AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > Off-Topic > The Water Cooler

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Nino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nino418
Default Confessions of a Former Legend Owner...

I have been holding these thoughts and emotions in since the day my legend left my hands. I'll warn you now, this is a massive book of a post. If you have some time to kill and don't mind reading, grab a coffee, a snack, and a comfortable place to sit. If reading a huge post doesn't interest you then ill save you some time by saying you might want to find another thread to read. If you are still here, well enjoy my confessions as a former legend owner:

The 8 months of driving and owning something other than a Legend has given me a lot of time to think, mostly because I now had more time on my hands due to not having to work on the TL because it doesn't have something breaking all the time like the legend... While having a more reliable car is nice, I really miss having to tinker with the legend because of the occasional malfunction. *I have been up in the air for a month or so to even make this thread; it's almost like a blog, but I feel that there are things that must be said to see if others feel the same way I do.

*Before someone makes the comment "well why don't you just get another legend as a fun weekend car?" it should be known that if I had the ability to have 2 cars right now I wouldn't be making this post because I would still own a legend. And no, I'm not selling the TL and going legend shopping, while I miss the legend dearly it is no longer practical for a DD in my eyes and I am way more than unbelievably satisfied with the TL driving experience.

So, most of you are probably asking yourself, then why are you making this post then? Well for many reasons, but we will get into those later. For the time being, just know that I miss having a legend not just because I miss owning and driving it, but because I haven't been able to fill the hole it left in my life after it was gone. Now your thinking "WTF is he on about now?"

*Any true diehard legend enthusiast might begin to understand what I mean; I'm talking the full on completely obsessed "legendhead." To all of us legend extremists, legend ownership is more than having a passion for owning a cool old Acura and standing out, no-no. To us, owning a legend is something much more special and really only happens when there is a perfect match between a particular car and a particular driver/owner. *Now your asking yourself, "what do you mean? A legend is a legend and a legend enthusiast likes all legends."

Not exactly... Yes all legend enthusiasts like legends, but every legend is very very different. *However when I say different, it has very little to do with the normal physical differences of each legend (coupe, sedan, auto, manual, color, L,LS,GS, or Base) but the somewhat unmeasurable difference that makes each legend completely and undisputedly unique. "Ok, now you lost me..." I'll explain: I like cars that have a character and charm to them, cars that are more than just a daily appliance to satisfy a need or demand. Example: a Buick century is an appliance; a boring, hideous, characterless product by an American car company with corporate bean counters over-ruling every decision during the car's development to make sure that it was produced as cheaply as possible and produced the highest amount of profit for the company when sold. It is a pathetic excuse for an automobile and every one should be destroyed in the most torturous way possible for being one of the most down right awful vehicles ever to be produced in this country. *It is a biblical piece of shit. (no offense to any Buick century owners here, I don't hate you I just don't like that particular car.)

Moving on, if you search for a car with character in that same mid-size family sedan category that has lots of character you stumble on none other than our good friend... The Honda Accord. For years I have always loved the Accords, my family had tons of them over the years and each and every generation has always produced a car that I could find very little fault with. They are currently one of the few vehicles Honda makes, and that you can even find that still offers the option of a manual trans, and it's styling, while sometimes conservative, is very attractive and rarely has anyone saying "dear lord what were they thinking?" I am *NOT using the accord crosstour in this example; it's really not an accord and it really has me wondering WTF Honda was thinking when they made it. *Moving on, in addition to good looks, many models with different engine+trans options to chose from, and a long history of being a #1 seller, the accord also delivers a fun, pleasurable and when pushed, extremely exhilarating driving experience. Which in turn, produces a car with a lot of good character and charm that people love.

When you drive an accord (or most hondas) you have a nice sense of connection to the car and in turn receive tons of feedback and communication from the road as you drive along. It's fun, it makes you smile, and the more you push the more character and charm you receive from the car. All of these things add up and produce something that is not just a daily appliance, but also an outlet for those looking to go out and have a fun driving experience. *Still with me? Ok good.

*Now, after 8 months of living with the 3rd Gen TL I can gladly report that it is a car full of character, you feel very connected to not only the car, but the road, putting it through it's paces and pushing it hard will always leave you not only with a huge smile on your face, but extremely impressed at just how well this thing handles extremely spirited and aggressive driving. And when you slow things down and just want to have a relaxing cruise home, it immediately becomes a extremely comfortable, smooth, highway cruiser that devours miles easier than trying to find a nipple at a strip club. However it almost is too smooth at times, the engine and transmission work so well and so smoothly that they are almost over-refined.

