AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
kotetu
Never compromise.

kotetu will become famous soon enoughkotetu will become famous soon enough
Default automakers lobbying to ban Sr5Guy

Sorry if this is a dup. Automakers are lobbying congress to make it illegal to modify (chip/reprogram) your ecus.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...ors_picks=true

Quote:
Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

Every three years, the office holds hearings on whether certain activities should be exempt from the DMCA's section 1201, which governs technological measures that protect copyrighted work. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for individual rights in the digital world, has asked the office to ensure that enthusiasts can continue working on cars by providing exemptions that would give them the right to access necessary car components.

Interested parties have until the end of the month to file comments on the proposed rule making, and a final decision is expected by mid-year.

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
Espada

Espada is on a distinguished road

I'm sure most of us driving older models will be "grandfathered" in, I mean it is what would make sense to me. Newer models that drive, stop, and steer by wire(in any combination) does make some sense for safety and possible liability issues. Even manufacturers have had many troubles with their engineered by wire systems (ie Toyota brake and throttle issues recalls). Hopefully the legislature will be comprehensive and not just passed to line the pockets of auto manufacturers and dealerships.
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
kotetu
Never compromise.

No Espada it makes no sense to ban it. I say let nature take it's course, and if an idiot wants to reprogram his brakes or steering, let him, but the automaker loses all liability - the idiot will own such actions, and their consequences.

I also believe in taking the safety labels off of most products and letting life sort itself out.
Checks and balances no longer work. We need a return to fundamentals. We need to trim the fat and get back to a true Constitutional Republic, and that's why I'm with Rorschach. Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
ThirstyTree

ThirstyTree is on a distinguished road

This might have a lot to do with flex fuel conversions that are out and becoming more popular. More smoke from our government at big oils prodding. Let them pass another unenforceable law, it just builds more contempt for "justice".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
while doing 90 down a residential street
Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Quaraxkad
Moderator?

Quaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of lightQuaraxkad is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Quaraxkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
if an idiot wants to reprogram his brakes or steering, let him, but the automaker loses all liability - the idiot will own such actions, and their consequences.
And as a result of their stupidity, also kill a bus full of children...
Quaraxkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Qs91Coupe

Qs91Coupe is on a distinguished road

I better hurry and get my spare ecu chipped.

Check out my 4 sale thread:Click here!!
Qs91Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

Soon I will have both of my Legends chipped.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I read this last night, this has to be one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard of.
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
kotetu
Never compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
And as a result of their stupidity, also kill a bus full of children...
Banning it doesn't mean they won't do it right? like drunk driving.

More government isn't the solution. To anything.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
sr5guy
Troll Hunter

sr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to allsr5guy is a name known to all

It will never happen.

-Matt