AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Marketplace > Group Buys

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
The Crowing

The Crowing will become famous soon enoughThe Crowing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing Send a message via Skype™ to The Crowing
Default GB: Crowing Stainless Steel Clutch Line ROUND 2

Alright, here's your chance to get one if you missed out last time!

It's official. I talked with the shop manager, and here's what I've got for you people:

If ten people buy in, he will do a complete line, fittings, construction, and all for [See edit below]

The final pricing is as follows:

Line price, after discount: $36.89
Price of the cushion mailer I will use to send it: $1.09
Flat rate shipping charge: $4.95
A little fee I'm adding just to cover my running about: $1.00
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $43.93

With a 3% paypal fee, that comes to $45.25.

EDIT: I have since learned that in addition to 3%, PayPal also adds a flat $.30 to each transaction. I ate it last round, and it confused the heck out of me how I lost $3.30, and I'll eat it this round, but I've since learned! Round 3 (if it happens) will be priced at $45.55 via PayPal, however. /EDIT

I accept PayPal, Money Order, and Personal Check. If you send a Money Order or a Personal Check, you will not be marked as paid until I have the cash in my hand, or the check clears, respectively. If you wish to send me either of the latter two, PM me and I will give you an address to send it to. LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

The catch: We have to all agree on a color. The choices are Red, Blue, Green, Smoke (opaque Black), and Non-Colored (Regular Braided look).

In the process of creating these, I have made two lines, which I fondly named Prote (as in Prototype), which is in my car now, and Beta, which is in Alperovich's car. Here are pictures of Prote:

Prote, as you can see, is immensely long. I wanted it as such for two reasons: I had never made one before, and felt it was better to be too long than too short. Two, I was hoping to find a way to incorporate it into my engine bay shaving. I failed, if you must know. Prote is 8 feet long, made of a solid fitting at the slave end, and a swivel fitting at the master end.

Alperovich's line, Beta, is the same as Prote, but in smoke, and two feet shorter.

Here is Jen's line, in green. This is the final version of the line, and what you would be getting. It is 4.5 feet long, and has a swivel nut at both ends, for easier installation. You will have to bend the ends yourself to make them fit. It's not hard, if you're careful and use a guide like a small pipe.

NOTE: your line will not come with master and slave cylinders.

Now, the issue: color. I'm not going to take any payments yet. In the poll with this thread, vote for the color you most want. Winner is the winner, and that's what color the lines will be. It's the only fair way I can think to do it. So, just post if you're going to buy one, and vote for your color choice. Any questions, just post here or PM me.

I will talk to the manager and see if we can do multiple colors. Post your color choice in this thread.

**Subject to change. I will try to lower this as much as possible.

If you want un-colored, and it ends up being a colored line, all you have to do is use a razor and you can cut the color tubing off.

To answer a few questions about the benefits/reasons for doing this:
The stock lines have numerous connection points, and rubber hoses. After 14 to 19 years, these all pose a large risk of deterioration and leaking. A new, one piece, SS line has connection points only at each end, and it's brand spankin' new.

Also, the stock lines have something called a "Clutch Dampener" or "Damper". The purpose of the Damper is to actually cushion, or slow the fluid flow, allowing a softer, but delayed, engagement of the clutch. It's kind of a "people don't know how to drive, so we'll make the car easier to drive" device. My line eliminates this piece, and gives you a more "connected" feel to the engagement of the clutch. The only downside to this, is for those (DV8, emaculate, etc...) who have Stage III+ clutches. This is only speculation, but if you were to have such a clutch, then switch to a non-damper line, you might have to "re-learn" how to drive your car. I predict the engagement may become just a touch more "on-off"-ish, if that makes sense.

Last edited by The Crowing; 10-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
The Crowing

The Crowing will become famous soon enoughThe Crowing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing Send a message via Skype™ to The Crowing

Reserved for list.

1) swift (Green) PAID
2) akmopowr (Un-Colored) PAID
3) Jonslegend (Un-Colored) PAID
4) Stella (Red) PAID
5) MasTeR.LeGenD (Un-Colred) PAID
6) FF Drifter (Smoke or Green) PAID
7) LegendCanada (Red) PAID
8) Antares (Red) PAID
9) crew6 (Smoke x 2) PAID

Last edited by The Crowing; 11-07-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Jonslegend
Ive Got 2nd Gear!!!!

Jonslegend will become famous soon enough

i needs a silver one.

It's not Gold, It's Cashmere
Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
The Crowing

Added!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

Sr5guy is in. Red.

I installed one today on a customers car. I was surprised. Looks like a great quality piece!

It's more difficult removing the the old line than installing the new one!

Installation tips: Its almost impossible to get the line off the slave with the slave mounted to the transmission - especially with pre-cats on the type II's. So, separate it on the other end (line to hose) at the back of motor hook. Then, remove the slave cylinder from the side of the transmission with the stock line intact. Put the slave in a vice and remove the stock line. Run the stainless line down the side of the transmission leaving lots of slack and install the line in the slave and tighten. Re-install the slave on the side of the transmission and finish routing the line.

The line is soft enough to bend gently with your hands. Bend the slave cylinder end toward the transmission and secure with zip ties to prevent it from touching the exhaust.

-Matt

Last edited by sr5guy; 08-21-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
The Crowing

Thanks for the vouch, and the info Matt! Added!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
tofusensei
legend enthusiast

tofusensei is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tofusensei Send a message via MSN to tofusensei

do you have to get ten buyers, or can we buy these at a regular price and get sent out ASAP?

~t.s.

parts for sale
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
The Crowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofusensei View Post
do you have to get ten buyers, or can we buy these at a regular price and get sent out ASAP?

~t.s.
I can get one made at the non-discounted price, yes.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
tofusensei
legend enthusiast

tofusensei is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tofusensei Send a message via MSN to tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crowing View Post
I can get one made at the non-discounted price, yes.
sweet, now how much would that be though?

parts for sale
Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
The Crowing

About $50 plus shipping.
Closed Thread