AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > DIY > Second Generation Legend (1991 - 1995)

Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
91LSplendid
Oct.'07 Posts: 1,750

91LSplendid is on a distinguished road
Default Iggee Seat Cover Mod-visible seat controls w/o removing the seat

taken from .com

A few weeks back I installed the beige Iggee Seat Covers in my 91 sedan with Type F interior. The color match was good enough that I did not use the headrest covers. Also, I gave some hints on a previous post for the normal installation of these covers - specifically an alternate way to make the holes for the headrest by carefully using a drill...see... http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ighlight=iggee ...Also, see the 2nd picture in this post-the headrest holes look nice and clean.

I have been very happy with these seat covers, except that they covered the controls. Even though the controls are useable through the fabric with the standard installation, the seat base looked awkward and very bulky. After a few weeks it got under my skin.

I needed to find out how to remove the plastic covers at the bottom of the seat. I found directions for Front Seat Replacement at http://www.arnach.net/service/index....=805&z=2690&r=

Note - I skipped steps 1 & 2 on these Front Seat Replacement directions, but used steps 3, 4 & 5 to perform the seat control modification.

Below I will detail the steps. NOTE - You DO NOT have to remove your seats to install these seat covers or to do these modifications.

Here is a picture of the ripped seat just for before and after comparisons

Step 1 - Install the seat covers per the standard directions from Iggee, but using the headrest mod I suggested above. I would suggest having these covers installed the standard way for a few days/weeks before doing the seat control modifications. This way you can make sure everything is in its final position before making these modifications.

Close up picture of my issue - the bulky looking, no visible controls seat base

Step 2 - Unclip a few of the straps from the seat cover so you can lift up the needed area

Step 3 - Remove the plastic seat base front cover by removing the 2 philips head screws that are on the underside of the front edge of the seat - you will need one of those very short philips head screwdrivers. Then remove the front screw of the reclining cover and pull it towards you.

Step 4 - Pull the two switch knobs off carefully and remove the knob trim panel by sliding it forward and then pulling it out....no picture, but the front seat replacement directions discussed above sort of show you.

Step 5 - Reinstall the seat cover tensioning straps between the seat and the reclining cover. Return your seat to your normal driving position (memory position), then make sure everything is in place, then reinstall the screw for the reclining cover and then reinstall the plastic front cover and screw it in (all screws will go through the fabric of the seat cover so make sure the seat cover is properly in place)

Step 6 - Verify once again the seat cover is in place and then place the knob trim panel over the knob "studs" to get placement. Push hard to make marks in the fabric for the next step.

Step 7 - using sharp scissors CAREFULLY cut out the 4 holes for the trim panel, as well as the knob studs. DO NOT MAKE THE HOLES TOO BIG. Make sure the holes will stay out of sight behind the trim panel. Start small...you can always make them bigger...you can not make them smaller!

Step 8 - Reinstall the Trim Panel & Knobs. The trim panel is a little tricky to get back on. You need to push it in and towards the back of the seat. You should feel a slight click. You are done!

Gallery #1 & #2
7 Spoke Rims 4 Sale: Silver & Machined
91LSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
91LSplendid
Oct.'07 Posts: 1,750

91LSplendid is on a distinguished road

Bump because some members have asked about the modification in another thread.

Gallery #1 & #2
7 Spoke Rims 4 Sale: Silver & Machined
91LSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
brysta

nice - I am thinking about getting some of those Iggee seat covers for my 89.
brysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
AGYMAH
Ah-Gee-Mah

AGYMAH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysta View Post
nice - I am thinking about getting some of those Iggee seat covers for my 89.
Those are the best seat covers ive ever purchased. I have some on my 89 coupe and 91 Sedan.

"You all live your pitiful lives following a set of rules to a game that does not exist"....
AGYMAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Wayne-A-Ferd
The Slow Cruiser

Wayne-A-Ferd is on a distinguished road

Where can we buy the seat covers? Ive searched google but came up empty..
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
BklynSoulja

BklynSoulja is on a distinguished road

http://www.iggee.com/
<a href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/sigqzb.jpg/ target=_blank><a href=http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5751/sigqzb.jpg target=_blank>http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5751/sigqzb.jpg</a></a>
BklynSoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Wayne-A-Ferd
The Slow Cruiser

Wayne-A-Ferd is on a distinguished road

Haha.. Thank bro