AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > General DIY Discussions > The Projects > Non-Legend Builds

Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Five cans of brake parts cleaner (5!!) later, and I've got the engine bay maybe a third of the way to clean... I wish I had a high-pressure steam cleaner. Those can work miracles, but I don't know of anyone in my area that rents them, and all of the models that are readily available to purchase are cheap low pressure units for light household work, or they're only for carpets.

Anyway, here's the result of 5 cans of Autozone brand brake cleaner. Compare this to the first picture with the engine out, paying attention to the steering rack and the frame.

It appears that I didn't get a picture of this area before cleaning, this is where the condenser and radiator sit, it was filled with dirt and grease about a 1/4" thick. You can sort of see it in one of the pictures in a post above.

I'm going to need to move the car and clean up the garage floor now also. A couple more cans to get the really heavy build-up off, then I can start with the light-duty cleaners and finally paint prep. I'm just going to go gloss black, because color matching the exterior will be too expensive (for now) and it will be easy to match when I paint other random parts down the road. If I become a millionaire in the future, I'll rebuild the whole thing from the frame up and powder coat it... But for now, rattle-can black. Probably VHT caliper paint or something like that.

There isn't any more to do after that, until I find the engine to put in it. I may end up looking for a wrecked but running Grand Prix or Regal. There are so many required parts that aren't generally included with a used engine, it may be cheaper than buying them all separately. Plus I'll know the general running condition of the engine beforehand.

If finding the engine and other parts ends up taking too long I'll start work on the brakes and suspension, plus I have a few ideas to spruce up the interior. The interior is in good shape, excluding the steering wheel and dashboard cover. Both are easily recovered with leather, and I know a guy for that job. He had already done the center console armrest for me, $40 with new leather and padding and it came out looking perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LegendaryAcuraGS View Post
Going to do a custom ground wire kit for it?
Of course! I'll be doing at least custom battery cables to start with, and I may need to do a full battery relocation if I decide to get a FWI (Fender-Well Intake, what the w-body nerds would call our CAI).
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Now you just have to decide what color wiring and nylon braiding you want for your car. Have fun I know that was a tough call for me. I think I chose wisely!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LegendaryAcuraGS View Post
Now you just have to decide what color wiring and nylon braiding you want for your car. Have fun I know that was a tough call for me. I think I chose wisely!
You think it was a tough call then, there are three times the options now . I'm already decided though, black Fleks and Carbon braid. I may actually do some real carbon fiber braids, too. It will depend on how much of the wiring harness is visible. I'd like it hidden as much as possible, and I'll have whatever is visible wrapped up nicely.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Well I had to decide what would look good on my wire that is long discontinued but I had plenty of it hanging around I might as well have used it. Glad I won't have to do the other 50 options decision now though.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
Stu
hello ladies !

Stu will become famous soon enough

Quaraxkad, really ?
After seeing this 92 Olds Cutlass, all I could think is why bother.

With so many other cars out there needing less work, I think you should have let this Olds die .... that is what the manufacturer did !

Have fun with it. I do hope when its done you feel it was worth the effort.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Ouch...

Many people today will say the same thing about Legends. They're old. They're slow. 99% of them are in dreadful condition. They're expensive to maintain. They get horrid gas mileage. Why bother?

We all have our reasons for being draw to certain cars. I am actually very picky about the cars I like. This one in particular (not just any old Cutlass, this Cutlass) is one that I do.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
Stu
hello ladies !

Stu will become famous soon enough

Sorry if my post stung a bit, I just a quite shocked to see a smart guy like you make this call, but .... if you like this Cutlass, then go for it ! I am sure when you're done with it, it will be a nice ride.

Your Legend analogy is very accurate, and that's why, as much as I really liked the car, I sold it. I briefly considered getting my Legend completely restored, ( it really didn't need that much work ) but never found a local shop that I trusted would do a good enough job.

Being able to do the work yourself will keep the cost reasonable, be more fun, and you'll have control over the end result,
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #38
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Back to work!!!

After cleaning up the engine bay a bit more after the pictures in my last update, I started painting. I wasn't too concerned about the appearance so I went easy on the prep work. I used black DupliColor glossy high temp engine enamel, and I was not at all pleased with the results. After seeing those results, I took a long break. I was either going to strip the whole thing and do it right or give up. The option I chose was somewhere in between. I won't be posting those photos, they're just shameful...

Now we're back to present day (about a week ago)... I scuffed up the entire engine bay with sandpaper and re-sprayed with high heat Rustoleum Flat Black. I really should have done a better job cleaning, I've always been one to skimp on the prep work. If the car wasn't inside my garage I would have pressure washed it. But still the results were immediately and infinitely better than before with gloss black, I was quite pleased. Here are some before and afters:

Before:

After:

I also removed the subframe, cleaned it up, and sprayed it with Rustoleum truck bed liner. I figured it would be a bit more durable than regular paint.

Before:

After (not bolted up, just resting on my custom "subframe dolly"):

Now that I was much more satisfied with the paint situation, I renewed my search for an engine. I went to the junkyard today and by some miracle, found exactly what I need. It looks like it's been practically untouched. It was the only L67 in the yard, amid a sea of less desirable N/A 3800s. It was late, no time to pull it today so I had to leave empty handed .

The donor (2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP):

It has over 200K miles on it, the body looks fine so I'm going to assume it's in the junkyard because it's got engine or transmission issues. I'll maybe do a mini-rebuild on it, or try to get it installed and make sure it runs within 30 days so I can return it under warranty if needed. I'm going back to the JY tomorrow with help and a truck, and will hopefully be coming home with an Eaton M90 Supercharged 3800 V6 and 4T65E-HD, plus misc bits and pieces. I'll be happy once I have those main parts, but then I've got a bunch of other things to find, like the wiring harness, radiator and fans, power steering lines, etc, which all need to come from different vehicles. Can't wait to get started tomorrow!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #39
rwheadon
S*L*O*W

rwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the roughrwheadon is a jewel in the rough

Woot! Movin' right along.

rich

* Your smoking 3.2 engine is probably ok... replace your valve guide seals before condemning it!
rwheadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
Homeboyx
Pimp Hand Strong

Homeboyx has a spectacular aura aboutHomeboyx has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Homeboyx Send a message via Yahoo to Homeboyx

I'm curious to know what that enamel looked.. Black definitely looks good though.

RIP Fut
"A Legend Never Dies..." -Yours Truly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
When something is so obviously wrong and draws your attention this strongly, you should look around to see what it's drawing attention away from.
Homeboyx is offline   Reply With Quote