plan to be the one to answer the phone WHEN the adjuster returns my call. I'll keep you posted.

I'd love to hear from owners that have been in my shoes.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

I don't know how many are still reading the forum but I've had this conversation with probably ten or more Legend owners in the last 3 - 4 years or so. Hopefully a couple will chime in. This situation happens with a number of older cars and since I'm an insurance agent I get asked about this a number of times. I'm usually most engaged though when it happens to a Legend.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
Hockeyman

Hockeyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Thank you so much. My husband does plan to be the one to answer the phone WHEN the adjuster returns my call. I'll keep you posted.

I'd love to hear from owners that have been in my shoes.
When my red coupe got hit on the passenger door + fender (easily repairable) the ins company totaled it, their original offer was 1500. I was able to get that increased to 3200 and I kept the car of course. I provided receipts and documentation for recent work on the car for the higher payout.
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote