AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Smootman

Smootman is on a distinguished road
Default Valve Cover Gasket Circular Plug

I'm replacing my valve cover gasket, again. Some gasket kits have a circular plug and some do not. What is the circular plug used for and has anyone installed them?
Smootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
stephen

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smootman View Post
I'm replacing my valve cover gasket, again. Some gasket kits have a circular plug and some do not. What is the circular plug used for and has anyone installed them?
The plug goes at the back of the camshaft for the back cylinder head. It might be possible to reuse the old one but it would be good to replace it.

I've installed the valve cover gaskets several times. Just remove the valve cover and swap the new one in. There are a few places to apply RTV and a few other parts may need to come out. There are also spark plug seals in the kit as I recall.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
stephen

Delete the comment about spark plug seals. I was thinking of second generation.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
stephen

The circular plug is also available separately from various parts sites such as rock auto and parts geek.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

I did the circular plug the last time I replaced the VC gaskets (~3 years ago). I'd recommend leaving it alone unless it's leaking. It's a PITA R&R-ing this thing with the engine in the chassis.

I had to remove the torque strut and angle a drill bit through a hole the mount to drill a hole in the plug in order to pry it out.

It's also a PITA getting the new one in the head - there's no room to tap it in with driver and hammer. In order to get it started into the hole, you need to get the plug past the molded "lip" on the end of the plug.

I ended up trimming off half the lip from the circumference of the plug and using black silicone to ensure it stayed put and sealed. Getting it into the bore required prying against the torque strut mount in order to press it into place.

Kind of explains why the plug that I removed didn't have a lip and was siliconed in place.

FWIW, I plug I used was Fel-Pro P/N CP75015
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
stephen

The part in question is part 7 in the following

https://estore.honda.com/acura/parts...&b=E++1001&dl=

I recall now that this part goes in before the cam bearing cap assembly. To install it on an assembled engine I believe it would be possible to loosen the cam bearing bolts and slip it in place though there should be RTV at the parting line between the caps and head at each end. One caution is that the cam cap bolts can get stuck and break while removing them. If it's not leaking there I would leave it alone.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post

I had to remove the torque strut and angle a drill bit through a hole the mount to drill a hole in the plug in order to pry it out.

It's also a PITA getting the new one in the head - there's no room to tap it in with driver and hammer. In order to get it started into the hole, you need to get the plug past the molded "lip" on the end of the plug.

I ended up trimming off half the lip from the circumference of the plug and using black silicone to ensure it stayed put and sealed. Getting it into the bore required prying against the torque strut mount in order to press it into place.

Technically you should loosen the rockers which allows you to tilt the backside up and remove the old/insert the new fairly easily. You should remember to clean the mating surface of the rocker holder and apply a film of HondaBond to keep from seeping.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #8
tiffanyneal

tiffanyneal is on a distinguished road

In any case thank you for helping me.
tiffanyneal is offline   Reply With Quote