AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 AM   #21
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Did you hit that raised sewer line cover with your oil pan/ undercarriage? Kind of cryptic posts.......
Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #22
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Legend to Grave is on a distinguished road

The short of it?

We stopped counting at about $6,200 which includes replacement of both airbags….

Probably about $1,800 to repair other damage (windshield and front end), excluding the air bags.

Here’s a close up of the windshield damage due to dashboard airbag deployment:

Here’s the sedan parked in the back of my local shop.

^^ Alan – note the front license plate bracket…..

The car is still looking good over-all.

There was a debate years ago about the longevity of the airbag system in wait for some action. Our sedan’s SRS successfully springs into action after 23 years.

A sampling of the front end damages:

Yeah, hat’s off to you asshole:

OK so you know there's a story to this and and a number of issues that requires some sort of sense of humor.

Our son "scolded" me that I knew I was signing the sedan's death warrant in letting his sister driving it liberally, but within reason ever since she obtained her driver's license at 17 (she's now 21). Our car is not the only vehicle that has been damaged in the spot but it is a testament to its high quality that it seems our car does have the ability to survive it.

I get a call from our lovely daughter ("on the way to buy flowers for mom") in a panic to come over asap she's had a problem with the car. The roadway runs right behind a high school and has a 25 mph speed limit. I get there and at the same time as I saw the flatbed driver Pete (I know from town) I also notice all the transmission fluid on the road bed, Pete says to me that it seems this was "it" for the sedan "...unless it's just the hose"... Pete advised me he'll take the car to our shop where he knows I won't get charted storage. I followed to get a closer look at the car since it was already on the flat bed when I arrived.

FYI - no one was hurt.

That's Sunday. Monday on way home from work drive past the mechanic shop to incident location to take additional photos, I note that the sedan is up on one of the lifts in the garage.

I stop in talk about what happened and one of the guys points a finger to a Fiat 500 in the back yard. It was totaled from the same manhole road milled combo with its transmission completely destroyed the night before our sedan was knocked out. The sedan just needed to reconnect the hose and refill with transmission fluid to drive it to the lift bay. I was asked to give my tel# and did so and we've been exchanging information. I've already been to town hall getting the police report, asking advise, and have since been talking to the borough administrator. I will be following up with a letter and documentation to see about a settlement.

Of course, no safety cone when our daughter approached the town border and it's milled roadway repaving project of the next town over. Funny, as she was waiting with the cops and the flat bed operator, I pulled up in my coupe and got out to inspect it all, the cops raising their eyebrows and a comment or 2 about me must liking Legends.... She told me the cops put the cone on the manhole and then she watched some asshole walking a dog pick up the cone and put it on the side of the road and the cops just casually put the cone back....

'93 Legend Sedan - Original Owner
"Me" and "Mini Me"
Legend to Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #23
LowPSI

LowPSI will become famous soon enough

My wife had a similar incident with our van a few years ago. Punctured the transmission pan on an unmarked raised manhole. The contractor the city hired to do the job paid for all repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #24
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Looks like time to go Legend shopping ( or Civic shopping for your daughter).
Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #25
Captain Slow
Ken

Captain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Slow has a spectacular aura about

That's a crazy thing to have happen. Sorry to hear it.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Legend View Post
Oh no. Could that street repaving project have something to do with the sedan not being in it's usual parking spot? Could a raised structure or the pavement bump have caused a problem? You have not stated you are looking for repair parts - that's a bad sign.
Born under a bad sign....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
My wife had a similar incident with our van a few years ago. Punctured the transmission pan on an unmarked raised manhole. The contractor the city hired to do the job paid for all repairs.
At first I thought the paving contractor would indemnify the town with the work contract but I was a bit relieved after speaking with borough admin and I'm trying to get my claim docs all together tonight. They'll just submit it to their insurer and I'm just able to hope for the best for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Looks like time to go Legend shopping ( or Civic shopping for your daughter).
Hmmmmm.... Thoughts have been passing through my mind minus the Civic shopping for our daughter. Now that the sedan's air bags are kaput I'm not having the kind of thoughts that feel 100% OK with another resurrection for a car without air bags considering who may be driving it. Having the third car is a great convenience when trading off vehicles for service or repairs etc. Now, having that "new" third car gives me pause since we'll be asked for the keys to borrow the car.... She'll be moving back to Brooklyn for the fall semester after taking off from school to work in Manhattan in her chosen field. Eventually this phase of our lives will be an "experience"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
That's a crazy thing to have happen. Sorry to hear it.
Yeah - thanks. I've been pretty cool but connected and my wife and I have been wrestling with the option to keep the sedan going.

"Me" and "Mini Me"
Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #27
ActionJackson
Legends to go,please

Eric, hate to tell you, but that Legend is ready for the grave. You can buy totally rust free auto sedan Legends with 100-150k miles on them for $2,000 -$3,000 in Florida all day long. Treat your self to a nice Legend with whatever settlement you get.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
MarcD
Low mileage nutso

MarcD is on a distinguished road

Yeah sorry to see and hear about your sedan Eric and the manhole that has given it a death blow. Hope you can get some sort settlement.
Agree with Alan and maybe you can find a low mileage sedan to take its place.
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #29
Legend to Grave
Love that ride!

Alan, see your comment "...Looks like time to go Legend shopping ( or Civic shopping for your daughter)..." then my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend to Grave View Post
Hmmmmm.... Thoughts have been passing through my mind minus the Civic shopping for our daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Eric, hate to tell you, but that Legend is ready for the grave. You can buy totally rust free auto sedan Legends with 100-150k miles on them for $2,000 -$3,000 in Florida all day long. Treat your self to a nice Legend with whatever settlement you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
Yeah sorry to see and hear about your sedan Eric and the manhole that has given it a death blow. Hope you can get some sort settlement.
Agree with Alan and maybe you can find a low mileage sedan to take its place.
See my quote. One of the first thoughts I had. Could be time for a "Legend to Grave"......

Marc - waiting to see how the meet comes in for a landing - hope we can get it together. Thanks for your thoughts

"Me" and "Mini Me"

Last edited by Legend to Grave; 05-18-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 AM   #30
CT-Legend

CT-Legend is on a distinguished road

Eric - Alan & Marc's advice is on target. Get a nice replacement sedan from a rust free climate - maybe it can be Canterbury Green too! It may take a little time to find the "right" one, but they are out there.
CT-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote