AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > AcuraLegend.Org > New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
metaforest
Legend-ary Newb

metaforest is on a distinguished road
Talking New owner of a 1991(93?) KA7

Well, after closing the buy on a KA7 I find I am in a new class of fun for old cars. Glad I stumbled into this forum, as I am probably going to need the wisdom recorded here to make the most of my meager investment.

After driving the car home I think I qualify as 'looking to replace a head gasket soon.' It has all the symptoms of a SHG. The rest of the car is in really good shape, so I'm hopeful I can limp it through the winter, and get this fine car back to a reasonable operational state. The previous owner did me the favor of replacing the radiator and upper hose. I'm planning to pull the thermostat out post-haste for now to avoid overheating the engine due to delayed thermostat opening due to exhaust gas being trapped behind it.

I knew going into this purchase that it would need some TCL but so far the only intimidating service it needs is the aforementioned head gasket(s).

I've a long history of buying into cars that run just long enough to make the investment worth it... Most successfully with a 1984 Plymouth voyager, with a blown head gasket, that I managed to keep running for 7 years without replacing the gasket... (wiser heads advised that doing so was a waste of money, as the rings and valve seats were shot as well.)

Hopefully this KA7 will be a more interesting and offer me a lot more tinkering fun...

Well met all!

Glad to have found this place!

metaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
living_legend
Neck Breaker

living_legend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaforest View Post
Well, after closing the buy on a KA7 I find I am in a new class of fun for old cars. Glad I stumbled into this forum, as I am probably going to need the wisdom recorded here to make the most of my meager investment.

After driving the car home I think I qualify as 'looking to replace a head gasket soon.' It has all the symptoms of a SHG. The rest of the car is in really good shape, so I'm hopeful I can limp it through the winter, and get this fine car back to a reasonable operational state. The previous owner did me the favor of replacing the radiator and upper hose. I'm planning to pull the thermostat out post-haste for now to avoid overheating the engine due to delayed thermostat opening due to exhaust gas being trapped behind it.

I knew going into this purchase that it would need some TCL but so far the only intimidating service it needs is the aforementioned head gasket(s).

I've a long history of buying into cars that run just long enough to make the investment worth it... Most successfully with a 1984 Plymouth voyager, with a blown head gasket, that I managed to keep running for 7 years without replacing the gasket... (wiser heads advised that doing so was a waste of money, as the rings and valve seats were shot as well.)

Hopefully this KA7 will be a more interesting and offer me a lot more tinkering fun...

Well met all!

Glad to have found this place!

Glad to hear your interested in being part of the group/community. Just remember that Search tab towards the top right of the page is your best friend.
Enjoy

The Build
The Pictures
living_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the fam!

There will shortly be requests for pics of your car I'm sure!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Yes need some pics!
Welcome to the forum- glad to see you are keeping another legend on the road. Hopefully she treats you well
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Tyson
Road Trip King

Tyson will become famous soon enoughTyson will become famous soon enough

Congrats and welcome!

Thanks Alex for the sig!
http://drivetofive.wordpress.com
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
The-Teej

The-Teej is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard!! That SHG can turn into BHG quickly, be wiser to look into fixing sooner rather than later!!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
daveCFPrez
54102-SP0-A00

daveCFPrez has a spectacular aura aboutdaveCFPrez has a spectacular aura about

Where in WA did you buy your KA7? Welcome!

"I find quite often that the "offer I can't refuse" is pretty easy to refuse." rwheadon

Trying to sell something that is in "mint" condition? Please read here: http://forums.acuralegend.org/showpo...39&postcount=1
daveCFPrez is offline   Reply With Quote