AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #41
greenswisher

greenswisher is on a distinguished road

Spot on my friend, everything about it.
greenswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #42
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

There's nothing quite like a warm summer night, taking the Legend for a cruise at about 9pm, windows down, 70 degrees, blowin smoke, and listening to tunes. I can't imagine another car giving me a better high than that.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #43
4HondaOwner
Premium Gas Only

4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough4HondaOwner is a jewel in the rough

Great thread Tom.

Like I wrote to you in a PM, when my present car loses its SOUL, I'll then turn into a Buick owner!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Nino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nino418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
There's nothing quite like a warm summer night, taking the Legend for a cruise at about 9pm, windows down, 70 degrees, blowin smoke, and listening to tunes. I can't imagine another car giving me a better high than that.

You definitely understand what the "soul" of the legend produces in terms of emotional response, but what I forgot to include in my original post is that the legend is not the only car that has a soul. A car with character is one that not only gets you from A to B, but also serves a double role and can provide an exhilarating driving experience for the drive when he/she wants to go out and have some fun. A car with "soul" however, is a car that produces an emotional response from the driver everytime it is driven. Cars with "soul" are rare to come by, but they can be I dentified by their ability to give you those "warm and fuzzy" feelings when you drive and their abiltly to take on a unique personality of their own. This is why you can drive 2 physically identical legends, but their personality and the emotional feelings they produce from the driver are completely unique. The reason it is hard to produce a car with soul is because it's not just something you can buy off the shelf, it has to be built into the car when it's created. Some cars that have "soul" other than the legend are the S2000, NSX, the Ferrari F40, a Morgan, old Astons, old MGs, a V16 Caddy from the 30s, etc. These are cars that take on unique individual personalities and create a strong bond emotionally with the driver. The reason for this is that cars with "soul" are built differently than ones without it. They are cars built with passion, care, pride, and dedication. You can feel all of these things ooze from a car with soul; they are not just machines that were assebled but crafted by individuals that actually cared about making something more than just "a car." My current TL is very well built, uses quality materials, and feels solid, however it just doesn't have soul. When I disassembled certain things in the tl to service it or perform modifications I immediately noticed how different, and how much passion and care was put into building the Legend, vs this newer TL. Take the interior components for example; the legends are built thick, solid, and from nice quality material that is soft to the touch everywhere. The headliner is smooth squshy vinyl that never peals away and sags like other vehicles of that era, the door pannels are heavy, thick, and secured with more screws than nessisary to insure it held strong, the carpet and floormats are thick and plush, tightly stitched, and cover areas that never would normally be seen unless you were to remove certain parts like the seats. Did they need to go to these extremes when they originally built the car? No, but the fact that they did means they built this car with passion, care, and SOUL and they not only built the interior like this but the WHOLE CAR. After 20+ years, hundreds of thousands of miles, my legend still felt as solid as the day it was built. It didn't raddle, it didn't feel cheep, nothing fell apart when I drove it, and when I had to take it apart, it took time and had to be carefully disassembled by removing lots of screws bolts and fasteners. Almost nothing is built like that anymore. The TL is built with high quality, but with no soul. That "extra mile" was not taken, it was put together to be nice and well built, but not with the thought of how things would hold up in 20 years or more. Interior pieces are nice and not super "plasticy" but they aren't super soft like the legends and they are half the thickness. The doorpannels are light, as are the doors themselves and are held on by Many clips, but very little screws. The same is true for the rest of the interior, gone is that beautiful "crafted" feeling of the legend in which care was needed for dissasembly, and in it's place panels and parts that snap together Like legos. No longer is a screwdriver or socket held in your hand constantly while removing things, but instead parts are removed using by your fingers popping them off or prying them up as you cringe to the sound that you are almost certain is plastic breaking. A panel "remover" tool and a screwdriver are occasionally needed, but at a rate that is 80% less than how much they are needed in a legend. And the same goes for other areas of the car; the TL had huge potential to be built with soul like the legend was, but the corporate bean counters had already taken over and replaced passion and soul with cost benefit analysis. And the worst part of it all is that the 3rd gen tl only lightly suffers from this corporate cheeping, the brand new 2012 TL shawd w/tech I got as a loaner for a day felt like it had been a GM product. I was sickened, there was no pride, materials felt extremely cheep for being a $45k car, the dash was filled with small, near unreadable buttons that were placed in locations that were completely counter intuitive. Not to mention the horrible panel fit, the harsh ride, the loud interior, and the hidious exterior. I would be ashamed to call it a Honda, never mind an Acura. Case in point, the legend has soul not only because of how it makes you feel as an owner/driver but because it was crafted with soul from the beginning. The same is true for other cars with soul because they are crafted with soul and passion. Without that, a car is well, just a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyumyum View Post
Still makes me laugh when I think about it. "I am ze nurse. Ve do vant zhe legends to do ze overheatinggss. "
R.I.P
Nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #45
Wes
Member that 1 time?

