AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Second Generation Legend -- 1991 - 1995 > 2nd Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
matt1995

matt1995 is on a distinguished road
Default Egr delete questions/need help

Hey guys I was wondering how to do a egr delete, im not sure what to block off and exactly what to remove, and what will/can the advantages and disadvantages and if its actually worth doing, Thanks guys all help is muchly appreciated
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
CRiSS

CRiSS is on a distinguished road

read the thread in the gen. discusion area about "why legend gaskets blow,and how to prevent it"...the professor explains everything!!
CRiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Gothche

Gothche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1995 View Post
Hey guys I was wondering how to do a egr delete, im not sure what to block off and exactly what to remove, and what will/can the advantages and disadvantages and if its actually worth doing, Thanks guys all help is muchly appreciated
Have your egr valve lift sensor blocked with a plate and have the egr ignition and fuel maps modified to be the same as the normal maps. I did this to my own ecu and the result has been perfect. No disadvantage as long as you level the egr maps to the normal levels. Matt can explain all the details for you and he will probably be able to offer this service for you.
Gothche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1995 View Post
You will get no advantages, and all of the disadvantages. As said, read through this thread for an in-depth explanation of why an operational EGR is essential: http://forums.acuralegend.org/why-le...ts-t18630.html

The EGR can be safely disabled, but it is not something you can easily do yourself (or even a have "professional" mechanic do), it will require a chipped and tuned ECU from Matt/sr5guy.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Gothche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
You will get no advantages, and all of the disadvantages. As said, read through this thread for an in-depth explanation of why an operational EGR is essential: http://forums.acuralegend.org/why-le...ts-t18630.html

The EGR can be safely disabled, but it is not something you can easily do yourself (or even a have "professional" mechanic do), it will require a chipped and tuned ECU from Matt/sr5guy.
You can do it yourself if you can find the maps in hex form or find the old definition files for tunerpro and use tunerpro. I did it myself.
Ofcourse if wanting an easy solution and be sure that the job is done right and with quality have Matt do it.
Just gotta say, I did it myself and it was pretty easy. Except getting the checksum right...
Just have Matt do it, it will be too much trouble for you, the other way.

Last edited by Gothche; 10-12-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothche View Post
You can do it yourself if you can find the maps in hex form or find the old definition files for tunerpro and use tunerpro. I did it myself.
Ofcourse if wanting an easy solution and be sure that the job is done right and with quality have Matt do it.
Just gotta say, I did it myself and it was pretty easy.
You did it yourself after begging Matt to send you the required files and information. Besides, you would describe this as "easy" to just anyone? Desolder your stock chip. Purchase a chip reader. Read the data from the chip. Modify the bin (if you know how and what, and there are a total of perhaps 3-4 people that actually do). Solder a socket to the ECU. Burn a new chip with the new bin. Put it in the socket. Reinstall.
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
antik
I blame the M3.

antik will become famous soon enoughantik will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This.

I'd rep but can't.

'95 Auto L Sedan [SOLD]
ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | HAWK | ATE

antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Gothche

Quote:
You did it yourself after begging Matt to send you the required files and information. Besides, you would describe this as "easy" to just anyone? Desolder your stock chip. Purchase a chip reader. Read the data from the chip. Modify the bin (if you know how and what, and there are a total of perhaps 3-4 people that actually do). Solder a socket to the ECU. Burn a new chip with the new bin. Put it in the socket. Reinstall.
Yes I got a stage 2 bin from Matt to have my car take advantage of using octane 99, but there was no egr deletion in the bin. I did this myself. Also matt explained which maps were for egr operation in the egr discussion thread he started. To desolder/solder, read and burn the chip wasn't hard, it was expensive.
Because I had a discussion with Matt 1 year ago, does that mean no one else can read the thread and learn?
From Matt I got a bin file, a socket and a chip for burning, but I ended up using a different chip I could reburn as many times I wanted.
I say that Matt is the man to use if you want a quality job done, but if it is just to delete egr operation and block the egr valve, then it's possible to do yourself.
There is a legend compatible def file on the net somewhere for download. You can only use it for the egr maps deletion nothing else. You will need to solve the checksum yourself after modifying the maps or you'll have a cel. The checksum solution wasn't given to me by Matt.

Edit: last but not least, I'm not saying he should do this himself, just that it's possible.
Matt has my greatest respect, so no bad intentions.

Last edited by Gothche; 10-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
hustlav6
Banned

hustlav6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spare your air, some people would never change
hustlav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Gothche

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlav6 View Post
spare your air, some people would never change
Haha!
Exactly Hustlav6, some people never learn.
Take care buddy, enjoy your ignorance.