AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation RL (Third Generation Legend) -- 1996 - 2004 > 1st Gen. RL General Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
MXHalofan
Type O Master

MXHalofan is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at RL's tomo.

I know Legends pretty well and love them, but I am needing a sedan for the GF and not wanting to be concerned with the head gaskets.

How are the 1st gen RL's as far as wear and tear at 200k miles? Anything not in common with Legends I should worry about? How do the trannys hold up? Thanks forum.

91 Coupe LS black on black
94/95 front bumper and rear deck lid
GS wheels
MXHalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Vipka9

Vipka9 is on a distinguished road

i havnt had my rl for that long but right now sitting near 160xxx miles and its running like a champ and i love it if your looking for a good looking car and a reliable one you found it, only problem that i know that isnt fixed is the starting issue but other then that if i forgot anything anyone can add on its a great car!!
Vipka9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Grumpy
GSM

Grumpy will become famous soon enough

They are extremely reliable cars. A couple of things I will caution you about:

Make sure the A/C is in top condition, a compressor replacement at the dealership will run you about a thou.

The factory immobilizer requires an already programmed key to be present to program others. Don't be stupid and lose your only key. They'll have to sell you a whole key set AND ANOTHER IMMOBILIZER BOX -$500+. Yep. Make sure you have at least two, or make it part of the sale.

The auto-tilt-steering wheels do go out, so make sure it moves smoothly through it's entire range with no clicking or catching, there is no 'repair' for this when it goes out and you have to replace the entire steering column...otherwise the wheel might be stuck in the full-up or some strange in-between position. You can avoid this issue by putting it where you want it, then flipping the auto-tilt switch off.

The wood interior panels are expensive! The center console and navi surround (just the wood) on my 04 was going to cost almost a grand new. Make sure the stuff is in a condition you want to live with...it's costly.

As with all LUXURY cars, there will always be the issue of LUXURY parts, labor, and problems...so while they don't have BHG issues like the G1 and G2 Legends, they're also much more sophisticated, so keep a chunk of change ready in case something happens.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
>>---------->
dedika8'd Member

>>----------> will become famous soon enough

Are you checking out the gold 97 rl? Looks good for the price

RIPFUT
>>----------> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
B+O
RIP Fut-diesel

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They are extremely reliable cars. A couple of things I will caution you about:

Make sure the A/C is in top condition, a compressor replacement at the dealership will run you about a thou.

The factory immobilizer requires an already programmed key to be present to program others. Don't be stupid and lose your only key. They'll have to sell you a whole key set AND ANOTHER IMMOBILIZER BOX -$500+. Yep. Make sure you have at least two, or make it part of the sale.

The auto-tilt-steering wheels do go out, so make sure it moves smoothly through it's entire range with no clicking or catching, there is no 'repair' for this when it goes out and you have to replace the entire steering column...otherwise the wheel might be stuck in the full-up or some strange in-between position. You can avoid this issue by putting it where you want it, then flipping the auto-tilt switch off.

The wood interior panels are expensive! The center console and navi surround (just the wood) on my 04 was going to cost almost a grand new. Make sure the stuff is in a condition you want to live with...it's costly.

As with all LUXURY cars, there will always be the issue of LUXURY parts, labor, and problems...so while they don't have BHG issues like the G1 and G2 Legends, they're also much more sophisticated, so keep a chunk of change ready in case something happens.

This is all really true...

Dennis/OLD_HATCH made a DIY on how to replace the gear in the steering column so that's something that you can take a look at if your gear is broken.

I developed a weird knock/rattle on milled pavement at about 155k, i don't know how it happened, it was almost over night. I haven't found it yet. The car's ultra reliable though. Just make sure you don't skimp on service because she WILL bite you back if you cheap out on parts.

I also wouldn't say that its impervious to bad headgaskets. the Legend just succumbed to old age like most cars. I've seen RLs with Coolant smoke following them around as well as oil smoke... It's just the name of the game with the C-series engine. They're just newer. We'll see how well they hold up, over time.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
othree

othree is on a distinguished road

Mine's got just over 175k on it. Bought it at 144k. It's been a great GREAT car and I have no issues driving it across the country or commuting. Just keep up the mnt'ce, flushes, and oil changes and she should treat you well for many years to come.
othree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
MXHalofan
Type O Master

Looked at one today. Loved the ergos of the car. This one had some tire wear on the outer lugs and need to get it to a shop to get checked out. Fella seemed way bummed that I wanted to get it checked out. Got another one to look at tomo. Thanks for the help fellas.

GS wheels
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
B+O
RIP Fut-diesel

B+O has a spectacular aura aboutB+O has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXHalofan View Post
Looked at one today. Loved the ergos of the car. This one had some tire wear on the outer lugs and need to get it to a shop to get checked out. Fella seemed way bummed that I wanted to get it checked out. Got another one to look at tomo. Thanks for the help fellas.
Tire wear on the outer lugs?

I noticed that my tires wear on the outside portion of the tread in the front.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
MXHalofan
Type O Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+O View Post
Tire wear on the outer lugs?

I noticed that my tires wear on the outside portion of the tread in the front.
Does your steering wheel feel a little twitchy at around 20-30 mph? This car did. Felt sorta like bad lower ball joints, but it could have just been the tires. Seller had aftermarket wheels with slightly lower offset. I'm going to wonder about this until I figure it out.

GS wheels
Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Grumpy
GSM

Grumpy will become famous soon enough

No. The car should be totally smooth.