Wes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of lightWes is a glorious beacon of light

And going further with that, having soul is part of the customer's (us) perceived quality. A fundamental rule of quality management is building quality into the product. Which as you said, is exactly what Honda did with the Legend (minus the EGR and headgasket).

I've noticed many newer cars with lightweight plastic that fits together like legos and uses clips as you mentioned. I think it's more of an industry standard today and they are just going with the trend. But nobody said they had to follow the trend when it compromises luxury and quality.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #46
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Nino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nino418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
And going further with that, having soul is part of the customer's (us) perceived quality. A fundamental rule of quality management is building quality into the product. Which as you said, is exactly what Honda did with the Legend (minus the EGR and headgasket).

I've noticed many newer cars with lightweight plastic that fits together like legos and uses clips as you mentioned. I think it's more of an industry standard today and they are just going with the trend. But nobody said they had to follow the trend when it compromises luxury and quality.
Precisely! When you build something that goes somewhat against the "norm" but put a lot of passion and pride into it, well you end up with something that has "soul". The legend, NSX, and s2000 went against the "norm" not only for Honda but the industry as well. A super high quality japanese luxury car that beat the Europeans in price and overall package, a highly advanced handbuilt supercar that cost less than it's european rivals and could not only hang with them performance wise, but had the same legendary reliability of well a Honda, and a 2 seat convertible that again, cost less then it's German or European rivals, was semi-hand built, had a motor that could sing a 9k rpm symphony, and had a driving experience that was better than all it's competition; these were cars that were different from the norm and built with soul. Sadly, you just don't see that same passion for innovation and changing the game from Honda anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyumyum View Post
Still makes me laugh when I think about it. "I am ze nurse. Ve do vant zhe legends to do ze overheatinggss. "
R.I.P
Nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #47
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you Tom about the squeeks, rattles and so forth of the newer cars. My Infiniti was a coproprate lease and they left me the original stiker ($50K) and it has moans and rattles and it just hit 100K in mileage. My Legend now has a few moans and creaks but has nearly TRIPLE the mileage and is a 1994 model year car that hit the street in Dec 1993. My Infiniti is a 2006 that was in use in late 2005. I should be getting another 12 years from the new car but alas it wasn't created with the same apparent passion as the Legend and in my opinion will become another disposable car unlike the feel I get from my Legend. The Legend rules... check and mate!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
AzCards75

AzCards75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott View Post
This novella on an iphone?

LOL This needs to be on Soap net.. Or Uni vision

92 5speed, 3.5 ,Type II intake,Type II cams, Sr5 Stage III ECU, cold air intake. Magna flow cat..2.5 cat back pipe.With a magna flow dual tip 14815 muffler.
AzCards75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #49
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

Well said Tom. This is my favorite quote from what you wrote:

"When the perfect legend with it's own unique personality and soul meets the perfect owner to pilot it and take its worn out, dying mechanical shell, infuse it with a new heart and shiny new replacements for all it's warn out parts, and transforming it into what it wanted to be, what it deserved to be.... A Legend."

You nailed that son-bitch right into my heart. And that's why I love my G1. I have driven different cars (Acura, Nissan, Toyota, etc...), and for some reason, I just fell in love with the Legend. I've driven other Legends (G1 & G2), the one I picked up, handled and drove differently from others. There were times when I wanted to give up on it, but everytime I think of giving it away, it's like you're losing a piece of your own soul.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.

Last edited by l4zy415; 09-12-2012 at 02:42 PM.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
FutureX 2001
L E G E N D

FutureX 2001 is on a distinguished road

My family has asked why I haven't gotten rid of my '95 Legend Coupe. Soon I'll be fixing the motor and the cost will be close to ~80% of its' current market value. I can't get rid of it though. I've thought about it, a fairly recent 2008+ BMW 335i has crossed my mind a few times.

Then I find myself wanting to fix Legend....just one more time.... then one more... then one more.... heck its' GS Sedan brother sitting in the Garage for no reason rather than not wanting to sell it

It must run in the family... one of my uncles has a 1987 Coupe in garage... he never takes it out! It has a faulty fuel pump but I think he doesn't fix it on purpose... so he can leave it in there. He said he'll give it to his son one day (needs about 8 more years to go!). He has a 1990 Coupe he's using as a daily driver... which was my first Legend...

Last edited by FutureX 2001; 09-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote