AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
LegenDinTheMaKing

LegenDinTheMaKing is on a distinguished road
Default Going from 5speed to Automatic (Questions!) HELP!

...Ok heres what happened. I crashed my 91 sedan back in June. I'm getting rid of the car and holding on to my engine and tranny. I got hold of a frame that was a manual car and I am currently in the process of putting my engine and tranny into it, that is once I take out the engine and tranny that was in it when I got it.

My question is....Once I drop in my engine and automatic tranny will I need to do any rewiring? the cluster doesn't appear to have the PRD12 readings on it...will I need to swap that out as well? do I need to take apart my entire dashboard and change the Wire Harness????? Im hoping I don't have to.

Please help!
LegenDinTheMaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
exo18
exo 18

exo18 is on a distinguished road

Damn dude just get a 5spd
exo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
LegenDinTheMaKing

I'm holding on to my automatic type II engine and tranny. The engine and manual 5speed tranny thats in the car right now is coming out. Thats why I want to know if I need to make and changes as far as wiring.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Canadian144

Canadian144 will become famous soon enough

It will be a LOT of work man. Hate to say it but probably not worth it. The transmission tunnel is different - so one thing is that you will have to drill new holes for the mounts.

There is one large wire that comes off of the tranny and gets plugged in right in front of the driver (in the engine bay), the 5 speed car won't have the plug necessary to to plug this wire in.

Finally.... in a 5 speed car, you can't plug an Auto ECU in. There is no blue plug coming out of the harness to plug into the ECU.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
LegenDinTheMaKing

Well...not exactly what I wanted to hear but I did expect this to be a lot of work already. I have both the automatic and the manual cars. It looks like we are just going to have to move over all the wiring from the current car so that it can plug in properly into the ECU.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
pjslegend
The Carbon Fiber Guy

pjslegend is on a distinguished road

I would just try and find a 5 or 6 speed tranny. It will be more cost and time effective. I may have 5 spd available in the next couple of months after I put the 6 spd in.

Looking for custom carbon fiber parts, check it out!
www.c6innovationsinc.com
pjslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
ari_one
MeltingInTheSun

ari_one will become famous soon enough

Is there something wrong with the manual tranny in your new vehicle? If not why not just swap the engines and leave the tranny alone? Keep your type II auto for a backup.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
LegenDinTheMaKing

The reason Im not keeping the 5speed tranny and the engine it came with is because they weren't part of the deal. The deal was to get me a shell so that I can put my type II engine and tranny in. the 5speed transmission isn't mine in other words.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Artillery129

Artillery129 will become famous soon enoughArtillery129 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegenDinTheMaKing View Post
The reason Im not keeping the 5speed tranny and the engine it came with is because they weren't part of the deal. The deal was to get me a shell so that I can put my type II engine and tranny in. the 5speed transmission isn't mine in other words.
what kind of ghetto ass deal is this? why don't you throw the guy another 200$ for the transmission and motor?
Artillery129 is offline   Reply With Quote