The j32 winds up throughout the entire rev-range so smoothly and without any hit of thrash, buzzing, vibration, or drama whatsoever that I found myself forgetting it was even there numerous times. Add in the extremely quiet interior, an exhaust with 3 cats, 3 mufflers and a resonator, and a massive silenced airbox, and the end result becomes an engine so quiet that the secret service with all their listening devices would be scratching their heads trying to find if it actually produced any sound at all. *This resulted in me having to constantly watch the tach when going through the gears after getting on the highway and cruising along at 70 in second gear without even knowing! The motor was humming along at 6700 rpm so smoothy and so quietly that I didn't even realize I had forgotten to change up. It wasn't until I went to speed up for an overtake, and had nothing but the reins pulled in by the 7000 rpm rev-limiter that I realized I was still in 2nd! From that day forward I had to stare at the tach until the CAI I instantly ordered came in and the extra muffler and resonator were removed from the exhaust. Thankfully, that did the trick and I can now hear that lovely song this engine produces, making shifting much easier and ending the need to stare at the tach.

Now, we understand cars that have no character and cars that do. We also now have established that the TL does have character and is a fun car to live with, even though it does have a few flaws. I should also mention at this point that you know as well as I do that the legend is a car with character.....LOTS of character, it's definitely NOT an appliance. But what makes it so special? What is this unmeasurable thing that makes every single legend different from each other? And "if the Legend and TL both are cars with good character, why did letting go of the Legend leave such a big hole in your life and cause you to write this giant book of a post?" And now we finally get to the answer of all these questions that you have probably been asking yourselves. (or you gave up after 3 sentences and wrote me off as another crazy person) You want to know why owning a Legend is so much more complex than most other cars? If you are a true diehard completely obsessed Legend enthusiast, then you already know the answer I'm about to give you. Here it goes:

What makes a Legend so special to own, that few other cars truly have these days, which left a giant currently un-fillable hole in my life, and what makes each and every Legend "different" and completely unique in an unmeasurable, undisputed way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyumyum View Post
Still makes me laugh when I think about it. "I am ze nurse. Ve do vant zhe legends to do ze overheatinggss. "
R.I.P

Last edited by Nino418; 09-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Nino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura aboutNino418 has a spectacular aura about

Answer: While some cars have a lot of character they will never be a Legend, because an Acura Legend has SOUL.

There, I said it, and if you don't believe me, you haven't driven too many Legends or you really aren't a diehard Legend enthusiast, or car enthusiast for that matter. My previous few years experience working at Gateway automotive allowed me to come in contact with, work on, and drive literally Hundreds of different legends of all styles, color combos, years, and trim levels in both stock and modified form, and those with unbelievably low, average, and super high mileage.

*(for those that aren't aware, Gateway was the Legend Mecca, the place where dead or dying Legends went to be reborn. If you owned a Legend and hadn't brought it there to get checked out, you were just plain stupid. The amount of knowledge Matt, the owner, has about these cars is just simply BIBLICAL.)*

So what did I learn being able to drive and work on all those Legends? It further confirmed my original statement of legends having soul. *Why? Because out of the massive number of legends I drove over the years, not a single one felt ANYTHING like another. Every one felt and was completely "different," every single one was totally 100% unique. "But what's this unique unmeasurable part of the equation" you ask?

It's how each Legend makes you feel emotionally when you drive it. Every Legend "talks" if you will to who is behind the wheel. The feeling is unmeasurable because it is so different from car to car, *but if you have driven any other legend but your own you know what I am going on about. Each Legend has something that makes you feel different as you drive along, and that piece is it's SOUL. It's a car that you can feel was not made by penny pinching corporate dickheads, but rather spawned from deep within the imaginary minds of designers and engineers that wanted to go "big or go home" and create something that truly changes the game. And they wanted to create a car that did all these things so bad that you can tell they poured their heart and soul into it. And when the workers went to build this car, they strived for nothing more than perfection, using the highest quality materials and making sure every stitch, nut, bolt, and clip was done perfectly.

"But why would they go that extra mile to build these cars?" Because this car was completely TABOO to everything Honda stood for at the time. *(A big v6 super expensive luxury car from Honda in the mid 80's and early 90's? How could a car company that prides itself on complete efficiency, practicality, and not making things of the "excessive, expensive, wasteful" nature produce such a thing? The exact opposite of everything a company stands for? BLASPHEMY!)

What they didn't know, or understand for that matter, was that everyone at Honda involved with this car had no intentions of forgetting what their company stood for, but rather used those principles to create what could arguably be, one of the most important, memorable, beautiful, advanced, highest quality, most loved and quite possibly the BEST 4 door luxury sedan and coupe ever produced by Honda, EVER.

There is a damn good reason why they chose a name that reflected all their hard work on this car so accurately, because when a car company is run by TRUE CAR PURISTS that don't listen to the corporate penny counters and put their heart and soul into developing a car not for *profit maximization, but rather to completely take what was "the game" and throw it upside down, backwards, and out the damn window with their newest creation, it deserves a name to honor what it would ultimately become. After over 25 years since it's introduction, and with the very last ones produced just a few years away from the 2 decade old mark, that name has still not been forgotten nor has the car that wears it like a badge of honor. What that car company created all those years ago, truly was, a LEGEND.

*A car built with passion and soul, and produced with extreme care and high quality. And when you go from owning a little piece of history like that, to not having one well... There really isn't much out there that will fill the space it left behind. *Especially when the perfect legend with it's own unique personality and soul meets the perfect owner to pilot it and take its worn out, dying mechanical shell, infuse it with a new heart and shiny new replacements for all it's warn out parts, and transforming it into what it wanted to be, what it deserved to be.... A Legend.

I have pondered the thought of going out and trying to find another legend one day when I have more space to keep one, but I have to keep telling myself no. Why? Because I will never find that "perfect" Legend for me again, but not the prefect you think of. Not a mint, low mileage, white, red, or black legend. No, those are far to beautiful for me, while I love too look at how pretty, oem and perfectly preserved these original time-capsules are; I could never own one. I would be far to stressed out worrying about microbes, uv rays, air mixture, and the bacteria in skin oils destroying the cars perfect state. As a result, I'd be to afraid to take it out of it's super secured garage and out for a cruise, god forbid a bug ends up splattered on it's finish. *Because of all these fears, I could never bring myself to buy a mint legend because, well I would never drive it, but god do I have respect for people like MarcD that actually do break these old sub 40k mile "time-capsules" out for a cruise once and a while.

Me, I love the "forgotten" legends. Ones which sit unused because their owners got new cars or ones that were taken in on trade by a dealer. Ones that had a mechanical problem that never got worked out, ones that need love, lots of love to go back to what they used to be. You don't have to worry about them as much, they aren't perfect, the paint is more than likely shot, and a rock chip or odd scratch isn't the end of the world. It's just another battle scar in a long list of many. But the real reason I like these types of "forgotten" legends is that they usually have the craziest personalities of them all and their soul, while unpredictable at times, usually is as soothing as a nice hot bowl of your grandmothers chicken soup when you have a cold. It just instantly makes you feel whole again. These cars may have their moments, but it makes each and every time you go for a drive something new and different, and that is the ultimate motoring goal for any car enthusiast.

*If you actually have read this far, well I thank you for taking the time to do so. Hopefully this confirmed that you aren't the only one that feels this way about the legend, or that you now know there are crazier people than you on this site.... I'm hoping it's not that latter. *I'll close with this final statement: My biggest confession as a former Legend owner is that I finally realized I didn't just lose a car when I sent my Legend to a new home, I lost my friend

Quote:
Still makes me laugh when I think about it. "I am ze nurse. Ve do vant zhe legends to do ze overheatinggss. "
R.I.P

Last edited by Nino418; 09-16-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
the_professional
proFRESHonal

the_professional will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to the_professional

I've got a great shrink for you Tom.

Seriously, good story, I hope the day never comes when the Legend isnt practical enough for me.

Like the old saying goes, "They don't make 'em like they used to."

Keep your two cents, I ain't trying to leave you broke.
the_professional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
bsmooth1027
grill master

bsmooth1027 has a spectacular aura aboutbsmooth1027 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bsmooth1027

ok now my eyes hurt thanks tom just buy heaths sedan and get it over with u know u want it
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Reboticon
Lord Of The Clunker

Tom.

Allow me to introduce you to the paragraph space break.
Reboticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboticon View Post
Tom.

Allow me to introduce you to the paragraph space break.
Nick, i typed that on my iphone. I apologize if there is a lack of paragraphs and page breaks, but they are tough to add in after you have already typed up everything. I'll edit it up a bit on my computer later.

Quote:
R.I.P
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Reboticon
Lord Of The Clunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino418 View Post
Nick, i typed that on my iphone. I apologize if there is a lack of paragraphs and page breaks, but they are tough to add in after you have already typed up everything. I'll edit it up a bit on my computer later.
Tom. I think you are insane for typing something that long on your I-phone.

But, on the other hand (get it?), I lack the fingers to do that.
Reboticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Vic Cardenas

Vic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the roughVic Cardenas is a jewel in the rough

Good read, Tom. Needs more paragraphs though.
I think that's why I can't ever bring myself to get another car, because of the soul of my legend. I don't feel it when I drive other cars.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Nino418
3.5 Hybrid Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboticon View Post
Tom. I think you are insane for typing something that long on your I-phone.

But, on the other hand (get it?), I lack the fingers to do that.
Hahaha, yes i get it. But at least you didnt lose your WHOLE finger, that would have sucked. As for being crazy for typing it up on my phone, i had no idea how long it actually was until i tried to post it and it spit it back saying i was over 5000 characters over the limit. I had been picking away at it all day today during coffee breaks between my classes. I guess i ended up writing more than i thought.

Quote:
R.I.P
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
GreekPower

GreekPower will become famous soon enoughGreekPower will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GreekPower Send a message via MSN to GreekPower Send a message via Yahoo to GreekPower Send a message via Skype™ to GreekPower

holy fuck I need a slushee to read this

PM BOX IS FULL! Text me 724-584-0340
7/28/10 7:37pm Hell has frozen over Greek REMOVED his engine
1/26/13 7:23pm SHE RUNS! video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se4r5Y3RjqA
5/18/13 3:27pm DYNO! 577whp/501wtq @19psi
GreekPower is offline   Reply With Quote