AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > AcuraLegend.Org > New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
maximdan
maximdan

maximdan is on a distinguished road
Smile Newbie here, 2nd time Acura owner

Hello all,

My name is Daniel and I just picked up a 1988 Legend Coupe 5 speed from a high school friend. He brought the car down from the Bay Area to RADwood SoCal event this past weekend (where I met Tyson, who introduced me to this forum) and I am just getting to know the car as I bought the car without asking questions, just based on the photos I saw.

1. White 1988 Acura Legend Coupe Base Model with 5 speed manual with fabric interior.
2. It currently has about 193,000 miles.
3. It drives well and stops well.
4. Very few rust spots.
5. Many felt pieces in the interior are in bad shape, so I want to scrape them off in coming weeks.
6. All windows go up and down, but slooowly. My friend suggested that I shouldn't use the back windows much as the motor will be almost impossible to source when they fail. No problem.
7. Rearview mirror has weird looking spots, but must be age related. Will cover it up with aftermarket larger mirror.
8. Haven't looked closely under the car, yet, but haven't seen any oil leaks in the driveway, although I was told that power steering fluid does leak little.
9. Some tears and missing screws in interior, so I will be visiting local junkyard to source some of the missing screws soon.

10. One serious issue that I did encounter so far is that brake lights work intermittently. I have replaced all the bulbs (four 2057 bulbs and one 1156 bulb) and checked all the fuses. The brake lamps did light up couple of times, but at the moment, it's not working. Before I take it to a mechanic, any suggestions as to what may be the cause of this problem?

I so look forward to being a part of the Acura Legend community. This is my second Acura, first one being 2003 CL, which I enjoyed owning until we needed larger car for kids.

Thank you all in advance and wishing everyone happy holidays.

Last edited by maximdan; 12-09-2019 at 12:05 PM.
maximdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Forum Danie!

Regarding your brake lights, there is a plastic insert in the brake pedal lever (and another in the clutch pedal lever) that pushes against a 3-position switch which activates the brake lights and deactivates the cruise control. This plastic insert deteriorates over time and once it falls out the brake pedal will no longer activate the switch.

If the plastic insert is still good, or has been replaced with something else, you may need to adjust the position of the switch. If I remember correctly there is a nut you turn that adjusts the position of the switch.

As for the windows moving slowly, you may need to clean and lubricate the window channels.

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Forum Daniel!! Kennon I see has already posted EXACTLY what I was going to say. If you literally Google "acura brake sensor stopper" pictures will pop up and you can get them from just about any parts store. I pulled the Acura parts diagram and can see the stopper but the part number isn't listed (thanks Acura ). If Kevin (4HondaOwner) comes in and sees your post I KNOW he knows the part number. He has given out a few at meets in the past as those things are VERY common to deteriorate in these 25 plus year old cars. Enjoy your stay and I'm glad to hear our forum "rock star" Tyson pointed you here!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
maximdan
maximdan

Thank you both so much for welcoming me to the community and your very clear and specific input regarding the brake light issue. Much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Ha ha I've used my scientist skills and cross referenced for the brake/clutch pedal stopper part number. It is 46505-SA5-000 (courtesy of Ebay and Honda parts confirmed).

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...5-sa5-000.html

Last edited by 94LegendaryAcuraGS; 12-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
94LegendaryAcuraGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
maximdan
maximdan

Thank you soooo much!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

Welcome!
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
srqlegend

srqlegend is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Legend forums!

I just learned something ...

Here's a video that shows how to replace it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQy7GT13Ao0

Cheers,
Old 12-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Tyson
Road Trip King

Tyson will become famous soon enoughTyson will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard! And, congrats on your purchase! Glad I was able to be there to witness the key handoff ceremony.

Thanks Alex for the sig!
http://drivetofive.wordpress.com
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
maximdan
maximdan

Thank you all for your warm welcome!